Vacuum for Car

I have a shop vac. But also have a toddler. My car smells like Pirates Booty and Graham Crackers. Ok, mostly a joke, but I basically need a vacuum to quickly "pick up" the crumbs from The Kid. It's annoying to get the shop vac out and mess with all that big clunky thing. I've been checking online for a rechargeable vacuum that's small but will clean up crumbs and some dirt off the carpet. Sand from the playground. You know. What's a good, portable vacuum that will reach into the crooks and crannies of a car that will suck up some dog hair, kid crumbs, and give the carpet on the floor a mild cleansing of loose particles. The Internet options that come up seem sketchy to me. Never heard of the brands, etc. Would like to verify the $30-50 I spend (unless I'm being too cheap) will last for a few years and works.

Spending $30-$50 won't work. You'll need to spend hundreds on something to get battery powered and effective.

I've never found a car vacuum I've liked. The ones that run off the vehicle are junk too. Best thing I've found is a $100 hand held corded DeWalt or something vacuum from Home Depot or Lowe's. I can't even remember where I got it, but it's yellow and is corded, and is stronger than the carwash vacuum.

HOW, I am with you. I have been researching these myself for the last few months. I have a 5 gal Craftsman shop vac, and there are times I just don't want to drag it out to clean up some small debris in my car, or on my work bench. I have been looking hard at this model from Ryobi, and it makes sense for me since I have several other tools from them that use the same battery and charger system.

HOW, I am with you. I have been researching these myself for the last few months. I have a 5 gal Craftsman shop vac, and there are times I just don't want to drag it out to clean up some small debris in my car, or on my work bench. I have been looking hard at this model from Ryobi, and it makes sense for me since I have several other tools from them that use the same battery and charger system.

Yeah, if I go some of these routes I'll just be annoyed and use the shop vac. I've contemplated just getting a Dust Buster type thing but the ends don't look like they'll fit nicely between the seat and door and such.

The only vacuums I’ve found capable enough are the heavy duty ones at the car washes.

Recommendation from a former clean vehicle fanatic and now father of four: concede to the chaos and embrace the suck. * Pun intended

The only vacuums I’ve found capable enough are the heavy duty ones at the car washes.

Recommendation from a former clean vehicle fanatic and now father of four: concede to the chaos and embrace the suck. * Pun intended
Every gas station vacuum I've used has less suction than my mouth on a straw from a fast food drink. I'm fairly confident nobody takes care of them or cleans them out and they're all plugged with cat turds and mud. And the "real" car wash vacuums always have a line 10 cars deep.

Yeah, if I go some of these routes I'll just be annoyed and use the shop vac. I've contemplated just getting a Dust Buster type thing but the ends don't look like they'll fit nicely between the seat and door and such.
Well Ryobi also has the cheaper smaller one. Depends on the size of the mess. I have one of the older blue ones. It was ok with the older batteries but tended to kill it quick. Maybe the bigger 4amp hour batteries would make it last longer.

Got this Ryobi portable shop vac 18V. Works great. You will not regret getting this, particularly if you already have the Ryobi ecosystem of tools/batteries. No looking for an outlet, etc. Small, lightweight, portable… just grab it and go. Only minor issue is that some of the hose attachments do not fasten securely to the end of the hose, but not a showstopper. Still works well without the nozzle attachments.

I use a small 6gal Craftsman wet/dry. Same motor and filter cartridge of the big 20+ gallon. Only hassle is running an extension cord. But I attach a 20' hose and for the really tough crevices, a crevice tip. (Go figure) If I belly her up to the nose of most cars and trucks, the 20' hose is more than enough to go on through all 4 doors and vacuum sweep from headliners to door pockets and mats-n-floors. I have to shift her 5' forward to one side to reach the trunk. ^.^

I find the stock, 45° angled brush attachment more than sufficient everywhere it reaches for regular cleanup. She doesn't lack for power. If I need to spot clean and shampoo with a soak then extract, the flat, horizontal solid floor attachment works wonders. The brush alone seems to reduce cleanup time by ½ simply because you can agitate a surface and pull soils quicker.

That's of course speaking anecdotally. My neighbor uses a pretty trick battery pack powered vacuum (Ryobi Li-Ion that shares battery bricks with his other power tools) and I see him go through 3~4 batteries between his two small hybrids and full sized GM classic with waits between as packs rotate off the charger.

A small but powerful mains electric powered vacuum gets my vote.
20220201_002318.jpg

(can of beer for scale....>)

Back