Used Audi or Mercedes? Sub $10000 A4s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a prior 6 owner, I would say the interior is nicer than a Camry, and its fairly peppy if equipped with 2.5 Turbo engine. Total dog if no turbo. I wouldn't say that it was particularly fun to drive.
I can't speak to the really new ones, but my '07 Mazda 6 (manual transmission) is so fun to drive, I don't think I'll ever want to part with it. It could be the best car I've ever owned.
My 1999 Passat 1.8T was based on the A4. When I'd lie on my back underneath it, everything was stamped with the four rings. That car was an a character filled, blast to drive. Too bad it was the most unreliable car I've ever owned.

My advice would be to get something with a proven track record of reliability. If you buy an Audi or Mercedes in that price range and drive it for a couple years it's going to be worth a lot less. Resale is not that great on those anyway and in your price range most of them are going to be well used and probably in need of expensive repairs very soon. Spend your money on something more reliable or buy a brand new one with a warranty.

Looking for something inexpensive but a bit more fun than a Camry. I see plenty of Audi A4 B8 (2009+) with the 2.0T for sale for a decent price under 100k.

I've watched Car Wizard's videos, he says certain model years of the A4 and C-class 2010s (C300) are actually decent cars and worth buying if you were looking into a Benz or Audi.

What do you guys have to say, what to look for? Thanks
There was a class action lawsuit over excessive oil burning on certain 2012-2014 Audi A4. It was caused by an engineering failure with regards to piston and piston rings.

I had a second gen Audi A3 manual 6 speed with ~230k miles on it. Still drove like it had 30k miles on it. With a tune, that car was a blast, and still easily averaged mid 30's on highway trips.
Looked just like this...
1718196204141.jpg

We have a neighbor that bought a nice looking used S4, drove it a bit, then it moved to the back corner of his yard for a month, and then he had the transmission dropped out of it on the the driveway for a couple months... Drove it for a week last year, went back in the corner again, had it back on the driveway this spring, and now its back in the back corner of his yard.... Now he has a Hyundai Accent that is his DD.
I've never bought a german car, but I think ideally, you buy it from the 1st, maybe 2nd adult owner directly with the full maintenance records. If its needed "nothing" then you might be the one buying "everything"....
I guess as well, if you can't afford to lease a new one, probably you shouldn't get a used one, unless you can do most repairs yourself.

Try a Camry SE, or even a sporty version Mazda3, they have mtx's available and are fun to zip around a few corners.

My advice would be to get something with a proven track record of reliability. If you buy an Audi or Mercedes in that price range and drive it for a couple years it's going to be worth a lot less. Resale is not that great on those anyway and in your price range most of them are going to be well used and probably in need of expensive repairs very soon. Spend your money on something more reliable or buy a brand new one with a warranty.
If he wants fun and gets stick shift: a. they are expensive for that age, b. they won't lose any value, actually, in the case of BMW< they will probably gain.
I am not sure anyone buying 14yrs old car is worried about resale value when it is, idk, 22?

We have a neighbor that bought a nice looking used S4, drove it a bit, then it moved to the back corner of his yard for a month, and then he had the transmission dropped out of it on the the driveway for a couple months... Drove it for a week last year, went back in the corner again, had it back on the driveway this spring, and now its back in the back corner of his yard.... Now he has a Hyundai Accent that is his DD.
I've never bought a german car, but I think ideally, you buy it from the 1st, maybe 2nd adult owner directly with the full maintenance records. If its needed "nothing" then you might be the one buying "everything"....
I guess as well, if you can't afford to lease a new one, probably you shouldn't get a used one, unless you can do most repairs yourself.

Try a Camry SE, or even a sporty version Mazda3, they have mtx's available and are fun to zip around a few corners.
Any car that is neglected is a dumpster fire, it does not matter a brand.
I have seen S4 with 200k+ on track, where your average, ANY Camry would disintegrate after a few laps.
Putting Camry into the same post with S4 is screaming a lack of awareness.

Having owned both Audi and MB, my vote goes to the w204 MB cars, preferably the latter years of 2012-2014.

The bugs got worked out for the most part, the engine is well sorted and if you find the one that's been maintained well, it should serve you reliably and comfortably for quite some time.

Any car that is neglected is a dumpster fire, it does not matter a brand.
I have seen S4 with 200k+ on track, where your average, ANY Camry would disintegrate after a few laps.
Putting Camry into the same post with S4 is screaming a lack of awareness.
Most toyota's just seem to run with oil changes for 10+ years, with not too many weak plastic parts aging out, or leaking gaskets buried down somewhere difficult to reach.
Just my experience with people buying older german cars, no one I know has ever lucked into a low issues used one in the the $10k and down price range, a couple owned from new have been good, but they have been maintaining them and that costs some decent money too.

This particular S4 is "disintegrating" just trying to do 100km/h on public roads reliably, never mind going to the track....
For what the OP was asking for, a Camry SE with a few minor tweaks however the OP wants, is going to be more entertaining on the street than a regular Camry, and still be a very cheap to run/reliable DD. For car that's going to be tracked regularly, there are way better options of course.

I like the 328i too because its simpler and rwd, but I'm just not a fan of the Audi's, kind of heavy, always at or near fwd weight distribution with lots of complexity, so IMO if you don't need AWD or FWD for snow, there are better options for a competent sporty car IMO.

Most toyota's just seem to run with oil changes for 10+ years, with not too many weak plastic parts aging out, or leaking gaskets buried down somewhere difficult to reach.
Just my experience with people buying older german cars, no one I know has ever lucked into a low issues used one in the the $10k and down price range, a couple owned from new have been good, but they have been maintaining them and that costs some decent money too.

This particular S4 is "disintegrating" just trying to do 100km/h on public roads reliably, never mind going to the track....
For what the OP was asking for, a Camry SE with a few minor tweaks however the OP wants, is going to be more entertaining on the street than a regular Camry, and still be a very cheap to run/reliable DD. For car that's going to be tracked regularly, there are way better options of course.

I like the 328i too because its simpler and rwd, but I'm just not a fan of the Audi's, kind of heavy, always at or near fwd weight distribution with lots of complexity, so IMO if you don't need AWD or FWD for snow, there are better options for a competent sporty car IMO.
Yes, because no Toyota ever had leaked timing chain covers, sunroofs that go in $$$$ thousands to fix.
****ty suspension, ****ty brakes, ****ty engines that hang too far in the front.
You can’t make pie out of crap.
He wants fun car, not “geriatric of the month “ contender.

OP, because you expressed interest in MB, our bought new by us 2006 MB C230 Sport was one of the biggest POS I've ever owned - and I've owned something like 32 or 33 cars. You'd be much better off going with Audi or BMW if you want German.

Scott

Ah yes, the 4 pipe exhaust Camry to allow that 2.5 to breath properly so that my son can overtake it on his Trek Junior bike.
If there is a vehicle that screams insecurity, it is that TRD, saying: I want something fun, but I have no idea what is vehicle.
You mean the 300+ hp 3.5L V6 that is legitimately quick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back