USA oil-filter manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently Fram/Champion and Wix/Purolator/Mann+Hummel seem to be the only two major oil-filter manufacturers in the USA, making aftermarket, OEM, and third-party-branded oil filters.

Are there any other major USA oil-filter manufacturers?

Also, given that there are only two consolidated manufacturers now, quality of the USA oil filters seem to have increased and become similar across different brands. High-grade, synthetic-media USA oil filters like Mobil 1 EP, Fram Ultra, Wix XP, Purolator Boss seem to be of higher quality than Japanese OEM oil filters that are made in Thailand etc., which seem to be more similar to low-grade, non-synthetic-media USA oil filters.

Any thoughts?

Besides Baldwin/Hastings, also remember than Fram and Champ split up last year.

Hengst makes at least some filters in the US, including the E630H (it's the OEM filter for many GM 2.2/2.4 Ecotecs)

I'm sure the "inferior spec" OEM Japanese filters are why vehicles from Toyota, for example, often run 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles. The "Boutique" filter makers have to gin up some kind of argument.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I'm sure the "inferior spec" OEM Japanese filters are why vehicles from Toyota, for example, often run 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles. The "Boutique" filter makers have to gin up some kind of argument.

It would be a good argument for Japanese-OEM filters making Japanese cars last for 400,000+ miles except almost no one uses them after the warranty period, which is 60,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

It would be a good argument for Japanese-OEM filters making Japanese cars last for 400,000+ miles except almost no one uses them after the warranty period, which is 60,000 miles.

You are kidding, right?

Originally Posted By: PimTac

You are kidding, right?

Why? Few people take their cars to the dealer for an oil change when their cars age. Since dealers are the only places that carry these OEM filters, few people have them installed in their cars after the first few years of their cars.

.. Few people take their cars to the dealer for an oil change when their cars age. Since dealers are the only places that carry these OEM filters, few people have them installed in their cars after the first few years of their cars.
Source? That's not credible, especially when the OEM filters are sometimes better constructed than some US-made filters that cost twice as much.

If your agenda is just to dump on foreign products using ignorance and prejudice, why bother with the question? A question which was the focus until you steered the conversation in a different direction. Your intentions are transparent, good job bringing the hate.

Originally Posted By: jtfmdyk
If your agenda is just to dump on foreign products using ignorance and prejudice, why bother with the question? A question which was the focus until you steered the conversation in a different direction. Your intentions are transparent, good job bringing the hate.

Did you notice that I drive a Toyota? And I've mostly used the OEM oil filter.

I have no idea what you're referring to. I made a valid criticism about a comment that made it sound like most people take their cars to the dealer for an oil change. I'm in the DIY minority and get to put in whatever I want.

Currently Fram/Champion and Wix/Purolator/Mann+Hummel seem to be the only two major oil-filter manufacturers in the USA, making aftermarket, OEM, and third-party-branded oil filters.

Mann is a German company and owner of Purolator and WIX, making them German companies as well.

Are there any other major USA oil-filter manufacturers?

Donaldson, Champion Labs, Baldwin

Also, given that there are only two consolidated manufacturers now, quality of the USA oil filters seem to have increased and become similar across different brands. High-grade, synthetic-media USA oil filters like Mobil 1 EP, Fram Ultra, Wix XP, Purolator Boss seem to be of higher quality than Japanese OEM oil filters that are made in Thailand etc., which seem to be more similar to low-grade, non-synthetic-media USA oil filters.

The Purolator Boss and WIX XP are not even in the same ballpark as FRAM Ultra in efficiecny, both are very low though they do have good capacity. The Mobil EP filter IS NOT a synthetic media filter, it is a cellulose/syn blend similar to FRAM TG.
Any thoughts?

I think this has more to do with the build quality of japanese engines and the fact that most japanese car owners are diligent about maintenance.

Not USA owned but USA manufactured.... Filtech. They also make the HAMP filters which are imported back to Japan for Honda applications.

American engines have generally been second to none in reliability over the history of the automobile. Now in modern times, pretty much all cars seem to have very reliable engines. There are a few duds but not many. I was looking at the ST oil filters and they said 75% USA parts, what does that even mean? I think they changed that label lately. I looked at a Toyota Corolla and it said made in Mississippi and engine made in USA. I think maybe also trans. I looked at a Ford and it says made in Mexico. GM is big on Korean parts. My Chev Volt has a Korean battery, Japanese transmission, and USA made engine designed in Germany by GM Opel. An oil filter may have an element media made in China and the rest is made in USA who knows what is going on these days.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
The Mobil EP filter IS NOT a synthetic media filter, it is a cellulose/syn blend similar to FRAM TG.
Any thoughts?

Which is a good thing, because I've got 10,380 miles on the Tough Gard oil filter in my truck.
grin.gif

Not all of FRAM's oil filters are manufactured in the USA.

CH9972 cartridge filter for Toyota/Lexus 2GR-FE engine is one example. They are made in China. They used to be made in the US, but why not source it out to someone who can make it cheaper (China) and sell it for the same retail price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back