VOA Valvoline Maxlife 150k Synthetic Blend 5w30

I was recently able to pick up some of the Valvoline Maxlife 150k stuff for under $11 per 5 qt. Figured I’d get a VOA. The bottle was shaken well before sampling.

IMG_2388.jpeg

For only a little bit more might as well go with the Full Synthetic, they are pretty similar overall but the full synthetic has a lot more moly.

Seems our EU Maxlife but it adds magnesium, boron, lower ZDDP and visco, typical FE for US.
Price is :eek: Here 5w30 Maxlife C3 5qt is 29-33$.

I was recently able to pick up some of the Valvoline Maxlife 150k stuff for under $11 per 5 qt. Figured I’d get a VOA. The bottle was shaken well before sampling.

View attachment 171834
Not surprisingly, identical addpack to the 5W20 I tested awhile back:

Just a little thicker then the 8.77 cSt of the 5W20.

Thanks for posting this. I added it to the VOA Database.

Looks just fine.. It's funny how Valvoline moved the goal post for longer lasting vehicles now. 75k was the standard for as long as I can remember & now I've lived long enough to see it got a bump to 150k. I'm sure the other's will follow their lead. Interesting times! Thanks for sharing.

Looks just fine.. It's funny how Valvoline moved the goal post for longer lasting vehicles now. 75k was the standard for as long as I can remember & now I've lived long enough to see it got a bump to 150k. I'm sure the other's will follow their lead. Interesting times! Thanks for sharing.
They have products for 75k and 150k. Not sure what differentiates the two.

Thanks! I just visited the @himemsys Oil Database & the add packs are slightly different ratio's. HERE
Interesting the 150k stuff seems weaker than all the rest of their lineup. Given how expensive it normally is, and the marketing of it being better for older cars, it seems strange. Maybe they’re trying to protect emissions systems? Maybe some organic compound differences?

Interesting the 150k stuff seems weaker than all the rest of their lineup. Given how expensive it normally is, and the marketing of it being better for older cars, it seems strange. Maybe they’re trying to protect emissions systems? Maybe some organic compound differences?
Bingo! That's exactly right. Emissions Protection on newer vehicles.

I figured it would be emissions protection for older vehicles. Ones with more wear on their cats, etc. I.e, cars with 150k+ miles.
I get what you're saying but I was comparing the 75k vs 150k. The 150k has less additives than 75k version b/c of newer vehicle emissions requirements. The 150k HM version is tailored to "Newer, longer lasting, vehicles" not necessarily older ones. I know this sounds funny but it makes sense in my mind. I'll have to go read their sales flyer again for this 150k oil. They mention something to the effect of newer vehicles lasting longer than ever prompted them to launch the 150.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying but I was comparing the 75k vs 150k. The 150k has less additives than 75k version b/c of newer vehicle emissions requirements. The 150k HM version is tailored to "Newer, longer lasting, vehicles" not necessarily older ones. I know this sounds funny but it makes sense in my mind. I'll have to go read their sales flyer again for this 150k oil. They mention something to the effect of newer vehicles lasting longer than ever prompted them to launch the 150.
One does not know if there are "less additives" since a simple spectrographic analysis does not show additives. All one might say is that the analysis shows less of certain elements from decomposed compounds. Beyond that, how it translates to performance is entirely unknown.

One does not know if there are "less additives" since a simple spectrographic analysis does not show additives. All one might say is that the analysis shows less of certain elements from decomposed compounds. Beyond that, how it translates to performance is entirely unknown.
Right, That is what I'm saying. I can't say it has less of what I don't see. I'm sure it's great oil for it's intended market regardless.

Back