Used F150 2.7 vs 3.7

If you want bare bones simple, the 3.7 is a solid motor. Revving to get power out of it, however, is counter to truck use. Otoh, the 2.7 is more complex. I like my 2.7 and it was the right buy for us, and it does admirable work with a trailer behind it, and as for daily commuting. Mine does have the typical coolant leaks at the turbo feed lines from a poor o-ring choice. So, I know there will be nit’n noid issues with it as it ages, but i *enjoy* driving this, and that means a lot. It has power to tow, to pass and merge, and I don’t feel like I’m having to shovel the yard deep with the throttle when it’s 95 out, the air is thin, and 500 lbs are dragging it down during stop and go traffic. The driveability of the 2.7 is superb.

note, to get the good driving dynamics, I have to run high octane. The 10spd can rubber band with the turbos and timing pull when running 87 in my experience. I don’t see much mpg increase in doing so. That does make this one a little pricier to run. I’m averaging around 20.7 mixed city/hwy. keeping it in perspective, my Lexus v6 sedan gets the same.

m

Go to a Ford dealer and test drive them. Years ago I had an F150 with the 300 six cyl it was not a power house but had enough power to take me where I wanted to go. I have a 4 cyl Tacoma 4X4 that has enough power and I have a 2015 with the 2.7 I enjoy that engine.

I like F150s, but given what you describe your wants/needs as, I'd go for a Ram 1500 classic with pentastar, quad cab, 4x4. Get one with 3.55 gears for greater towing capacity over the standard 3.21s.

Alot of great info from all. Thank you MNgopher for your real world fleet insights.

I like to narrow my search as far as i can on paper before i look around..

2016-2017 2.7 SCrew or Sport look to be good starting points.

Other than all the useful info.. the only other things i have come across is that they have plastic oil pans which can leak if not fixed under warranty, spark plug changes at 40-60K miles... and possible carbon buildup due to DI that may or may not cause issues.

I am not up on my truck or vehicle news...why is it such a bad time to buy? Low inventory or inflation?

This video kinda sold me so far...as i tow and want to tow more (sidebyside) and farm duties.

I've been very happy with the 2.7 in our F-150. Turbo issues seem fairly uncommon on these engines from what I've read. I'm more worried about mine being a Ford than I am about it having turbos. The 3.7 will also get the job done just fine.

The 2.7 does have a plastic pan and plastic drain plug. There were issues with sealing the pans but as of late the chatter on that has not been loud. I've had no issues with the pan or the plug on mine.

I did my spark plugs at 60k miles. When I pulled them out, I literally asked myself why I was bothering with it. The plugs were in excellent shape an not far out on the gap. I noticed no change in performance or fuel mileage after changing them. Your mileage may vary...

Carbon gets brought up regularly as a potential issue on the 2015-17 2.7s as they are DI only. Yet from looking around, that seems to be all it is - talk. Hard to find real world issues of it.

If you haven't been watching the vehicle market you are in for a shock. New inventory is depleted due to chip supply issues. The used market appreciated rapidly as a result, and trucks in particular went crazy. Used pricing is insane, and all the incentives one used to get on a new vehicle are gone, and paying sticker or sticker plus is common.

The 2.7 does have a plastic pan and plastic drain plug. There were issues with sealing the pans but as of late the chatter on that has not been loud. I've had no issues with the pan or the plug on mine.
My 2015 2.7 pan leaked and id was changed in 2018 under warranty. It is an Easy job looking under the truck. The Tech said it is easy.

I did my spark plugs at 60k miles. When I pulled them out, I literally asked myself why I was bothering with it. The plugs were in excellent shape an not far out on the gap. I noticed no change in performance or fuel mileage after changing them. Your mileage may vary...

Carbon gets brought up regularly as a potential issue on the 2015-17 2.7s as they are DI only. Yet from looking around, that seems to be all it is - talk. Hard to find real world issues of it.

If you haven't been watching the vehicle market you are in for a shock. New inventory is depleted due to chip supply issues. The used market appreciated rapidly as a result, and trucks in particular went crazy. Used pricing is insane, and all the incentives one used to get on a new vehicle are gone, and paying sticker or sticker plus is common.

Good intel..

I have been hearing on the radio car lots offering above KBB...dying to get used cars. I guess that makes sense with supply low and demand as it is.

Do not buy a 2017 or older 2.7 unless you like getting an oil pan with your oil changes. Just had my second replacement one put on, made it 5,000 miles. 40,000 on the the vehicle. Once the factory pan leaks, you're done.

If it were just a truck that goes to Home Depot or to the dump twice a month, I’d say 3.7L. But if you’re driving it a lot, get the 2.7L

3.7 is stupid easy to work on, and is very reliable. I’d pick 3.7 for simplicity

Do not buy a 2017 or older 2.7 unless you like getting an oil pan with your oil changes. Just had my second replacement one put on, made it 5,000 miles. 40,000 on the the vehicle. Once the factory pan leaks, you're done.
Out of all the ways to cut costs, why would they weaken the oil pan on a work truck and 4x4 trucks that see off road use?

Cheaper, and quieter. Plastics have an advantage with NVH. The entire top of it is plastic as well - intake and both valve covers. The bottom is also protected by a decent metal dust shield, which has more heft to it than most. While it’s not armor, it‘s not the tinfoil I’ve seen on other makes.

knock on wood, my 2018 is still leak free, there. Mine has very minor coolant seepage from o-rings on the back of the engine.

Meep rest easy, yours has a gasket built into it. It is great motor, no doubt. The PFI and direct injection on the newer motors also keeps the valves clean.

I am going to be in the market for a used truck and i have questions.

Why do i need a truck?- I live on a small farm, in the country. I tow sometimes. I haul stuff sometimes. Country roads are beating my cars to death. I need 4wd in the winter. My 2003 Suburban with a trailer has done me well... but shes tired. I am nickle and diming stuff alot, she has 285K miles and if i need to haul something or drive it daily... i almost know something is gonna happen. I am scared of a long trip in her.

F150 2.7: Pros- Fun to drive, better MPG, more power, more torque. Cons: more expensive, lifespan of turbos. Aluminum body- not sure if a pro or a con.

F150 3.7: Pros- Industrial Engine- moved into the Transit, and good enough to be thrashed in Mustangs and Police Vehicles etc. Cheaper to buy.
Cons- less MPG. Have to rev it high to get power.

On paper the 2.7 doesnt make sense. The gas mileage that you save will be offset by a more expensive vehicle and likely turbo replacement over the lifetime. The fun factor possibly makes it an even race.

From my research the 5.0 seems to have a love/hate and has alot of issues... i dont need a V8 anyways.

I live in the country, my county roads put a tax on a vehicles suspension.. supposedly the steel body trucks have better suspension and springs. The reports that i read state it was night and day difference in ride quality when poor roads were concerned. Unknown if this is true.

Chevrolet- i dont like the whole idea of AFM.
Toyota- Tundras are nice but the whole upfront cost and on top of that poor MPG.
RAM- On paper they seem to be good. Im guessing the 3.7 with the good transmission would be the way to go for me.

This is an apples to oranges comparison i know. Steel vs Aluminum, Turbo vs NA.

Which truck would you go with?
Not sure what you heard about the 5.0 but they are very robust. 11 - 17 5.0 don’t have many problems. 15-17 is the most robust to date. There were some concerns with the Gen3 coyote which is 2018-2020 in the F150s.

Out of all the choices that would be my choice.

I don't know much about either of these engines but I would go with the 3.7. I am very satisfied with my 5.0 2014 F-150. As others have stated the transmission will more than likely be more of a problem than the engine. I wouldn't buy right now because of high costs. These trucks will go down in price but it might take a while. I would buy brand new since the cost of used ones are so ungodly overpriced. With a brand new one you will get the warranty and peace of mind there is nothing wrong with it. There is always the chance you may buy a lemon if you go previously owned.

I had both in a fleet I over saw. 2.7EB and 3.5EB. The 3.5 was more reliable and didn’t crack oil pans. The 2.7 does squeak out a rich more mpg. No noticeable difference in seat of the pants feel.

Dodge Rams we’re even more reliable than the Fords outside of a couple cracked manifolds. They just rust out really badly.

Back