Using non-fancy Motor oils.

Good day experts.

I have been using mannol for high milage suzuki swift 2013 so i recently did oil change on my corolla e180 D4-D model, And replaced the expensive 0w-30 Total quartz ineo with 50% cheaper mannol legend 0w-30.
Only differance i have noticed is the diesel consumption that decreased from 5.0 - 5.1L/100km to 4.9-5.0L/100km. In same winter condition / severe driving.
The quartz was only used about 3100 miles / 5000km.

Is there any reason for me to think mannol is any inferior protection to the engine ? I was even thinking about giving Fanfaro 6719 5w30 c3 a try next time ?

I´m starting to think the motor oil company with the best marketing is automatically regarded the best. I still remember the consumer reports test done in 1996 where all engine oils appeared similar. But it´s quite long time ago. Strange we dont see more of those test.

I've used some Mannol products without issue. They're very reasonably priced here in the UK.

Their products do carry a number of manufacturer approvals which is also very comforting when picking an oil from a lesser known brand.

I do believe the brand is far better known on the continent. Certainly nothing to be scared of.

Last edited:
I've used some Mannol products without issue. They're very reasonably priced here in the UK.

Their products do carry a number of manufacturer approvals which is also very comforting when picking an oil from a lesser known brand.

I do believe the brand is far better known on the continent. Certainly nothing to be scared of.
Some do, some don't, and some want to make it look as they do. Just be careful which ones you're purchasing.

Last edited:
These are not brands that are familiar in the North American market, but it is agreed on BITOG that if you you use "fancy" oil brands you will have more respect from your neighbors and better looking girlfriends.
buy one fancy batch - then refill the fancy bottles with ST in case she’s watching you change oil … 😷

Last edited:
I was OK with Mobile One from the dealerships until they started making too many mistakes and taking half a day to change the oil. I started using the local Lube pit and bringing my own Red Line oil. After five years, the price of the stuff got so high that I switched to Maxima RS530. I have no idea whether it’s any good or not but it makes me feel better. 🤷‍♂️

What could go wrong with Fanfaro 6719 ? It has VW 504.00/507.00 Approval.
By my understanding VW is the king of unreliable.. 4 of 5 cars i see broken on the wayside is VW, it must be good oil if they are supposed to last beyond 50.000miles.

By my understanding VW is the king of unreliable.. 4 of 5 cars i see broken on the wayside is VW, it must be good oil if they are supposed to last beyond 50.000miles.

I must be breaking the curve. Out of 9 VW/Audi vehicles in the last 11 years never once left on the road, and only 2 warranty claims (torn CV boot on a 2012 GTI almost certainly from lowering it but covered, and a Nox sensor on the Touareg at 99k). LOL

And all these broken down cars you supposedly see… you’ve determined the problem was related to the oil how?

The idea if the oil would not meet strict VW standards the engines would fail sooner ?

I dont know about warm countries, but in Iceland VW drop like flies. But people keep buying them because they are very cheap.
But i dont see them as much like 5 years ago, usually at the roadside.

now this is an interesting comment…can you please add more details?
It could be the severe driving. Lots of short trips and temperature avrg between 0-5°C (32-45f). Attending work you can cross the capital almost within 20-25 minuets in low traffic, your car never gets warmed up. For me it´s 8mins if weather is bad and i dont cycle.

Regarding VW durability, those failure rates were last published by Icelandic car associaton 2017.(swedish study)
Of course the landrover is clear winner, but VW/skoda comes right after BMW,, thats quite bad. Icelandic study would be more interesting, but effort is made to withheld this knowledge from the public in general.

Not to insult anyone, I owned both BMW and VW .. i´loved the BMW even it had loads of expensive repairs, but i´m never buying VW again.

But i started this thread to discuss cheap engine oil.

Last edited:
And all these broken down cars you supposedly see… you’ve determined the problem was related to the oil how?
I did road service for 7 years and I'd be willing to bet 99% of the broken down cars on the road equate to 1 of 3 things... out of gas, a flat tire or the battery is dead... after that comes various mechanical and electrical maladies, but they are extremely rare compared to the first 3.. even crappy oil takes a long time to show up, and the type of person who doesn't do maintenance is the same type who even if they paid top dollar for oil would still have the same problems.

Back