Denso oil filters wildly varying quality with COO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
FWIW, my Accord was always serviced using the OEM Honda filters with also low efficiency ratings at 7-9k intervals up until 573k or so. Perhaps the efficiency isn't that necessary in a good engine?

Correct. Since all those filters have to do is catch the rocks people put in their engines, being rock catchers is perfect for the application.

I got a bunch of Thai Denso filters on Epay for my I 4 Camrys. (I'm giving Bezos as little dough as possible) I've taken several apart and seem no problems, then again I'm not clairvoyant like the Framboys and yes, the sample is small. My '99 has 350 K on it and the Densps haven't killed it yet, nor did the Pure Ones prior to that.

You would think that if Denso made Toyota filters and their low efficiency ratings were a factor, you would see it in failure data of said Toyota engines? What little reports of Toyota engine failures there is, are either owners neglect or sludge issues from bad rings or PCV systems but that has nothing to do with their Denso OEM installed filters.

As to Denso aftermarket filters for other applications, I think they bring a great value in terms of hardy construction methods and overall good quality albeit a hit in filter media efficiency.

Originally Posted By: Garak
You want to see horrific differences in quality by country of origin, compare German Mann filters versus North American ones.
whistle.gif

Of course that doesn't increase the life of engines. The oil you use is far more important than the filter you use.

FWIW, my Accord was always serviced using the OEM Honda filters with also low efficiency ratings at 7-9k intervals up until 573k or so. Perhaps the efficiency isn't that necessary in a good engine?

You have overwhelming evidence it's not. It's just that the numbers of higher efficiency filters give warm and fuzzies. Kind of like the specs on the latest smartphone. Do we all need a 1.1 million gigahertz processor to watch YouTube and make phone calls? No but we like to have it anyway.

Imagine how many more miles you could have accumulated on that Honda had you used quality filters instead?
{sarc}

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Garak
You want to see horrific differences in quality by country of origin, compare German Mann filters versus North American ones.
whistle.gif

Of course that doesn't increase the life of engines. The oil you use is far more important than the filter you use.

Mann owns Tearolator filters. So a Mann can be produce in a Purolator plant.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Yes, you would think bypass valve would prevent such problems. It could also be installation errors by the owner, such as overtorquing or putting the O-ring in the wrong groove.
Having seen a few low-end Ecotec cartridges get squashed by being made too long, and given Purolator's "reputation" for quality, I'm guessing that was caused by making the cartridge too long.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
... Having seen a few low-end Ecotec cartridges get squashed by being made too long, and given Purolator's "reputation" for quality, I'm guessing that was caused by making the cartridge too long.
Or too weak to withstand the spring force if the length was within the generous length tolerance allowed by the spring in the cartridge holder. (I'm assuming a spring-loaded affair similar to that in my Toyota.)

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
... Having seen a few low-end Ecotec cartridges get squashed by being made too long, and given Purolator's "reputation" for quality, I'm guessing that was caused by making the cartridge too long.

Or too weak to withstand the spring force if the length was within the generous length tolerance allowed by the spring in the cartridge holder. (I'm assuming a spring-loaded affair similar to that in my Toyota.)

You ran the Mazda GLC to over 600k miles? That's pretty cool.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
... You ran the Mazda GLC to over 600k miles? That's pretty cool.
Yes, thanks. That was on conventional oil (various brands, mostly 10W-40, occasionally 10W-30), oil changes usually around 6000 miles, and oil filter every third oil change unless I spotted a problem. No ridge I could see or feel at the tops of cylinders when the head was off at 476k. No other apparent sign of wear of oily engine parts. No significant deterioration in torque (modest from the start!) or fuel consumption.

Here is a picture of a Mobil 151 EP filter from an Ecotec used for 7,200 miles. Don't know why it appears crushed. AC Delco filters don't look very good when they come out either. I've had the best luck with cheap filters like the Fram Extra Guard or Chinese no name filters.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I'd agree, but that doesn't mean I'm going to shell out money for a poorly constructed filter. I have no problem with German Manns. I won't purchase a North American Mann, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back