used filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive read stories and heard of the filters inside not being glued properly amongst other issues

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
bluestream i was making up numbers for simple math. ok so car maker A says change it each time, while car make B says ah every other times fine, wouldnt commonsence tell us if your taking time/money to change oil lets go ahead and change filter?

I have no idea.. In all likelihood it doesn't matter much either way. If Honda says change filter every other OC, then I don't think it matters much.

There are 500,000,000 filters used every year in the US alone. If everyone used a filter twice, then 250,000,000 would not go to landfill in one year alone

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
bluestream i was making up numbers for simple math. ok so car maker A says change it each time, while car make B says ah every other times fine, wouldnt commonsence tell us if your taking time/money to change oil lets go ahead and change filter?

I have no idea.. In all likelihood it doesn't matter much either way. If Honda says change filter every other OC, then I don't think it matters much.

There are 500,000,000 filters used every year in the US alone. If everyone used a filter twice, then 250,000,000 would not go to landfill in one year alone

Gee, go get a brita water filter, thatd be more of an impact

Originally Posted By: kool_zx3
I am not worried, I seen under valve covers of GM cars following oil life monitors taking them over 7000-8500 miles that have over 120,000 miles and more using regular dino oil and cheap filters and the heads look like new. No varnish, sludge.... Nothing. I ain't worried about my engine by going over 5000 miles on an oil and filter change.... It will probably last just aslong as your engines changing the oil and filter at your low OCI's...

Today's oil and filters have come along way, changing them at 3500 miles or the 5000 kilometers they use to suggest is a waste of time but do what you want....

soaps came along way too with body wash etc, but i still use it every shower

I give up.... He can't grasp the fact this is not 1975 anymore, Oil now is super clean and can last many more miles then oils of before. If ford recommends 7500mile changes, I would follow it. Even GM dealers even say come back when the oil life monitor says so, they seem to have faith in the system and cannot fault your warranty by following it. There has been research done by these manufactures to support these changes, if it wasn't a good idea, why would they recommend it? They are only hurting themselves.

Like you can go out and waste your money on 4000 mile oil changes, but I ain't.... Just because you think it's good insurance doesn't mean your word is the gospel. You wanna change it go ahead, but your engine will not last any longer then mine will due to me having excessive wear due to longer OC's then you.

I make good money, but it doesn't mean It should waste it on oil changes that don't need to be done. If i can save 60 bucks a year by changing the oil the way I do it according to a computer algorithm written by GM engineers that GM uses to determine oil life in all their cars I will glady keep it then giving it to the store due to paranoia of engine wear due to Oil used passed 4000 miles.

Last edited:
You can do whatever you want, but you don't need to create multiple threads to try and prove a point. You have no proof as due I how long an oil filter can last, but if multiple people do it in their cars and if manufactures recommend it, why not do it? There must be some R&D done to prove it....

You seemed to have gotten a little overworked on people simply implying it probably would not hurt to resuse a filter on a small engine in a lawn tractor, relax some.... Let people do what works for them and stop trying to make people look stupid for not changing the filter everytime...

koolzx3, give me one piece of hard evidence that its a good idea to reuse a filter, evidence, not your gm manual nor what your grandpa did

also mr.boost, the reuse of filters would have been something done religously in the "60's and '70's sunshine

Give me some hard evidence to show that it's a bad thing to do? That's right you have none....

I am pretty sure though the engineers at GM, Ford, BMW etc... know a little bit more about engine oil, and filters then you and I do, and if they recommend it, it must be fine to do with their engines. They are the ones covering the warranty on the engine, and i doubt that they will put something in the manual that could destroy your engine and them end up having to cover it.

see the issue i have is, a few ppl say its okay to reuse, but not a single person has any evidence what-so-ever that it is indeed okay, just a theory. youre right, i have no evidence to prove other wise, only millions of ppl changing them each and every time they change their oil, and yes..oh yes dealerships included. im not trying to come down on you in any way, i could careless if you dont, its your car and your $5 savings not mine. and at some point commonsence, not that manual has to be your guide. i did the other posts in hopes that someone, anyone out there has more than a theory, still waiting.........

Well i have always done it in my car along with everyone else i know, but like i asked before i am talking about a single cylinder briggs and stratton and see that some do not change it when using an extended size filter or a better made wix etc... To me i don't see the filter being totally used up after 50 hours, and from manuals i been reading some even say to push a filter passed 50 hours and do it every second change... so all i asked before if it would be ok, since here in canada there is no cheap briggs filters anywhere.... It's not just about money... It's using something to it's potential.

youve been given part numbers to cross, considering no one can see in a filter and if they can its unusable at that point, youre much more of a gambler than i my friend

Some of the Audi filters were kind of expensive, so when I worked on people's car who were not actually paying me, I'd reuse the filters w/o batting an eye, just drain and re-install. oem Audi filters say 30,000km/2 years on the side and re-use is commonplace in Europe.

Later, Honda recommended it, but it took a while to do so on my brand new cars. Last time around, I had a Fram TG with about 4k on it, so I re-used it even though I have a big box of new filters here.

The Astra came new with old oil in it, so it got changed at about 2k miles...do you think I NEEDED to replace the filter? I drained the oil TWICE, rinsing the outside of cartridge in the old oil stream!!!
The cartridge filters for it are $9, so I plan on using them twice per change. Yes, it got a fresh filter with the GC. I will alternate GC and M1 0w-30 SL, so I'll store the old filter in a zip lock for 6 months for reuse later with the same type oil. Don't like it? Too bad. oem service in Europe is 18k miles on those filters, 6 months is about 5k for us.

Nobody has said what harm reusing filters will cause. Not *might* cause, but *will* cause.

10k on a filter is 10k, doesn't matter if it's 5k and 5k or a 10k strait run.

"the astra came new with old oil in it" what?

Built in 07, bought 9/09.

1st OC was 12/09, 2nd was 2/10, 3rd was last week. Going for 6 months henceforth.

Honda designs, manufactures and test their own engines. They have enough data to recommend filter change at second oil change for most engines, the exception is S2000 that I know of that they recommend changing oil filter at every oil change.

no offense, but im suprised youd see that as old oil if the car wasnt really driven

no offense, but im suprised youd see that as old oil if the car wasnt really driven

Condensation.

I'm not too anal, but it had thick oem oil in it going into winter, and I have a ton of dino 5w-30 here. I think I used some Havoline Semi-Syn SL and then PepBoys. I care more about seasonal visc changes than I do brands or synth/dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back