2018 VW Atlas 3.6L Oil Confusion and Issues

this. I also dont think they truly did the head gasket because the oil analysis said it was super clean if they did. If they did cool but.....my oil test show no coolant loss , where else would it be, i got the extended warranty with them for unlimited miles and 10 years i think sooo, they are going to find it, even if i have to pay 75 bucks each year when i go in and they cannot find a pressure loss even overnight :\ then i have to p ay since nothing to claim. half an hour of labor. lame. iirc the company that makes the 3.6 went on strike during the release of it, so thats why they changed over. not sure what changed when they did but lots of conflicting info from it . in the AM ill see if i can find anything

this is what i was doing and they said they would void my warranty for using an out of spec oil...i was like huh....if it follows the 502 / 504 isnt the other stuff in the manual saying "be sure to use a viscosity grade for your climate" so 40 is a good range for new england i figured 0w-30 to 0w-40....nope not okay to them.
My VW dealer was also moronic and intalled the incorrect oil in my 2019 Jetta. They were just using up their bulk 50200/50500 5W40 castrol professional The 1.4 tsi balked at this and didn't operate properly. I brought the correct oil in - at a high cost to me - and had them change it. They charged me for the change even though they messed up. Actually the service writer and I changed it the techs refused and were giving major attitude like it was a Hyundai or GM dealer.

It appears you Atlas VR6 specs the 502.00 and optionally the 504.00 (NOT 508/509)

Here is a list of all VAG approved oils

Just did mine yesterday.

20230711_155024.jpg

My VW dealer was also moronic and intalled the incorrect oil in my 2019 Jetta. They were just using up their bulk 50200/50500 5W40 castrol professional The 1.4 tsi balked at this and didn't operate properly. I brought the correct oil in - at a high cost to me - and had them change it. They charged me for the change even though they messed up. Actually the service writer and I changed it the techs refused and were giving major attitude like it was a Hyundai or GM dealer.

It appears you Atlas VR6 specs the 502.00 and optionally the 504.00 (NOT 508/509)

The dealership experience means a lot to me. One time they left half the screws out of the underside cladding. I didn’t notice it till I got home. Called the service advisor at VW dealership and they came to my house and got it and took it back to the dealership fixed it and gave me another oil change in the future.
My Audi dealership a hundred mile round trip away picked up and returned my A4 for a warranty issue.
Both dealerships I know well and have bought multiple vehicles from.

Why wouldn't it run correctly on the 5W40? What was it doing? Does the 1.4 call for 504 or 508?

Why wouldn't it run correctly on the 5W40? What was it doing? Does the 1.4 call for 504 or 508?
We have discussed this many times in the past back a few years ago. I am the one who is supposed to forget bc i am old!

Spec 508 00/ 509 00

Running hot, boggy response, turbo spooling slow and cat started emitting odours too (guess maybe over fueling?)

Ran sort of O.K. at "motorsports speeds and operation" :)

I ordered some Motul 508, and that juice with just a bit of 0w-40FS the thing ran great up until I returned the lease.
No Complaints.

Motul VW 508 509_07_52_40_Pro.jpg

We have discussed this many times in the past back a few years ago. I am the one who is supposed to forget bc i am old!

Spec 508 00/ 509 00

Running hot, boggy response, turbo spooling slow and cat started emitting odours too (guess maybe over fueling?)

Ran sort of O.K. at "motorsports speeds and operation" :)

I ordered some Motul 508, and that juice with just a bit of 0w-40FS the thing ran great up until I returned the lease.
No Complaints.

View attachment 166471
Ah yea, now I remember.

Back