Valvoline Euro 5w40

Well the VOA is in. I'm disappointed, not that it isn't great oil, just not the add pack I was hoping for. Thus the reason for doing VOA's!
I had a similar readout when I sent in a 5w40 sample when it was called "MST". It's just average, not bad, not amazing.

I ran the MST once and liked it, did not do a UOA though. Valvoline is typically shear stable, and often the add pack visible in a cheap UOA is not much to look at either, but the results are almost always stellar.

I ran the MST once and liked it, did not do a UOA though. Valvoline is typically shear stable, and often the add pack visible in a cheap UOA is not much to look at either, but the results are almost always stellar.
Yeah, I mean, it either meets the spec on the bottle or it doesn't.

Most here don't use VOA/UOA for what they're for - trend monitoring.

They are "all there" with exception of Pennzoil Platinum Euro API SP which has very low Zinc.
I used MST in my X5 35d. Exceptional oil. I might try the current 5W40 on track, just because.
I did a UOA and VOA in my car last year with MST. It's a fine oil. I'm not trying to bash on your oil man.
Yeah there was some talk in one of those two threads linked above how Valvoline typically looks not as good as others here in the VOA, but the results are always really good in a UOA.

I did a UOA and VOA in my car last year with MST. It's a fine oil. I'm not trying to bash on your oil man.

Yeah there was some talk in one of those two threads linked above how Valvoline typically looks not as good as others here in the VOA, but the results are always really good in a UOA.
My oil? The last time I used Valvoline it's been like 3 years.
But going to your UOA. To have Iron at 1 in VW is either mistake on the Blackstone part or that Valvoline is the best thing after sliced bread.

My oil? The last time I used Valvoline it's been like 3 years.
But going to your UOA. To have Iron at 1 in VW is either mistake on the Blackstone part or that Valvoline is the best thing after sliced bread.
1200px-Fresh_made_bread_05.jpg

I put it in a friend's 2011 BMW 328i Wagon I was servicing a few months ago. Car had ~160k miles on the N52 engine. It seemed to run very quiet with that oil. I've been running it in a few small engines and will probably try it in my car next change.

I'm curious as to which GM vehicles that the Dexos 2 5w 40 oil is specifically recommended, and also as to individuals using 5w 40 Euro oils in vehicles of other than European manufacture.
I think that's the spec oil for the new Corvette.

Back