Used Stop Leak, Now Don't Know What The Problem Is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP! I just got a 2001 Chevy Malibu, and it overheated the same day I bought it, but they won't give me back my money. I didn't pay a lot for it, and otherwise it is a solid car, and everything else works, and I don't mind putting a few hundred into it, but don't have enough to replace an engine that would cost more than what I paid for it. I took it to a mechanic today that I trust, that said it has large amounts of Stop Leak in the coolant system reservoir, that has boiled out of the overflow, and that needs to be replaced before they can tell what is actually going on with it. So I told him to go ahead and replace it, and left it there so they can finish doing the diagnostic tests on it, and now am just waiting for the bad news. They said it could either be blown head gaskets, a cracked engine, the water pump, the radiator, condenser, or a combination of things. There is nothing at all leaking underneath, and it takes about ten minutes from a cold start before it goes to the red and dings. It isn't backfiring, and there is no smoke coming from the hood when it gets hot, or smoke coming from the tailpipe. The heater doesn't work, but the ac does. When I bought the car they didn't have any gas in it, and I only drove it around the block, and because I am disabled, and going through some serious medical issues, I rushed into buying it, and wasn't thinking straight. I found out it has only had 2 owners, and the first owner had it almost the entire time, and took very good care of it, and had regular oil changes etc. And the body has no rust, and everything else works great. Then the last owner had it just a few months, and then sold it, so I am guessing he is the one that put the Stop Leak in it. Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong with it? I am praying it isn't the engine, and just the radiator, or water pump, just something that is a few hundred to fix, and just wished I knew why the last guy sold it, so I would know for sure what is wrong with it that needs fixed. The dealership still hasn't sent me any paperwork, so I have no idea who the last owner is to even try to look him up to find out. I am so depressed because I need a vehicle now with my medical problems, and don't have the time, or money to waste.

I left the car there for them to replace the coolant reservoir, as he said the diagnostic test thing wouldn't work right because of all of the gunk that had it clogged, and just doing this has already cost me $200. $45 was for the test, and the rest was for replacing the reservoir, and labor. So, tomorrow he is to redo the diagnostic test again, then call me back and tell me what the problem is. My daughter has used him several times in the past, and said he was "honest" and fixed their car cheaply, but I don't know what to think. And to be honest, I have already had cancer once, and afraid it has come back, and am being retested for one area again on Monday, then have to go through other tests to see if it has spread from other areas, and am so not able to cope with all of this. This is the main reason I rushed to buy a car now, so I could go through these tests without having to have provided transportation, because I just want to deal with all of this privately, and not have to rely on strangers. I am already disabled with a spinal problem, and am 5'7 and weigh only 125 pounds. I have lost so much weight already from not being able to shop for myself, or able to stand long enough to cook, and am sick of being taken advantage of. I just don't understand how people can be so cruel. Not to mention my last car. I was literally robbed twice by "backyard mechanics" and is why I junked it, because it wasn't worth the risk of being robbed again. And I just can't believe this is happening all over again. I have cried an ocean, and have no other family to help. My daughter's husband works very long hours (she doesn't drive) and then on his days off they have their own things to take care of, as my daughter has her own health problems, and constantly at the hospital herself. They do all they can for me, but I just need my own car, and don't know what to do, where to turn, or who to trust. :'(

Last edited:
Little confidence in your mechanic. The condenser should not be on his list since the AC works and is not part of the cooling system. Why is the reservoir not cleanable? Easy and cheap:

https://www.partsgeek.com/nbnqqyn-chevrolet-malibu-expansion-tank.html

Did he even determine if the coolant is circulating - easy with a non contact thermometer.

Could be something as a easy as a bad rad cap.

You say no leaks, but why was so much stop leak used? Residue down low would be evident.

Looks like you have a parts thrower/guesser.

Probably not a doomsday case he mentioned as possibles.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it has the 3.1L V6? That engine is seriously known for intake manifold gaskets going, which likely would explain the overheating.

I too am skeptical of the need to replace the coolant bottle in order to diagnose. Radiator, water pump, head gasket are all strong possibilities. Check with your local red cross. My dad used to drive for them, they took people to doctor appointments. Also consider Uber..

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm guessing it has the 3.1L V6? That engine is seriously known for intake manifold gaskets going, which likely would explain the overheating.

Same with mine. Betting this is the issue.

It may not amount to much(the squeeky wheel gets the grease) but I would give that dealer all the bad publicity you can give. Including the BBB, FOX 8 (etc) and the internet ratings for that dealer. I know the car was sold as is but to have those problems on the first day and the stop leak means somebody was covering up a problem and my money's on that crooked dealer. A dealer with good standing would have given you atleast credit towards another vehicle on their lot, considering you didn't have the car for 24 hours..If it overheated a week later, then that's another story.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about cars, and told him I am already broke from buying it, and desperate. His reason for having to put in a new reservoir was because it was too full of the Stop Leak, and he wasn't able to get a reading from the diagnostic tool because it was blocking the airflow, or something like that. I am going to reiterate that I want the cheapest parts possible, and don't know if $145 is what it should have cost for a new one, plus the labor to put it in. I know the heater isn't working, and have no idea what the last owner used the Stop Leak for, I wished I did, it would help make this a lot easier instead of guessing. There are also no check engine lights on, and I just don't have money to throw around at guessing games. My daughter said he fixed their car a few times before, and was very fair, and cheap, so let's see what he has to say today after he puts in the new part and does the test again. The last owner only had it for a couple of months, so I am guessing it has to be something bad or else he wouldn't have put all of that stuff in it, and then just got rid of it. And I can get rides to the doctor, but I want to go alone. I am going through a lot, and just want my privacy so I can cry, and not have strangers around that I don't want to talk to, or hold back my emotions.

And I have tried contacting the BMV Investigators that did nothing, the FTC that also did nothing because they didn't have the Buyers Guide in the window, which in itself is supposed to nullify the sale, and the AG's Office, which is all done on a voluntary basis, and they are under no laws that says they must comply. And I did contact Fox 8, I e-mailed Ed Gallek, and called twice and left messages, and he never replied back. I don't have money for a lawyer, and am too disabled with my back to even maneuver through the courthouse, just to end up losing, and ending up paying their attorney fees too. They are crooks with no remorse, and have every loophole covered. I am glad I found this site with so many mechanics, so I can get some of your ideas, to see if they match anything he is telling me. And I will ask him about everything that all of you have mentioned. I have only driven it a couple times to take it to the mechanics 3 times, and drove no more than 15-20 miles, and it has taken the whole bottle of coolant, and is all burned up and gone. If I had known it was dry, I would have at least put water in it till I got to the shop today which is just a few miles from me, I had no idea that It had been used up and gone from driving it just that couple of times to the mechanics. I also stopped every time it got to the line before the red part when it dinged, because I didn't want to make it worse, and crack the engine if it wasn't already cracked, so I would pull over and wait at least 15 minutes each time before starting again, and going a few more streets, then stop again.

If there are anymore tips you can offer I would greatly appreciate it, and please ask me questions so I can help give you answers to help diagnose it, because I am such a girl and know nothing about cars, accept where to put the gas nozzle. And finally, if you would please pray for me. Jesus knows how hard all of this has been, and how much it means. I truly appreciate your help and suggestions, thank you all so very much!

Last edited:
To op:
Contact your local news consumer reporter.
Tell them what you told us about this dealer.
Maybe they can help you.
Sounds like you have a clogged radiator and heater core at the very least.
Keep us posted.
Good luck

Sorry to hear all these bad thing happening to you and I feel my post will just add to it but it has to be looked at a just another car repair.

First of all these 3.1/3.4 engines had lower intake manifold leakage issues, I am guessing this is the reason for all the stop leak.
The plugged radiator and heater core and overflow bottle are a result of it.
When these engines are overheated and this one has probably been overheated more than once it is also very common to loose a head gasket(s).

You need a different and better mechanic, the guy you have now learned the trade OJT and IMO is useless. Start by flushing the system with the thermostat removed and replacing anything that cannot be unplugged (you may need a radiator and or heater core), replace the thermostat with one from the dealer or OEM.

Once the engine has coolant flowing you need a leak test done on the cooling system and a leak down test and boroscope inspection of the cylinder walls done on the cylinders, a sniffer test for HC will tell the mechanic if combustion gasses are getting into the cooling system.
At a minimum I think you are looking at a lower intake gasket job and possibly a radiator/heater core but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it needs head planing and head gaskets also.

This engine has an iron block and it will probably be okay although over heating can break the piston rings piston rings and damage the cylinder walls this is the reason you inspect the cylinders with a scope prior to tearing into it.

If you cant get them take it back and you are stuck with this car I would go to a pick a part yard for an engine and talk to them about someone to put it in for you, lots of guys going to the yard will do it cheap.

So did you buy from a licensed dealer or a private party?

There are laws on a federal level about something sold being "fit for purpose". Talk to a lawyer from a legal aid type operation, you may have a very short time (3 days) to nullify the sale with their guidance.

Engine work is 90% labor, you won't save much with cheap parts.

You should also check to see if the car has to pass state emissions testing as provided by the dealer. If you can get it to flunk, you may be able to return it. This is IMO the strongest case you can make, but TALK TO A LAWYER TODAY.

Best is to rig a reverse flush of entire system. Unless a block seal was used that hardens in place most stop leaks are flushable or at most a gentle application of compressed air to help it along its way. You should have some legal recourse available. Yell louder, your cause is just!

Trouble isn't with the stop leak, it is with the damage caused by whatever prompted the use of the stuff.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Didn’t you used to live in Boston?

I would have guessed New Jersey.

What a bunch of nonsense we’ve all seen countless times before.

This is why I’ll only buy a car from real branded dealership. No tote the note lots for me,ever!

I’m guessing the car you bought was “rig fixed” just good enough to get it off the lot. Sleazy as [censored]!

It turns out that the place I took it to now wants $1700 to fix it for blown head gaskets, and said it would take them 10 days. But I found another place that will do it for a grand, who also said he would have flushed the reservoir and it didn't have to be replaced, and was overcharged $100 for that! And it is a 3.1 engine too. It also was sold to me with the guy telling me it passed the emissions test, and it didn't when I called the BMV to check and see, and it is too far away to just go there and check it now, and not worth the risk of damaging the engine further. I was also told by another mechanic I should be able to get my money back if the title wasn't transferred in my name by 40 days, and they checked and it was signed over today (I bought the car on the 5th) but am not sure if this includes the time it takes to receive it in the mail. I am also going to ask the AG about what I can do to get some sort of waiver for the emissions test, because I don't know if I will have enough money to be able to have it fixed in time before the temp tag expires. I am just overwhelmed. I need a car so bad, and don't have help to go looking, and is also another reason I got stuck in this. Just a series of unfortunate events, and at the top was being taken advantage of by thieves without a conscience. They used every slick maneuver in the book, and are masters in the art of misleading, and robbing people. PS, I have never lived in Boston, and I bought the car from a licensed dealer at a used car lot.

Last edited:
You need to stop talking to mechanics (or online people) for legal advice. Get an honest to god lawyer, and do it quickly.

There is actually no way of winning anything in court, and am just discussing what happened to me as a warning to others. As I said, I have no money for a lawyer, nor am I well enough to deal with it all, which is why I went through other channels like the AG, FTC, and BBB. I am actually praying for them, and praying I will be able to fix what is wrong. Because as I said, I have a lot going on, nobody to help, and am desperate. So my main concern was to ask for advice as to what may be wrong with the vehcle, to help me decide whether I should even try to fix it, or just junk it and start over. But even though it is an 18 year old car, it is rather solid, doesn't have hardly any rust, and was well maintained. All of the lights, signals, tires, and brakes are in decent shape, and I am going to have the next mechanic take a better look at it underneath, and check the transmission, and tell me what he thinks of the frame, tie rods, etc. For what I paid, I don't expect a perfect car by any means. But if all I end up putting into it is another grand, and everything else is decent, then I will be thankful because I have seen a lot of other cars for that price that are not even in this good of shape, and now this one will also have a major new repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back