Used F150 2.7 vs 3.7

3.7 is plenty sufficient as I've driven one and pretty reliable and is less sensitive to poorer maintenance. The turbos can last a good amount of time but they need better maintenance on average and it being used you take a bit more chance.

Better maintenance? You mean like using good oil at reasonable OCI's?

Man, if only there were a forum full of people who obsess over oil all day long. . . . . the 2.7 would be perfect for them.

Better maintenance? You mean like using good oil at reasonable OCI's?

Man, if only there were a forum full of people who obsess over oil all day long. . . . . the 2.7 would be perfect for them.
Basically. Turbos can last but they need better oil and sooner intervals. An na engine isn't as sensitive.

For a farm truck I’d go simple chevy ford or dodge whichever you get at the right price best condition and lowest mileage. Naturally aspirated V6 will serve you fine.

Given the fact that I've driven all variations of F150's, I have to say the 2.7 offers the best overall performance. That being said, I'd never own one.

The Ecoboost engines in any F series trucks are a BEAR to service. Especially the 3.5. The intake ducting, the intercoolers, the coolant hose routing. It's a mess. The last 3.5 I worked on required cab removal TWICE to service the wastegates and timing chains. Sure, the factory "procedure" doesn't call for this, but anyone in the field would agree that cab removal is the only way to work on these things.

On the other hand... the 3.7 or 5.0 are a dream. Not exactly a cake walk, but compared to the boosted engines they're a dream.

Back