Used tow behind trailer prices still fascinating.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Looking for a couple used trailers, from enclosed to a open car hauler to a open gooseneck. I am still amazed at the prices of used trailers.

Here is a example from today. This trailer caught my interest as it is just 15 miles from me.

State Farm is the owner, and has a buy it now price of $2300, which is about $3200 out the auction house door. Being it is a state of Washington bill of sale, budget at least $500 to get a title, plus six months or more to get an appointment for the inspection to get the title. So, this trailer is $3700 before repairs, and transport.

This trailer is a current example of the prices of used trailers. They are like "gold"..... who would have guessed this just a few years ago.

37856634_1_I.jpeg
37856634_2_I.jpeg
37856634_3_I.jpeg
37856634_4_I.jpeg
37856634_5_I.jpeg
37856634_6_I.jpeg
37856634_8_I.jpeg
37856634_9_I.jpeg
37856634_10_I.jpeg

I think the high demand for trailers started many years ago when building contractors stopped using their pickups to haul everything and moved to large trailers. Also, many bikers use trailers instead of riding their bikes to large events such as in Sturgis SD. There must be a way to repair those wrecked ones or they wouldn't sell for such high prices. Even the hail damaged trailers are high priced.

I think the high demand for trailers started many years ago when building contractors stopped using their pickups to haul everything and moved to large trailers. Also, many bikers use trailers instead of riding their bikes to large events such as in Sturgis SD. There must be a way to repair those wrecked ones or they wouldn't sell for such high prices. Even the hail damaged trailers are high priced.
No issue on hail damaged trailers- I am all in on those. Many of us use trailers for transporting items, so dependability, good design, good frame, good axles, and not leaking are key desires. Cosmetics like hail damage not so much.

Yes, one can repair a wrecked trailer. But not such as easy endeavor as a lot of custom fabricating is often needed, as the trailer themselves have very little "bolt on" parts.

Could it be that the frame (hitch to taillights), floor and truck (axles) of the pictured trailer alone are worth that price?

Is there a corresponding 'shortage' in new trailers?

Also, ".....trailer themselves have very little "bolt on" parts." Are they riveted together?

Yep - plumbers have gone to them here - price a van and see why …
Plus - they can separate the trailer from a crew cab 1500 and get another worksite going …

Could it be that the frame (hitch to taillights), floor and truck (axles) of the pictured trailer alone are worth that price?

Is there a corresponding 'shortage' in new trailers?

Also, ".....trailer themselves have very little "bolt on" parts." Are they riveted together?
Good question and I thought likewise. Issues is that is a frame that has limited benefits as an open trailer due to its frame size.

There had been a shortage of new trailers, maybe the shortage continues? Of note, there is a perception that workmanship, to include the frame build/ welds has significantly gone down since 2020, and that used trailers may have better frame workmanship/ welds than a newly built trailer.

I am the current high bidder on this trailer, it is at $3150. I will likely preview the trailer tomorrow, but suspect I won't go higher than $3150. That is about $4,000 out the door. The surface rust on the trailer is surprising for a PNW trailer, this trailer may have seen some action in snowy areas.

37862251_1_I.jpeg
37862251_2_I.jpeg
37862251_3_I.jpeg
37862251_4_I.jpeg
37862251_5_I.jpeg
37862251_6_I.jpeg
37862251_7_I.jpeg
37862251_8_I.jpeg
37862251_9_I.jpeg
37862251_10_I.jpeg

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy one of those "ready to roll" flatbed trailers from places like Tractor Supply, then build off that? Floor, sides and such?
I don't think so for multiple reasons. I guestimate the trailers at TSC are built from the very cheapest Chinese parts. The fabricating of a trailer frame with axles to an enclosed trailer is a whole lot of work, and prices of parts needed bought at retail are big. The trailer manufactures buy these parts in bulk and run an assembly line, at a significant cost savings.

Not so many years ago 80 percent +/- likely had Dexter name brand axles. I suspect today most of the newly manufactured trailers have Chinese axles.

In many cases around here the cost between new and used is negligible, but I have seen prices for used small equipment trailers coming down. It also seems like more small trailer manufactures are springing up to supply the demand.

The second trailer looks decent. I think people get caught up in the bidding process. I see some stuff sell and it blows my mind.

On a side not my flat bed is 2005 and had a bunch of surface rust on it and has lived in the Pacnorwest it's whole life. I think the paint prep and paint are cheap.

Has anybody ever seen a weight distribution hitch, in use? I understand in theory, that they put some load back onto the front axle of the tow vehicle, and also put some weight onto the trailer axles, but I have never seen one on any trailer. And I've seen some pretty big trailers being towed....

Has anybody ever seen a weight distribution hitch, in use? I understand in theory, that they put some load back onto the front axle of the tow vehicle, and also put some weight onto the trailer axles, but I have never seen one on any trailer. And I've seen some pretty big trailers being towed....

I used a WDH on my 20 foot enclosed cargo trailer. They are super important, especially the smaller the tow vehicle when compared to the size of the trailer; regardless it is a best practice to always use a WDH on almost all trailers. WDH are a bit of extra work, so I think people just avoid using them, although they should.

The number one user of WDH is travel trailers. Start to look at travel trailers being towed, you will see them all the time.

Of note- one of many benefits of a gooseneck. fifth wheel trailer is not WDH applicable. I began to migrate from tow behind to gooseneck trailers for numerous reasons, one was to avoid the need for a WDH.

GON you need to check out auction trailer site Crankyape.com. They have an enclosed trailer on their site at a much lower price right now but it is in Texas.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
GON you need to check out auction trailer site Crankyape.com. They have an enclosed trailer on their site at a much lower price right now but it is in Texas.
VWM,

Thanks for the tip. I had heard of cranky ape years ago. IIRC, CA primarily sells repocessed big boy toys. A quick search on their website caught my eye- hope I don't buy but am in the market for one of these"

Back