Used F150 2.7 vs 3.7

I am going to be in the market for a used truck and i have questions.

Why do i need a truck?- I live on a small farm, in the country. I tow sometimes. I haul stuff sometimes. Country roads are beating my cars to death. I need 4wd in the winter. My 2003 Suburban with a trailer has done me well... but shes tired. I am nickle and diming stuff alot, she has 285K miles and if i need to haul something or drive it daily... i almost know something is gonna happen. I am scared of a long trip in her.

F150 2.7: Pros- Fun to drive, better MPG, more power, more torque. Cons: more expensive, lifespan of turbos. Aluminum body- not sure if a pro or a con.

F150 3.7: Pros- Industrial Engine- moved into the Transit, and good enough to be thrashed in Mustangs and Police Vehicles etc. Cheaper to buy.
Cons- less MPG. Have to rev it high to get power.

On paper the 2.7 doesnt make sense. The gas mileage that you save will be offset by a more expensive vehicle and likely turbo replacement over the lifetime. The fun factor possibly makes it an even race.

From my research the 5.0 seems to have a love/hate and has alot of issues... i dont need a V8 anyways.

I live in the country, my county roads put a tax on a vehicles suspension.. supposedly the steel body trucks have better suspension and springs. The reports that i read state it was night and day difference in ride quality when poor roads were concerned. Unknown if this is true.

Chevrolet- i dont like the whole idea of AFM.
Toyota- Tundras are nice but the whole upfront cost and on top of that poor MPG.
RAM- On paper they seem to be good. Im guessing the 3.7 with the good transmission would be the way to go for me.

This is an apples to oranges comparison i know. Steel vs Aluminum, Turbo vs NA.

Which truck would you go with?

Aluminum body F-150. 2.7EB. The frame is steel.

We’ve used them as work trucks for quite a few years. They spend most of their life idling and on dirt “roads” in the mountains.

2.7 no brainer. you have as much of a chance of the transmission going out as you do the turbos going out. turbo failure is extremely rare. the 2.7 will tow better and get better mpg. you will just have a more capable and enjoyable vehicle. as mentioned earlier, this highly dependent on condition of vehicle.

...next time on the HWY and see an aluminum bed truck look at it closely. They shudder and flap a bit from the wind so if you think you'll be hauling rough heavy stuff in the bed it wouldnt be my first pick.

Aluminum body F-150. 2.7EB. The frame is steel.

We’ve used them as work trucks for quite a few years. They spend most of their life idling and on dirt “roads” in the mountains.

This! I have been very happy with my 15 5.0 but if buying new today I'd be hard pressed to not go with the 2.7. Turbo issues are reportedly very low. Issues apparently arise if you don't get the waste gate open by kicking in the turbos every now and then.

The 2.7, hands down. Our work fleet is full of the non-turbo V6 F150's and as a daily driver they are way less enjoyable. Do they get the job done? Yes.

Full disclosure: I own a 2016 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 2.7, and of the four F150's I've owned and through multiple work trucks, it is my favorite truck.

And the Aluminum body has been holding up well in our fleet use...

3.7 is plenty sufficient as I've driven one and pretty reliable and is less sensitive to poorer maintenance. The turbos can last a good amount of time but they need better maintenance on average and it being used you take a bit more chance.

Keep it simple. Anything that doesn't have a turbo, GDI or AFM. The old push rod 5.0 was a great engine. The new one is overly complicated. If it was my choice I would bite the bullet and go for the Tacoma. It will probably out last all the others put together.

Keep it simple. Anything that doesn't have a turbo, GDI or AFM. The old push rod 5.0 was a great engine. The new one is overly complicated. If it was my choice I would bite the bullet and go for the Tacoma. It will probably out last all the others put together.
the tacoma now has dual injection.
Those can have valve guide issues.

So im gathering that the 3.7 is a good work truck..( i think the DNR, Police and utilities all choose them it seems like). Good Fleet workhorse.

The 2.7 is a work truck that is more fun to drive..

I read a few places where the 13th Gen A/C was alot better than the 12th Gen.. not sure if thats true.

Is the trans serviceable? I dont want one of those lifetime sealed trans.

Do the F150s come with towing packages with bigger oil coolers and trans coolers?

It seems like there are so many variations of each truck then they change everythign a few years later... its like hunting easter eggs to get the right rear gear set and towing packages with the right motor etc.

Also i read a bit on Frozen door locks...with no fix to be heard of...not a deal breaker but good to know.

So im gathering that the 3.7 is a good work truck..( i think the DNR, Police and utilities all choose them it seems like). Good Fleet workhorse.

The 2.7 is a work truck that is more fun to drive..

I read a few places where the 13th Gen A/C was alot better than the 12th Gen.. not sure if thats true.

Is the trans serviceable? I dont want one of those lifetime sealed trans.

Do the F150s come with towing packages with bigger oil coolers and trans coolers?

It seems like there are so many variations of each truck then they change everythign a few years later... its like hunting easter eggs to get the right rear gear set and towing packages with the right motor etc.

Also i read a bit on Frozen door locks...with no fix to be heard of...not a deal breaker but good to know.

A few comments... My fleet buys the base V6 in most of its basic work trucks. Why? Because it is literally the cheapest option that gets the job done. Need more towing capacity, etc..., then those trucks get upgraded to either a V8 or a Superduty. Our basic spec is a XL trim 2WD Supercab with a tow package and trailer brake controller installed, and usually an e-locker, with a factory invertor for charging "stuff". We upfit them with a back rack, idiot lights, and a tool box. We buy what gets the job done and not much more...

That means we used to get the 3.7 in 12th Gen Trucks. In the 13th Gen, they switched to the 3.5 in 2015 and then the 3.3 in 2017 which is dual injection.

Drive the 2.7 back to back with any NA V6 in the F150's and you'll find a definite favorite quickly - I'd dread towing near the tow capacity of my work trucks, and have done so with my 2.7 just fine.

No idea on the A/C - its worked fine in every generation. The 13th gen gets you electric fans so performance at idle, not moving seems much better IMHO.

The 6R80 six speed is solid and serviceable (though the "dipstick" is accessed under the truck next to exhaust pipes...). The NA V6's still got the 6 speed auto, anything else started to get the 10 speed in 2017-18.

Tow package equipment will vary by the year and engine. There is no specific thing that applies across all the years you are asking about.

In other words, either define exactly what it is you need (year, engine, drivetrain, body style, bed length, and tow and payload capacities) or don't be mad when you buy something that doesn't meet your needs.

And others are correct - good luck on finding something reasonable. Tough market to shop in...

Back