Used Stop Leak, Now Don't Know What The Problem Is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen ClevelandMalibu, I understand you are under a lot of stress and medical condition. People here including eljefino are trying to help when asking question. There is a high chance that if it is a dealer sale it can be cancelled if it is an intentional fraud.

Regarding to price, $1700 is fair on a V6 rebuild. I had a head rebuild 2 years ago on a 4 cylinder and it cost me $1500. The guy may be expensive but it is within reasonable price. I'd be worried about the guy charging $1k, is he good? does he give you a warranty? How do I know he is doing it right and not just disappearing after patching it up and gone. Many rebuild end up bad because of other problem (like mine), and honest mechanic will fix it again on their dime, which is why more expensive. I'd highly doubt someone being that cheap has the resource to eat the cost of a rework (i.e. taking it apart and send it out for machine shop again, on their dime).

Ask your local vocational school, local charity, churches, whatever you can, many people may have connection that can help you. Maybe not free, but if you can get it done by people with good heart at a cost only price, that'll be wonderful.

Remember, people are not here to judge you, but to help. We all made mistake especially when we are under stress.

Last edited:
Regarding to privacy and strangers.

The last thing an uber driver wants is to get a less than 5 stars rating. If you don't talk they don't talk, and that's your privacy right there. They are there to make ends meet so they can afford to live slightly above minimum wage as well, so they know not to provoke passengers.

But first thing first, let's get your transportation need taken care of before talking about privacy or all the nicer things we can do afterward.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Regarding to price, $1700 is fair on a V6 rebuild. I had a head rebuild 2 years ago on a 4 cylinder and it cost me $1500. The guy may be expensive but it is within reasonable price. I'd be worried about the guy charging $1k, is he good? does he give you a warranty? How do I know he is doing it right and not just disappearing after patching it up and gone. Many rebuild end up bad because of other problem (like mine), and honest mechanic will fix it again on their dime, which is why more expensive. I'd highly doubt someone being that cheap has the resource to eat the cost of a rework (i.e. taking it apart and send it out for machine shop again, on their dime).

This is important enough to repeat. There's enough drama with rebuilding engines that have already suffered that you can get more by doing it half-fast at a cheap guy. You can have antifreeze in your lower end bearings that will wipe them after a few dozen to a few thousand miles. You can have out-of-tolerance measurements, especially for flatness, that have gone un-measured. Sensors and the catalytic converter could be poisoned. To do this right costs $$$.

If and when you do get on your feet and want another beater car, check all the fluids. Brand new says the car consumes them and they were topped off, a red flag. But clear is good. Go for a 20+ minute test drive, this will also check the various computers for codes that pop up. If the car is out of gas buy it a gallon. If the dealer is nervous about long distances invite him along and hit the highway... make him sweat.
lol.gif

For the broke consumer I'd recommend saturn SL1s from 1995-2002 and Toyota Corollas from 1998-2002. Both are boring as dirt, and cheap as dirt. They have 4 cyl engines which means only one head/intake gasket instead of two like your car. They burn oil but you can have a full-serve gas station check that and if you don't drive much it won't be too big a hassle. If you go to church there will be SOMEONE there who'll go car shopping with you if you're direct in asking and do stuff like looking underneath that you're in no shape for. And they'll be a second brain that can evaluate the situation with less emotion.

None of us online have met your or seen your car or dealer so we have a very dry read of the situation with gives us a different clarity. Good luck!

Glad to hear your tests came back negative.The local CBS affiliate, WBZ, has an investigative team that publicizes such things. a 30 second spot on the 5 o'clock news will spur some action. Or a local paper. Basically by publicly shaming the agency into action. Please post the follow up.

Don't get dragged down in details of he-said, she-said. 10 minute, 30 minute, son was qualified, not, etc. This is a ruse to lure you into ruining your own case.

Car was junk. They covered it up on purpose with intent to defraud. The end.

AG doesn't need more than 4 pictures. If your communication with them keeps the line break formatting of your forum posts they'll get lost as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back