Under Valve Cover 2005 Scion tC 170k miles 2.4L 2AZ-FE

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Used non synthetic oil for first 100k with basic Toyota dealer OLF and then switched to a variety of high mileage synthetics mostly M1. Consistent 5k oil changes with 2 or 3 that I pushed to 7k and 1 to 10k. Burns about a quart max if I push the engine to 7k + but I overfill now. Valve cover pic is after I wiped it down.

70k on the plugs which were completed at the same time, not sure why the threads were rusty.

Valve Cover Off.JPG

Valve Cover.JPG

Plugs 1.jpg
Plugs.jpg

Those engines sure burnt a lot of oil. I have a 2008 Tc in my shop now replacing the motor that the girl burned up because she simply would not check the oil. Great running motor just burned a lot of oil.

Those engines sure burnt a lot of oil. I have a 2008 Tc in my shop now replacing the motor that the girl burned up because she simply would not check the oil. Great running motor just burned a lot of oil.
The 05's weren't as bad as later years from what I understand. I'm tempted to B12 the rings though. 06 and up had low oil pressure issues which ruined a lot of engines and to boot the oil pressure sensor commonly malfunctioned so unless you knew check the oil, you had no clue you were running low.

The 05's weren't as bad as later years from what I understand. I'm tempted to B12 the rings though. 06 and up had low oil pressure issues which ruined a lot of engines and to boot the oil pressure sensor commonly malfunctioned so unless you knew check the oil, you had no clue you were running low.
I think you are right - I know Toyota had a special warranty on them that was basically a ring job. The motor I put in was from a 2010 and it seems to be much better. I will add that the car was purchased used and it had a hard life so the engine was on borrowed time and a teenage girl put the last nail in that coffin lol.

Back on topic, sorry - that engine looks good.
The 05-06 engine was the same in the Scion tC. And it didn't suffer from the oil consumption issue..It was actually the 07+ Scion tC's that burned more oil.. The engine was updated with different oil jets and low tension piston rings that led to oil consumption. The problem ran from late 07 to about 09 until they corrected the issue.

Had to clear this up.. Just in case someone reads this in the future..

Looks very good! And the plugs you replaced looked almost new (to me). I imagine they have rust on the threads because the valve cover gasket was doing a very good job preventing oil leaking down into those spark plug tubes. I’ve had plugs totally soaked with oil on those threads for two reasons...leaking valve cover seals, and oil piston ring blow by (Yes- I’ve actually had oil burners push the oil right up into spark plug threads, and a lot of it). Try some anti- seize next time...even though you’re not supposed to anymore.

Back