ULTRA.....good deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. It's all cyclical and there are many good oils out there.

I just hope when it does come to Canada they don't price it sky high! The nice thing about GC was that it was (and still is) always cheaper than Mobil 1. It also went on sale a lot too making it an even better deal. (M1 sales are rare here and they never drop the price that much either)

I've always found awesome deals on PP as well, our Walmarts have sold it for $19 for a 4.4L jug for a good portion of the past year. But if Ultra ends up being double that price (which I suspect it might) I'm not so sure it'll be a big seller up here. And from my own point of view, if it is priced twice as much, can I justify spending that much $$$? Is it really going to benefit me that much compared to PP? Since PP is already an awesome oil, my thinking is that switching to Ultra is probably not going to show me any noticeable benefits, but I also gotta admit that the novelty of trying out a new oil is also hard to resist, so I'm really kinda torn on this one now.

I still think a synthetic oil should not have a volatility of over 12%.

Sure, this oil may have great detergency than most other synthetic oils, but for the recommended OEM service intervals it is probably a moot point.

I hate you people! With all this talk, I'm getting the itch to try it and I have several years worth of PP and Rotella T syn to use up.

Just got back from my wallyworld and Ultra is on the shelf! 5w30 and 5w20 in the 5qt jugs $28 and 10w30 in quarts only. $6.97 each for all Ultra quarts. Like many here I have a large stash and will wait on UOAs of Ultra

My plan is to start using the Ultra in my Silverado.... and use up the PP stash in Mom's car and Dad's truck.

Seems like a "win-win" to me.

5w30 Pennzoil Ultra in the Sierra...running smooth. I follow the OLM, so when it gets to 10%, I'll change and send off a sample!

Originally Posted By: 08_SHELBY
Just got back from my wallyworld and Ultra is on the shelf! 5w30 and 5w20 in the 5qt jugs $28 and 10w30 in quarts only. $6.97 each for all Ultra quarts. Like many here I have a large stash and will wait on UOAs of Ultra

urgghhh, I'm gonna re-check a WM today.....I want it!

Exceeds:
API SN,SM
GM 4718M
HTO-06
ACEA A1/B5

Claims superior performance on Seq IVA
Tbn-13

$6.97qt.

That is tough to beat. Only Mobil 1 comes close.

I don't think volatility is an issue. If it were, I'm not sure it would do as well in some of the tests. It is a tad higher compared to the others though.

I got some just now!!!!!!!!! The guy was setting up the new "mod" and I snagged a 5 qt. I am going to put this in now.

the walmart here does not have the oil on the shelf yet, but they have the signs, showing where it will be going and the price $28

Originally Posted By: cos
Nice to know!

I was at my local Wally World today and they had in qts and jugs.

I was at Commerce and Milford this weekend and they didn't have it. Where did you find it?

Checked our shipment today and some came in. Not out on the shelf yet so I can't buy it. Besides, I just picked up a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 0W30 green cap for $19 and I'm not gonna waste it. Forgot to add that we are just now getting a decent supply of Edge. Not interested myself but it's finally coming.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PurplePride
Do you guys switch wives as often? :)

I would if I could, but it's cheaper to keep her.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
So this oil's best claim to fame is it's long life?

Real claim to fame is it is "new", therefor the current forum sweetheart, just as Castrol Edge was before it. Nothing special about either.......certainly no better or worse than the old standby Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back