USA Owned filter and oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
For oil,

http://www.countrymark.com/countrymark/aboutus/americanoil.aspx

They make oils, gear lubes, etc., but, they also make fuel as well.

We buy the diesel fuel for our farm from them. They are also expanding their gas stations, and just opened one in Muncie, IN which is where we go for shopping and supplies.

We like them because not only do they source their crude from the Illinois Basin, but, they offer a 91 octane version that is ethanol free.

To make it even better, they are now top tier as well.

As far as oil filters go, that one is harder. Ten years ago, I would have said Purolator, and while they are still making them here, they have been bought out. Champion Labs, maybe? Although, they have been bought out as well. It gets confusing sometimes, in the last couple of years it seems as if there have a lot of buy-outs, mergers, and takeovers.

The good news is that walking into our local home improvement stores, it seems like more and more items are being made in USA.

Seeing how we live in Indiana, it's nice to see the Toyota Tundras being built here!

The only problem with this U.S. only thing regarding oils, the finished product is such a wild mixture of stuff that it is doubtful one can even put together a complete oil, lube, or grease that doesn't incorporate something from a company that is global and not U.S. based.

I checked out the website and I got nothing from their diesel and gas engine oils that they are making much of anything. Sure they are blending, but all their gas engine oil stuff is either synthetic or synthetic blend, and I find it very doubtful they are doing their own synthetic base stock. True, they make the claim about refining fuel, but they seem to make no claim they are exclusively refining their own base oil stocks.

And I am not a geologist to know if the crude that is coming out of the Illinois basin is the right crude to get what one wants for a base oil stock. Some crude is best for fuel, some best for other products. Could be that the Illinois stuff is the lighter crude which is ideal for fuel.

There is a different between Amercian made and American blended. Similar to American made vs American assembled.

Is every component in the oil made by Ashland (Valvoline) and only sourced from exclusively American companies? Not sure I buy into that one. Just too much goes into a motor oil to cause me to think that there is a motor oil that is totally, 100% made by an exclusively American company.

And besides.. does it really matter?

Not sure if it's true, but I was told by someone from corporate office with Schaeffer that they only use American base stocks.

Buy what you want - and what you think represents value. Don't worry about where anything is made. Let the free market take care of itself. If everybody bought American cars back in the 80s when the Japs were obviously better, then American cars would never have been pressured to learn and improve. The free marketplace makes everyone better - I only wish it was a bit more free.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Just remember when it's time to replace that Honda of yours that just because the nameplate says GM or Ford, there is no guarantee what you buy will employ more Americans that the nameplates of Honda or Toyota. So many parts these days come from overseas that its difficult to know which brand to purchase.

Regarding cars, probably the best you can do is check the VIN number and buy something that was at least assembled in the country you want to support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number#Country_codes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back