VOA - Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 (Old vs. New Oxidation Levels?)

Does anyone know when the formula supposedly changed where the oxidation levels were reduced? In this set of VOAs, last February, I sent a sample that was made in November 2022 and this February, I sent a second sample that was made in November 2023 and the oxidation levels are the same.

I am not complaining and am happy the stash I have appears to be exactly the same, but was curious if there really was a change.

@OVERKILL + @buster

VOA_M1ESP_0W-30_2022_vs_2023.jpg

What was the API service level of the Nov. 2023 bottle?

With the ESP 5W30, there was a change from SN to SP that coincided with the drop in starting oxidation.

With the ESP 5W30, there was a change from SN to SP that coincided with the drop in starting oxidation.
I will check when I get home, but at the same time, I do not remember seeing an API designation on the jug. It is ACEA C3, but I will check and post photos of both jugs.

How did you come up with the idea that the formulation might have been changed? Those two reports look very similar

How did you come up with the idea that the formulation might have been changed? Those two reports look very similar
It was not my "idea", it was stated here on the forum. The formula (based upon these two VOAs) has not changed, and I glad it has not.

No API designation.

November 2022:

20240226_165922.jpg

November 2023:

20240226_165928.jpg

The newest is SP rated & we've seen a drop in oxidation across Mobil's products so It's possible the SP version is lower. Well, the 0w-30 ESP product pdf says SP ETR. I'm not sure what the ETR stands for?

The newest is SP rated & we've seen a drop in oxidation across Mobil's products so It's possible the SP version is lower. Well, the 0w-30 ESP product pdf says SP ETR. I'm not sure what the ETR stands for?
ETR = Engine Test Requirements.

Any production dates?

Does anyone know when the formula supposedly changed where the oxidation levels were reduced?
Are we sure the formulation changed on 0W30? We know it did on the 5W30, but your VOA indicates maybe they just left the 0W30 alone (hence the "SP ETR" instead of an official API SP).

Are we sure the formulation changed on 0W30? We know it did on the 5W30, but your VOA indicates maybe they just left the 0W30 alone (hence the "SP ETR" instead of an official API SP).
No, I don't think we know if the 0w30 grade was changed. It would be unusual though for Mobil to only change one grade but not completely unreasonable.

For me, if I can take advantage of one more 20% off at O'Reilly's and provided it is the same manufacture date, I just need 5 more jugs to give me enough for a long while.

No, I don't think we know if the 0w30 grade was changed. It would be unusual though for Mobil to only change one grade but not completely unreasonable.
It's crazy to me that the Euro requirements are so far apart that they can't harmonize an additive package except in the FS 0W-40 / 5W-50 and ESP 5W-30. I would love to understand how an oil like this 0W-30 can't meet a BMW spec or the X3 0W-40 as well.

It's crazy to me that the Euro requirements are so far apart that they can't harmonize an additive package except in the FS 0W-40 / 5W-50 and ESP 5W-30. I would love to understand how an oil like this 0W-30 can't meet a BMW spec or the X3 0W-40 as well.
That is a really good point. I agree.

Back