Basic used pickup?

Its so easy to go down a rabbit hole just looking at used trucks from the past 10 years.. so to simplify.

Basic- 1/2 Ton, Non Turbo, Easy to maintain, Low rust issues, Good MPG, tows easily, and interstate trips are comfy. No timing belt service would be great. Non DI, Non AFM or anything too complicated.

As of right now the 2011-2014 F150 with the 3.7 looks like a contender. 300HP, 300TQ.. The same engine was dropped in 2015 for the F150 and goes into the Ford Transit. Same engine used in 2013–present Ford Police Interceptor Sedan also Mazdas and Lincolns. On the F150 forums looks like 20MPG is pretty average combined. However it looks like you cannot drain and fill the transmission easily. On this model or the next gen 2015+ So i would probably want to buy a pan with a plug if i bought one.. not a dealbreaker.

2015+ F150s totally change everything, body is aluminum and the 3.5NA looks weakish. Perhaps im wrong..

So im in the market for a basic jack of all trades 1/2 ton pickup that has a mix of decent power, good mpg and bulletproof engine

FYI i live on a fairly large farm, my daily commute is alot of secondary roads with patches and dips, hills and valleys, curves and all four seasons. I tow offroad at times hauling my sidebyside.. Its brutal on my 2003 Suburban with nearly 300K miles.. i have replaced alot of suspension parts but they were tired already and she owes me nothing. I use a trailer for most all pickup duties but sometimes the bed would be nicer than always hauling a trailer.

Im open to suggestions, if a Silverado is better for me then im ok with that.. and $15K would be a nice budget.

For $15,000 condition and previous owner maintenance is everything. Anything from the big 3 will be pretty even reliability wise, your biggest factor at that price point is how it was used/abused and what was done to it. Finding a basic truck will be difficult, I would say 90% of the later model trucks 2011 and newer on the road in my area are the ultra super duper platinum editions.

If looking for a work truck for $15,000 I would find the best condition F150, Silverado, Ram, Tundra, etc that you can.

I'm biased, but given your requirements of non-turbo and reliable, I would get a Silverado with the 5.3L pre-cylinder de-activation era. I have a 2011 with a 6.2L...not sure I will be giving it up anytime soon.

If looking for a work truck for $15,000 I would find the best condition F150, Silverado, Ram, Tundra, etc that you can.

This.
It is possible to find a nice truck at that pricepoint with a lot of searching and luck.
However, one cannot be choosy in regard to make.
If you find one, you better snap it up quick.
Because, someone else will.

Ram 1500 Pentastar V6 is a fair contender it seems. 2013 and earlier had head issues and oil filter housing and cooler issues, 2014 and up seem to be resolved. However up until 2016 the cams and rockers are an issue if you get up into the high miles. So 2016+ for the price will be tough. Looks like a sealed 'lifetime' transmission. I know that needs to sound good but somehow it doesnt.

Silverado/Sierra- i could probably read about AFM issues and oil consumption for a few months.. it looks dismal. Not sure if there is hope for my basic/bulletproof engine in a GM perhaps i missed something.

Edit: as krismoriah72 pointed out below the water pump on an F150 shouldn't be an issue. Ford seems incapable of finding a permanent fix for their cam phasers.

With GM you should try to find one without active fuel management or displacement on demand. 5.3 would be fine, or even a 4.8 with the right gearing.

Dodge? I dunno. I see a lot of older Durangos and 1500/2500 gassers running around here. They're limping along with three different color body panels and missing some exhaust hangers, but at least they're limping, right?

Last edited:
A Southern '93-'96 F150 FWD with the 4.9l. '96 would be my first choice since the 4.9l engine went to OBDII and sequential fuel injection.

Something newer. Any Toyota Tacoma.

I'd stay away from Ford in general, but especially the Ford 3.5/3.7. Hope they promoted whoever thought of the chain driven water pump. More generally, Ford seems incapable of finding a permanent fix for their cam phasers.

The water pump issue is only with the transverse engines as far as i know. Does not apply in longitudinal applications. Water pump is external.

15,000.00 is a budget for a high mileage beater truck.

Good luck on your search.

In NY $15,000 will get you a rotbox with 150K miles or more. You can't touch a decent used pickup under $25K. It's gone down a lot but not where it needs to be.
With one exception ... ex- Uhaul rentals. There's a bunch of 10,000 mile trucks , 4x2 v8 for slightly above $20K. If the market doesn't cool down in a year or two, that's the route I'm going to go and keep my AC-less Subaru for a DD

At 15k, the market here will get you a 150,000 plus mile truck from the early 2010 years... On the Fords, its typically going to be a 5.0 or an Ecoboost truck. Not a whole lot of the 3.7 equipped trucks running around. If you go back to the late '00 years, you may find some lower mileage 5.4 equipped trucks (these are the infamous 3V, and as a former owner, I'd suggest skipping these).

Some more definition of the problem is also wise - do you want a regular cab? extended cab? crew cab? (The latter will drive the price up the most). What bed length is acceptable? 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?

At 15k, the market here will get you a 150,000 plus mile truck from the early 2010 years... On the Fords, its typically going to be a 5.0 or an Ecoboost truck. Not a whole lot of the 3.7 equipped trucks running around. If you go back to the late '00 years, you may find some lower mileage 5.4 equipped trucks (these are the infamous 3V, and as a former owner, I'd suggest skipping these).

Some more definition of the problem is also wise - do you want a regular cab? extended cab? crew cab? (The latter will drive the price up the most). What bed length is acceptable? 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?

Lol yes the details of the search truly is a 'problem'.. 4wd and extended cab would be ideal. 6ft bed as well.

I am in no hurry and only in the planning stages. Just putting in my due diligence. It would be easier if i had a high budget and wanted a fire breathing jacked up truck running 35s.. Basically i want a pawpaw truck..which is not the norm.

The type of truck you are looking for is what my previous employers typically had in their fleet. We kept them for 15+ years unless the frame was literally shot... Typically sold with around 125k on the odometer, but a ton of idling.

All of ours went to auction. You may have more luck looking for this type of truck at auctions, but don't be surprised at how beat up they are...

Its so easy to go down a rabbit hole just looking at used trucks from the past 10 years.. so to simplify.

Basic- 1/2 Ton, Non Turbo, Easy to maintain, Low rust issues, Good MPG, tows easily, and interstate trips are comfy. No timing belt service would be great. Non DI, Non AFM or anything too complicated.

As of right now the 2011-2014 F150 with the 3.7 looks like a contender. 300HP, 300TQ.. The same engine was dropped in 2015 for the F150 and goes into the Ford Transit. Same engine used in 2013–present Ford Police Interceptor Sedan also Mazdas and Lincolns. On the F150 forums looks like 20MPG is pretty average combined. However it looks like you cannot drain and fill the transmission easily. On this model or the next gen 2015+ So i would probably want to buy a pan with a plug if i bought one.. not a dealbreaker.

2015+ F150s totally change everything, body is aluminum and the 3.5NA looks weakish. Perhaps im wrong..

So im in the market for a basic jack of all trades 1/2 ton pickup that has a mix of decent power, good mpg and bulletproof engine

FYI i live on a fairly large farm, my daily commute is alot of secondary roads with patches and dips, hills and valleys, curves and all four seasons. I tow offroad at times hauling my sidebyside.. Its brutal on my 2003 Suburban with nearly 300K miles.. i have replaced alot of suspension parts but they were tired already and she owes me nothing. I use a trailer for most all pickup duties but sometimes the bed would be nicer than always hauling a trailer.

Im open to suggestions, if a Silverado is better for me then im ok with that.. and $15K would be a nice budget.
When you say the 3.5 looks weak are you talking reliablity? I’ve driven F150s with that engine and it’s not the eco boost but it’s not that limiting for 1/2 ton duty and the light towing you’re doing. The 3.5 turbo is amazing though I’ve lit the hell out of the rears in an expedition max and it scoots in the F150 prefer it to the 5.0.

Our 2001 Tundra only has 200K. I never check the oil. Insurance and registration are cheap.
I could drive this truck to NY right now. Pretty much never seen the inside of a garage.
IMG_20200916_100802.jpg

Nissan frontiers are the BEST value new or used, just stay away from the 05 to 10's slushboxes that had issues with trannys due to the cooler leaking into the tranny fluid. if not needing 4 wd prices are a LOT better. i paid 19G for my 2011 SV V6 + 6 spd manual that i wanted, it had just under 30 thou on it when purchased a few years ago. a great truck for less than an arm + leg as most are!!!

Nissan frontiers are the BEST value new or used, just stay away from the 05 to 10's slushboxes that had issues with trannys due to the cooler leaking into the tranny fluid. if not needing 4 wd prices are a LOT better. i paid 19G for my 2011 SV V6 + 6 spd manual that i wanted, it had just under 30 thou on it when purchased a few years ago. a great truck for less than an arm + leg as most are!!!

I have a 2017 SV crew cab with every option but leather and 4x4 out the door with 28,000 miles for less than 20 grand. I don’t think it will work for OPs needs though since they want a long bed and specified a 1/2ton. Pickup truck prices are stupid now, if things keep trending like this my next car will probably be a loaded SUV with a utility trailer and will still be cheaper than a 3 year old Tacoma.

I’d go with Ford or Toyota as a mechanic those seem to be the two least problematic vehicles. If it was me I’d get something older than 10 years old but that’s just my thoughts. I’d absolutely stay away from Nissan though I know some people that had a Titan and a Frontier and constantly were calling me to fix it. Also stay away from Chevy too very problematic from my experience except the 80s and 90s model ones were ok and anything before that.

Ram 1500 Pentastar V6 is a fair contender it seems. 2013 and earlier had head issues and oil filter housing and cooler issues, 2014 and up seem to be resolved. However up until 2016 the cams and rockers are an issue if you get up into the high miles. So 2016+ for the price will be tough. Looks like a sealed 'lifetime' transmission. I know that needs to sound good but somehow it doesnt.

Silverado/Sierra- i could probably read about AFM issues and oil consumption for a few months.. it looks dismal. Not sure if there is hope for my basic/bulletproof engine in a GM perhaps i missed something.
They drive nice, my brother in law has a 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn. They say it’s sealed but you can service it like any other ZF8 transmission.

Back