URGENT TV ALERT! - Extended OCIs on MotorWeek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw it on my local PBS station. Never thought of long life/extended oil filters before. I just bought Mann or Mahle for my BMW and went on.

However, I do not do true extended oil changes on my car. I have only gone 4.500 miles max. However, the PO went up to 7,500 with BMW dealer service. Wonder if the BMW OM extended filters (as Pat Goss mentioned) are available for any model BMW? Will check with my dealer.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
...Pat Goss managed to recommend reducing the OEM oil change intervals to 1,000 miles or less. (to avoid the high wax content common to widely used paraffinic base oils...).

Hey, would I lie?

You are serious? He, no kidding, said that?

No MotorWeek on our channels.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by CosmicFlash:
It was ok. He seemed to focus more on filters than the oil...

It's been my experience that Mr. Goss focuses on whichever product he's getting paid to hawk on a particular day. Which is not to say that he might not be right, but it would be a coincidence.

Go figure. They chose to show all FRAM filters. Possibly even more people buying crappy filters now.

[ May 01, 2006, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: mshu7 ]

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
I couldn't watch; my car just passed 3K miles and i had to change the oil.

No matter how awesome my OCIs are I just have this nagging feeling that I have to change my oil at 3k miles. Glad to see I'm not alone
tongue.gif

I've sworn to take this Amsoil to 10,000 miles. I'm only at 2,000 already getting the jitters and butterflies.
frown.gif
dunno.gif

Interesting transcript. From what I understand, VW uses the canister-type filters like BMW in their newer engines (such as the 2.0T). They recommend a less-aggressive 10k interval than BMW's OLM.

They have now posted the transcript of the Goss segment of last weekend's show on their website for all to read.

Regardless of what you might think about what he says, if you can catch the show when it airs on SPEED this week (second segment, roughly 7-8 minutes into the program), do so if only to see the humorous (maybe only to BITOG-ers) transition during the segment.

What do I mean? Go to the transcript and read the beginning of the second paragraph. As he is saying, "...there's another problem. That other problem is the oil filter...", the camera changes focus from him standing next to the Mobil 1 bottles, to him gesturing down to the FRAM filters in front of him as he lowers his eyes to look at them. Subtle and, no doubt, unintentional, but noticeable nonetheless.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
It's been my experience that Mr. Goss focuses on whichever product he's getting paid to hawk on a particular day. Which is not to say that he might not be right, but it would be a coincidence.

Not to single Mr. Goss out, but just about every gearhead related TV show on Speed seems to be pushing something, from Car Crazy (Meguirres) to Two Guys Garage (three really, pushing just about anything, even the Tornado
rolleyes.gif
) to American Thunder pushing Victory bikes.

Do they think people are that stupid? <<<rhetorical question. I know the answer.

I watch the Sat. and Sun. morning car and truck shows a lot. After watching at least two different shows recommend the Tornado over and over (one was Two Guys Garage and the other has two young guys on it, both of which annoy me, but I can't remember the name of the show), I don't trust any product that any of them put in a plug for.

If you want to see it on SPEED, it'll be on Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. EDST, and on Friday at 7:00 a.m. EDST.

Just watched it...What a disappointment!

Right after he said "...there's another problem. That other problem is the oil filter...", I knew it was bad when he said "...we have 5 filters, all from Fram..."

Painful Marketing for Fram and Mobil.

mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back