doing oil change without filter change but sending for UOA to check on filter?

hey all, on my last oil change I got the fram endurance filter and seems like they should def be good for around 20,000 mile oil changes but people change them anyways i heard. I want to just do a oil drain and fill this weekend and would be willing to send the old oil for a UOA. Once I get the UOA, I assume that would ensure to me if the oil filter is still filtering properly correct? cuz if I had a bad filter or a filter that was going bad then the UOA would tell me that and then I could just do a proper oil change

I know people are gonna say why take the risk bla bla but I got oil sitting around and its just easier to not change the filter for me

thanks

the UOA will tell you insolubles so yes you will know if the filter is working correctly. the Endurance line has shown to be a robust filter and there is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving it on for two OCI’s.

You'd have to get a particle count done to have any idea of how well the filter has been performing, but even if the particle count looks good, that's no guarantee the filter would be good for another 5-10k miles. Also, a particle count could look good if the engine was operated at low rpm with warm oil for a while before the sample was taken, but that doesn't mean the filter isn't bypassing every time the oil is cold or rpm is high.

A filter can clog in 5k miles on a dirty engine, or 50k miles on a clean engine. The mileage rating on the box is arbitrary. There's no really easy and practical test to determine how clogged a filter is. By cutting the filter open, drying it out, and looking at the media, you can get some idea of how clogged the filter might be.

hey all, on my last oil change I got the fram endurance filter and seems like they should def be good for around 20,000 mile oil changes but people change them anyways i heard. I want to just do a oil drain and fill this weekend and would be willing to send the old oil for a UOA. Once I get the UOA, I assume that would ensure to me if the oil filter is still filtering properly correct? cuz if I had a bad filter or a filter that was going bad then the UOA would tell me that and then I could just do a proper oil change

I know people are gonna say why take the risk bla bla but I got oil sitting around and its just easier to not change the filter for me

thanks
Save the uoa money and change filter every 10,000.

gaywow.gif

thanks

What you need for a the ISO oil cleanliness test… 3 code test. For you Used Oil Analysis to asses an oil filters ability to keep the motor oil clean. Now if a motor oil filter has a tear in it then a Used Oil Analysis with the ISO oil cleanliness testing performed I think would show a bad result in that test result.

That ISO cleanliness test is at 14 microns, 6 microns and 4 microns.,

Say it comes back 16-14-11… Versus say a bad result of 25- 21-16.

The 16-14-11 would be a pretty good result of how well that oil filter is working on capturing particles at those sizes., The 25-21-16 would be a rather bad cleanliness test result.

If I’m remembering correctly anything less than 17 at 14 microns is pretty good. The lower those numbers the better that oil filter is performing.

Hydraulic oil ISO test results are way lower and they must be in order for what those oils are in to work right and not have any trouble

Motor oil is way “ dirtier” than hydraulic oil are supposed to be.

The first UOA will tell you a few things about the engine and the oil, but the real benefit is that UOAs can establish a trend or pattern with one specific engine. This will help you see unusual changes, such as one of the components suddenly starts wearing more, or the fuel dilution increases without cause, etc. Of course establishing a pattern requires multiple UOAs done after equal or similar operating conditions. So if you're intending to do a one-time UOA, I think the money is better spent simply keeping up with regular maintenance and using that super premium Fram endurance filter. My $0.02

Back