Upgraded to a HD6960.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I bought a AMD HD6950 2GB to replace my HD5870. I was not going to, I thought. I was planning on waiting until the next cycle when they finally have 22nm chips and pick one up then.
Weeelll, my 5870 has a grinding fan and needs RMA'd. I didnt want to send it in since I would lose it for several weeks, but at the same time, I couldnt play games.
At the same time, Ive been looking for a card for my brother. I needed the card to drive a 1080P HDTV, so it needed some power.
I was going back and forth on what to do when I stumbled on some interesting information.
Apparently, the reference 6950s currently shipping are locking out the extra 128 shaders via the BIOS on the card. Soo, all that needs to be done to go from 1408 shaders to 1536 is a BIOS flash.
So, I picked one up, and filed for a RMA on the 5870.
My 6950 identifies itself as a 6970, has 1536 shaders and runs 890/1380, +20% powertune. Only issue is it has to be kept under 90C under (furmark) load or it crashes in a couple minutes. Peak (furmark) temp was 100C. I need to find some program to take over fan control..
Also, the 6970 clocks are about the most I can get out of the card. Ive played around with it a bit and slightly more is about all you will get. I tried 900/1400. No go. 890/1380 seems to be alright, though thats not a significant amount. This is probably how they are selecting chips for 6950 usage. They are not running 880+whatever% margin they consider 'safe.' Considering its $90-100 less, its a worthwhile trade-off, I think.
When I get the 5870 back, I will give it to my brother for the machine Im putting together for him. Still a very capable card that isnt cheap, and I think it will work well.
This is what I have so far as his:
Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2GHz @ 3.6GHz
2x 2GB GSkill DDR3-1333 8-8-8-21
Sapphire ATi Radeon HD5870 1GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF
Cooler Master UCP 700W PS
4x Seagate 7200.11 500GB

Needs a case, optical, and a copy of Winders. Ive been scrounging most of these parts. Only the RAM and the HSF are new. I guess the video card is technically 'new' too; but it was bought and paid for long before I started gathering parts for it.
Think Im going to get him the Cooler Master HAF 922 for a case.

*Im working on replacing my 4x 7200.11 500GB RAID 5 with 4x Samsung F3R 1TB. Likely will run them RAID 10 in his.

What do you play and how does it compare to the 5870?
I have a 5870 and I love it.. It's an awesome card and so far it handles everything I can throw at it. Although it does have an i7 to push it.

I took a little different approach. My 8800 GT was getting laud and hot, over 90C after about half and hour of playing and around 50C at idle.
The rig is over 3 years old, but is enough to run pretty much all recent games on medium to high settings, but since I'm not playing much and 8800GT is more than capable to watch HD movies, it was not worth it for me to invest in a new card.

So I bought a GPU cooler (Arctic Cooling Accelero S1) for around $30 and now my card runs at ~52C full load for hours on the ATI Tools GPU test. Best of all, the computer is much quieter now.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
I'm selling my 8800gt for my gtx560. Maybe you'd like to buy it to put yours in sli?

Thanks for the offer Justin, but my motherboard is not SLI capable
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: justinf89
I'm selling my 8800gt for my gtx560. Maybe you'd like to buy it to put yours in sli?

Thanks for the offer Justin, but my motherboard is not SLI capable
frown.gif

Worth a try. There's really nothing wrong with mine but It's just time to upgrade. The 90c is really not unheard of, I wouldn't worry about it.

Jeez, people upgrading from a 5870. I'm still on a 5770 looking to get a 5870. Always one step behind. At the moment, I can't imagine needing anything beyond a 5870 at 1920x1080. I can run pretty much everything at almost maximum settings and run it well. As much more powerful than a 5770 the 5870 is, it just seems overkill to go anything higher than that. But then I did just upgrade from a Core 2 Duo so I guess being at the very top of the latest technology pile doesn't matter much to me.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
What do you play and how does it compare to the 5870?
I have a 5870 and I love it.. It's an awesome card and so far it handles everything I can throw at it. Although it does have an i7 to push it.

I dont have any hard FPS data since I forget to open FRAPS.
I played through Metro 2033 for the first time this weekend. 1920x1200, Ultra High, 4xAA, 16xAF. Smooth most of the time. Only a few times it got a bit stuttery, for no reason I could see on the screen.
Also, started Just Cause 2. 1920x1200, 8x AA, 16x AF, all high. Benchmarked 48FPS, 60FPS, 30FPS in the 3 benchmarking options.
Opened Fallout: NV for comparison to my 5870. 1920x1200, 4x AA, 16x AF, Ultra High. Smooth as butter. The 5870 would be a bit stuttery with a lot of stuff going on on-screen.
Going to fire Borderlands later today to compare there. Same story there, bit stuttery at the extremes with the 5870.
But, I think I finally have enough power to drive my 1920x1200 screen maxed out. It only took 3 cards. Started with a 3870 in 2008, a 5870 in 2010 and a 6970 in 2011.
Nick, I was going to skip the 6000 series completely. But, I needed another card.

Nice, thanks for the mini review with your FPS findings.
Side note.. Do you like New Vegas?
Ive been considering buying it. Looks like a great game!

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

At the same time, Ive been looking for a card for my brother. I needed the card to drive a 1080P HDTV, so it needed some power.

Wrong, you can drive a 1080P HDTV with some pretty lowly hardware, like the 4350 that doesn't even require a fan...

Now if he wants to also play games, then that's something else. But you don't need a lot of power to push HD decoding and 1080P.

My parents computer is an AMD 4850e and GeForce 9300GE ([censored] OEM HP version) and can decode Blu-Ray and play it back in perfect 1080P. It was a gift from me Christmas 2008 for expressly that purpose.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Wrong, you can drive a 1080P HDTV with some pretty lowly hardware, like the 4350 that doesn't even require a fan...

Now if he wants to also play games, then that's something else. But you don't need a lot of power to push HD decoding and 1080P.

My parents computer is an AMD 4850e and GeForce 9300GE ([censored] OEM HP version) and can decode Blu-Ray and play it back in perfect 1080P. It was a gift from me Christmas 2008 for expressly that purpose.

Yes, thats what I was getting at. He wants to be able to play games on it. I should have specified.
Im aware it wont take much power at all to do 1080P movie. I have a 3.2GHz Prescott with a underclocked Geforce 9400GT that does just fine.
I want to upgrade that machine to a Geforce 210, but only for HDMI out. I have wierd tearing when playing videos I cant seem to track down. It isnt present on other inputs so I suspect its soome sort of issue, possibly a frame delay, in the part of the screen that handles VGA in. Plus, its cleaner with just one cord and HDCP ability as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back