A/C stop leak and "synthetic" refrigerant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee and the air conditioning system has a slight leak. It's not that big of deal, I only have to refill it about every 6 months with a $5 can of R134A.

With that said, I'm wondering about the available stop leak products sold for air conditioning systems. Do they work? Or is it possible that they only work for a short period of time and then make the problem worse? I know the stop leak products for oil systems usually swell the seals, which works temporarily, but in the long run can damage the seal even more and cause a bigger leak. And stop leak products for coolant systems often clog up the radiator and heater core. These products often aren't a great solution long term.

Does the same hold true for A/C systems? Should I try a can of the stop leak refrigerant? Right now the leak is so slow that I don't really want to bother trying to track down the leak and fix it. I think it is to be expected in a 20 year old vehicle, but it would be nice if I could stop it.

Also, I notice there are a few different products that claim to be "synthetic" R134A, and they say they provide better/more efficient cooling with quicker onset. Do these products actually work? Is it worth the extra cost? Being in hot and HUMID North Carolina good air conditioning is a definite requirement this time of year...

Don't use the stop leak stuff, just top it off with refrigerant.

Some mechanics won't use their machines to recharge your a/c if you've used stop leak, it can ruin their machines. My mechanic won't.

If you put stop leak in your system don't bring it to me! It will plug up my ac charging station,cost $1000 to get it repaired last time. I will test it for stop leak. If I find it I will send you packing as will any other decient shop.

It also plugs up everything in your system,rendering it junk.

I have no intention of ever bringing it to a mechanic to work on the A/C, but if it's that bad it sounds like I definitely shouldn't use it...

Anybody know if any of the so called synthetic refrigerants provide any better cooling?

I'll be the dimwit that goes against good advice. A can's worth of r134 is pretty bad for the environment; how's the vacuum? How long are you planning to keep the car? Are you willing to never have AC again?

My WJ was without AC for 3 years - recharged it with plain 134 via manifold gauge and after a few months the refrigerant would be gone again. Got tired of the subsequent environmental damage. The system won't ever be professionally repaired and it won't ever be user-replaced because of cost/vehicle-worth. I knew the popular AC recharge kits all have leakstop and it'll contaminate the entire AC system. But since I was willing to not use the AC ever again, I gave it one last try and bought one of those kits. I think it was AC Pro. Well, 3 years later, while I'm sure the system's all gunked up, the AC still works without a recharge. I'm not saying to do what I did but it worked for me. Then again, I was willing to deal with not having AC ever again if it didn't work.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
I have no intention of ever bringing it to a mechanic to work on the A/C, but if it's that bad it sounds like I definitely shouldn't use it...

Anybody know if any of the so called synthetic refrigerants provide any better cooling?
Never say never. The compressor could go out and you could have a mechanic work on it.

I'm keeping my XJ forever, so if I put stop leak in it now, it could affect me 20+ years down the road.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Never say never. The compressor could go out and you could have a mechanic work on it.

I don't use mechanics, period. I've had way too many horror stories to mention. If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. The A/C compressor is relatively easy to get to, much easier than replacing an alternator which I've done on multiple XJs. I too do not plan on ever selling this vehicle, it's already at "extra vehicle" status, and given the amount of maintenance/repairs/upgrades I've done over the years it could never be worth selling to me.

Originally Posted By: ruhroh
I'll be the dimwit that goes against good advice. A can's worth of r134 is pretty bad for the environment; how's the vacuum? How long are you planning to keep the car? Are you willing to never have AC again?

Sorry, but this is not a concern I have. The EPA mandated R134A over the older stuff because it is better for the environment and they know most likely most vehicles will dump their charge at some point in their lifetime. I believe it's even used as a propellant in some aerosol products.

I'm considering switching over to a propane charge, or R290 as it's also known. You could argue it's better for the environment, but it's also cheaper and cools better.

Bottom line is I will never go without A/C. North Carolina heat and humidity is BRUTAL.

134 is much better environmentally than what it replaced, but it's still environmentally bad. If I lived near the southern border, I would've seriously considered taken the car to be fitted with propane as refrigerant.

If I lived near the southern border, I would've seriously considered taken the car to be fitted with propane as refrigerant.

Technically speaking, I don't believe it is legal to use propane, so you can't have somebody install it for you. Not because it's dangerous or not environmentally friendly, but simply because the EPA gods haven't bothered to approve it. It's a very common refrigerant in other countries.

That's why I asked about the so called "synthetic" R134A replacements, but I'm not sure how well they work, or what makes them synthetic.

Nope, it's not legal for a shop to use it in a car here. Hence the southern border comment - I meant the US border. A lot of people cross the border for cheaper auto repair. There was a news article about a woman died after her car caught fire post-collision and she had her car's AC repaired across the border. They used propane since it's... well, what they and a lot of other places use. Risk of fire is low for propane as refrigerant, but unfortunately probably not as low as r134.

Also, I think 'synthetic' R134 must be referring to the lubricant/oil portion since all 134 are synthetic and the same. Kind of like charging more for 'synthetic' DOT3 or 4.

Also, I think 'synthetic' R134 must be referring to the lubricant/oil portion since all 134 are synthetic and the same. Kind of like charging more for 'synthetic' DOT3 or 4.

I was just going by what the cans at Walmart say. I'm sure it's mostly marketing nonsense. They claim it provides superior cooling with a quicker startup time, but not sure how well that really works. Curious if anybody has actually tried it.

I really don't think fire is much of a concern with using propane as a refrigerant, considering I drive around with 20 gallons of gasoline which is pumped at high pressure into the hot engine bay...

R134a ( automotive ) & R410a ( residential ) Use synthetic oil . The purpose of which is not to pursue better cooling , but better function .

These 2 refrigerants mix with the synthetic oil . R12 & R22 mix with mineral oil . R134a & R410a do not play well with mineral oil .

I personally beleave the " refrigerant laws " have more to do with helping DuPont's profit , than " saving the planet " .

I was just going by what the cans at Walmart say. I'm sure it's mostly marketing nonsense. They claim it provides superior cooling with a quicker startup time, but not sure how well that really works. Curious if anybody has actually tried it.

I really don't think fire is much of a concern with using propane as a refrigerant, considering I drive around with 20 gallons of gasoline which is pumped at high pressure into the hot engine bay...

But you'll have propane leaking somewhere, possibly near the ignition system if you don't get the leak fixed or if it leaks again. Personally, I wouldn't do it. My local shop diagnoses and fixed my a/c for 150 bucks. It was a leaky o-ring.

Last edited:
I'm not asking anything about oil and I don't need the chicken littles to tell me the sky is falling about propane. I merely suggested I might try propane, and I am more specifically asking about the R134A replacement refrigerants sold in many places that claim to produce faster and better/more efficient cooling. Has anybody tried these products, and do they work as advertised?

Again, this question has nothing to do with oil. Don't get stuck on the word "synthetic", it's not referring to the oil and is mostly just marketing hype.

Example of "synthetic" refrigerant:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XQ7HRA/ref...687464&sr=1
It claims to lower duct temperatures by up to 15 degrees and reduce friction.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
But you'll have propane leaking somewhere, possibly near the ignition system if you don't get the leak fixed or if it leaks again. Personally, I wouldn't do it. My local shop diagnoses and fixed my a/c for 150 bucks. It was a leaky o-ring.

With a leak so small as to leak maybe a pound of refrigerant over six months, there is absolutely no possibility of ignition. You cannot light propane in that small of quantity. I happen to have a lot of experience regarding the flammability limits of various gasses.

As for taking it to a shop, I already made it clear I don't do that, and $150 would buy 30 cans of R134A. That's a 15 year supply, if not longer.

If additives worked, why wouldn't manufacturers put it in new cars from the beginning? Faster colder air is something that people would notice on a test drive.

Have you made any effort to find the leak?

Last edited:
"As for taking it to a shop, I already made it clear I don't do that, and $150 would buy 30 cans of R134A. That's a 15 year supply, if not longer."

What about adding PAG lubricant to the system- with all those cans of R134 being added and leaking out?

I found an AC stop leak that uses PAG oil to swell seals and a little dye to find a leak. This won't clog the system since its the same stuff that's already in there.

Your wasting your time on a
1998 auto...a complete change out is your best option,,maybe 1200 bucks if done correctly...I graduated from an HVAC school many years ago..If you do not understand the refrigerant cycle of freon, get an estimate for a total change out,,,imho...yes it is expensive, but if u want it fixed right, call a technician..

all r134a ac systems use a synthetic oil. Putting that on the can go is just a way to fool the public into thinking they bought something better. Plus...some take pag46 or pag100 or pag 125,150 or ester oil. Who knows what's in that can? Is it 46 and your car calls for 150?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back