Using non-fancy Motor oils.

I did road service for 7 years and I'd be willing to bet 99% of the broken down cars on the road equate to 1 of 3 things... out of gas, a flat tire or the battery is dead... after that comes various mechanical and electrical maladies, but they are extremely rare compared to the first 3.. even crappy oil takes a long time to show up, and the type of person who doesn't do maintenance is the same type who even if they paid top dollar for oil would still have the same problems.
What do you think the problem is with the VW approval that’s causing all this? 504 00 must be deficient in some way.

Took my old suzuki swift '13 1200cc on 1000km (620miles) road trip through Iceland westfjords the most extreme driving conditions in IS. With lots of 10-15% incline gravel roads high above sea level, roads who can easily rip off the oil pan on car this size.
The under powered car was reving very high most of the time and coolant temperature closing 100°C (212F) when facing those steep hills ,driving slowly on high revs.
But the demonic Fanfaro NSX 0w20 hold up quite well, and the car didnt burn a "drop" and looked fine. I cant imagine more severe load on this car except racing. And the car has no problem starting in the sub temps.

Mannol has been sold out for some time so im using fanfaro and pemco from now on.

Been thinking about running Mannol oils, 20l container is very reasonably priced depending on which one you choose, ~$5-6/L shipped.

This would require Fancy Motor oil …

IMG_1528.jpeg

Good day experts.

I have been using mannol for high milage suzuki swift 2013 so i recently did oil change on my corolla e180 D4-D model, And replaced the expensive 0w-30 Total quartz ineo with 50% cheaper mannol legend 0w-30.
Only differance i have noticed is the diesel consumption that decreased from 5.0 - 5.1L/100km to 4.9-5.0L/100km. In same winter condition / severe driving.
The quartz was only used about 3100 miles / 5000km.

Is there any reason for me to think mannol is any inferior protection to the engine ? I was even thinking about giving Fanfaro 6719 5w30 c3 a try next time ?

I´m starting to think the motor oil company with the best marketing is automatically regarded the best. I still remember the consumer reports test done in 1996 where all engine oils appeared similar. But it´s quite long time ago. Strange we dont see more of those test.
High cost motor oil is no different than anything else. Prestige. When someone at the water cooler says he spent $15.49/qt and you interject that SuperTech or Costco is just as good, or that you got PP 5 qt for $13 with rebate, whom do you think the boss admires and who gets the big promotion? Not you.

What you can do is post a chart like this in the team group chat and clip the headers out, then say your oil is on the right. Nobody will know what it means anyway and that the higher numbers are worse

IMG_2611.jpeg

The brand doesn't matter as long as you change it often. Ive had vehicles with 3 or 400,000 miles on them using a mix of whatever was on sale and using the cheapest oil filters. Plus the parts store will always carry new cams and bearings if the factory ones give out, that way people like me can keep bragging about using cheap oil. All that does matter is the brand of wax and tire slickem you use. A clean car lasts longer.

The brand doesn't matter as long as you change it often. Ive had vehicles with 3 or 400,000 miles on them using a mix of whatever was on sale and using the cheapest oil filters. Plus the parts store will always carry new cams and bearings if the factory ones give out, that way people like me can keep bragging about using cheap oil. All that does matter is the brand of wax and tire slickem you use. A clean car lasts longer.
In the real world, people often have behavior where marginal benefit > marginal cost, without even thinking about these concepts.

It’s when they have significant resources where the benefit does not matter, relative to price. My brother does use the $15.49/qt 5W30 oil and would never use Pennzoil Platinum with rebate. And it is human. When we buy cars we often do so on emotion, myself included.

Back