Using SuperTech full synthetic vs name brands

Kirkland brand Synthetic is over a dollar a Jug cheaper and made by the same folks that produce Super Tech.

Not in the 10W-30 weight I use, or yes, I would go for it. (Basically the same oil) 0w-16 and 5w-30 is all I have ever seen there. Great deal if you use those.

ST is fine stuff, but I'm a cheapskate, so I tend to do whatever SOPUS or Mobil 1 product is on sale at Meijer or Wal-Mart with a $10-$12/5qt. rebate. Net cost is $9-$12/jug. Being around for the oil embargoes of the '70s, I still find sport in screwing as much profit out of oil purchases as I can.

ST is fine stuff, but I'm a cheapskate, so I tend to do whatever SOPUS or Mobil 1 product is on sale at Meijer or Wal-Mart with a $10-$12/5qt. rebate. Net cost is $9-$12/jug. Being around for the oil embargoes of the '70s, I still find sport in screwing as much profit out of oil purchases as I can.

Yes this. If you are good about rebates then you can score the "high end" stuff for roughly the same price as WM's everyday low price ST Synth.

But as others have said, the simplicity and on-demand method of buying a jug of ST when needed has its own benefits.

Pr

Yep: M1 EP - 10 qt for just over $20 after rebate at Walmart. Same price for EP and standard after rebate.

That's how my Mustang ended up with M1 last time. The F150 & Lincoln MKX got free Essential Service Worker changes at Ford Quick Lane.

I'm a cheapskate too, but I value the time I'd spend filling out and mailing rebate forms, plus mailing rebate checks to the bank.

Rebates can be done online now, instead of snail mail. You'll get the rebate sooner as well
I'll do the rebate/closeout/discontinued thing too before I just springing for Super Tech, Kirkland, MAG 1, Pro Line etc. I'm still in search of some closeout oils at the local parts stores so that I can build up a decent stash.

Thousands and thousands of Blackstone Lab reports and mountains of evidence suggests ST is just as good as something that costs $15 more.
Good enough and just as good are two different things … It’s not a long run formula for one thing …
Odds are it’s a semi formula that exploits what the USA can call synthetic … EHC etc …
For OP’s car and 5k it’s a good choice.

Good enough and just as good are two different things … It’s not a long run formula for one thing …
Odds are it’s a semi formula that exploits what the USA can call synthetic … EHC etc …
For OP’s car and 5k it’s a good choice.
Sorry could you elaborate what you mean by it being a semi?

Sorry could you elaborate what you mean by it being a semi?
Buster posted some @XOM material on their EHC base stock. It is a Grp2+ that targets Dexos etc for formulator customers … but typically needs some Grp3 to hit other performance tests
Warren is a customer
XOM did 3 plant expansions to produce EHC

Wouldn't 5k oil changes be too early for synthetic? 5k is more like for syn blends or conventional

I think 5K mile OCI is too early with synthetic oils, at least for the regular driver(s). And I agree that most conventional(a.k.a. blends) can do that or even go 6K miles. Of course, YMMV!

5000 mile(maybe even 6000 mile) OCI is the new 3000. Quite in the same way that 50 yrs old is the new 30 and sitting is the new smoking, etc. etc.

I did almost verbatim what you are doing. OEM filter, 5k changes on my 2014 elantra. after 100k, I changed to ST FS but in a 5w-30. It just seems those engine “like” the 5w-30 better. I ad two oil reports and both stated to test at longer intervals. Use with confidence.

Thousands and thousands of Blackstone Lab reports and mountains of evidence suggests ST is just as good as something that costs $15 more.
You could take WM ST, put it in a weird color bottle, give it a sexy name, price it at 40 bucks a jug, and do some boastful adverts, and there would be a squad on here telling us how amazingly good it was.

Super Tech is not just a "decent oil" or a "good oil for the price". I'd say you'd be hard pressed to prove it's worse than anything else with equal specifications. I've used it many times on many different vehicles including the present Hyundai. If i didn't have a stash, i would use it exclusively in the Santa Fe Sport which is a turbo.

The ONLY downside to SuperTech for a bitoger is that there is no website you can peruse.

Buster posted some @XOM material on their EHC base stock. It is a Grp2+ that targets Dexos etc for formulator customers … but typically needs some Grp3 to hit other performance tests
Warren is a customer
XOM did 3 plant expansions to produce EHC
Agreed. It probably is not a full synthetic, it is Group II+ with some III to deliver performance levels similar to a low-end Group III based synthetic. Additive pack is probably the bare minimum.

I would consider it a 3-5K oil in a demanding application.

The Warren oil additive package is not really bare bones...

1,300+ Ca

540 Mg

740 Phos

800+ Zinc

78 molybdenum

240 boron

CCS at -30°F of 3,200 which is the lowest I have seen tested by PQIA.

And a 11.3 viscosity ...

That is a rather common additive type package seen in most other brand name full "synthetic" oils...

The oil above is from Peak full synthetic that has a very similar additive package to other oils blended by Warren Distribution. Whether that be Federated Auto parts full synthetic or Supertech or Peak full synthetic. The Dexos approval number ending with HH045 or HG025 are the ones that WD has made for those places mentioned above and other stores has well.

1597794843186.png

1597794885833.png

Back