Maxlife 5w30 Blend Storage question

Hey all

I do a yearly end of season oil change on my 2002 Trans Am. It calls for 5.2L - depending on drain time it’s between 5.2-5.5L for a refill.

I started with 2 5L jugs of maxlife blend 5w30, used one full bottle and .5L from the second jug. I’ve used a ziplock bag between bottle and cap to seal it better and it’s in a climate controlled area. Would I be ok to use this bottle as my .25-.5 bottle for the next like 10 years and just buy one jug to use with it or is this not a great idea?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9358.jpeg
    IMG_9358.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 32
Your oil will be fine in ten years. It might need a shakin before you use it. I think the plastic bag is overkill if you have the jug in a climate controlled area. The plastic might interfere with the cap's sealing abilities.

Great question. I have three or four jugs of Maxlife bought on clearance 6 months ago. Won't be using any until 6/8 months from now. Good to know.

Per Valvoline FAQ

DOES MOTOR OIL EXPIRE? IF NOT, HOW LONG DOES MOTOR OIL GENERALLY LAST?

Valvoline motor oils do not have documented expiration dates. When stored under optimal conditions, the product remains stable for an extended period of time. It can be used as long as the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating on the label continues to meet or exceed the requirements listed in your car’s owner's manual. If the rating is still current, we advise you shake the container before use to blend any additives that may have settled.

That said, (2) 5qt jugs and (1) 1 qt bottle will give you approximately two changes and make this problem go away.

Per Valvoline FAQ

Valvoline motor oils do not have documented expiration dates. When stored under optimal conditions, the product remains stable for an extended period of time. It can be used as long as the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating on the label continues to meet or exceed the requirements listed in your car’s owner's manual. If the rating is still current, we advise you shake the container before use to blend any additives that may have settled.

That said, (2) 5qt jugs and (1) 1 qt bottle will give you approximately two changes and make this problem go away.
Good to know - in Canada it’s hard to find and Amazon the 5L is only 15$ more then the 1l so it was a easy choice

Per Valvoline FAQ

Valvoline motor oils do not have documented expiration dates.
Valvoline of all brands bragging? The irony!

I used to think that motor oil in sealed containers can last an eternity. I am not so sure anymore, after I poured 13-year-old Valvoline MaxLife NextGen from sealed bottles and found thick white greasy substance at the bottom of every bottle. This oil is still in my Jag's engine, mixed with some fresh Rotella T6. No issues so far after ~1,000 miles. Still, I did not expect the oil to separate/solidify like this. Perhaps an expert can comment on what that white substance is an whether or not it will liquify again with heat-cycling??

Valvoline MaxLife NextGen grease small.JPG
Oil change 20231007 small.JPG

Valvoline of all brands bragging? The irony!

I used to think that motor oil in sealed containers can last an eternity. I am not so sure anymore, after I poured 13-year-old Valvoline MaxLife NextGen from sealed bottles and found thick white greasy substance at the bottom of every bottle. This oil is still in my Jag's engine, mixed with some fresh Rotella T6. No issues so far after ~1,000 miles. Still, I did not expect the oil to separate/solidify like this. Perhaps an expert can comment on what that white substance is an whether or not it will liquify again with heat-cycling??

View attachment 192191View attachment 192192
I’m no expert. Mobil says five years and that seems reasonable to me.

Most all others say 4-5 years, but it is a cover their butt statement. API changes every 4-6 years, so that timeframe is what they go by.
Several oil analysis done on "old" new oil and it was perfectly fine for use in an engine spec'ed for it.

I feel if th oil meets the engine spec, use it regardless of age, just shake it up a bit before use.

I have used 10 year old oil and had no issues with it. Engine I used it in is still running just fine.

Most all others say 4-5 years, but it is a cover their butt statement. API changes every 4-6 years, so that timeframe is what they go by.
Several oil analysis done on "old" new oil and it was perfectly fine for use in an engine spec'ed for it.

I feel if th oil meets the engine spec, use it regardless of age, just shake it up a bit before use.

I have used 10 year old oil and had no issues with it. Engine I used it in is still running just fine.
I would imagine if the things Mobil says to look out for (sediment, odor, cloudiness etc.) are not present then it is probably fine.

keep at room temperature,, factory sealed containers,,it should last a ..long.. time ,i would shake container good before use,,are some containers dated??

Back