Anyone notice a pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a fairly well established fact that Mobil 1 keeps your engine as clean as new, and prevents high temperature deposits extremely well. Always has. For example, Renewable Lubricants TEOST testing brochure, Honda's HTO-06 testing and Mobil's comparison against Syntec, which OilGuy provided.

For all of those that have thought Mobil 1 is overrated, I tend to disagree. The biggest change we've seen with most synthetics has been in deposit/sludge control. Each company is trying to outdo the other by using %'s for cleaning power. Improved detergent/sludge/deposit control has been a major issue. These oils are just now catching up to M1/RL/Amsoil etc.

I think Ultra is going to be on par with Mobil 1, or even a bit better. Ultra exceeds SN, HTO-06 and retains it's great Seq IVA performance.

Thats interesting. Id have to agree. People poke at small changes in UOA results, but miss the big picture.

I think the new Ultra should be good, although we probably wont see much of it up here. Mobil 1 will always be a strong performer.

what good is a clean 'worn ' engine? -as evidenced by high Fe ratings in UOA. I would rather the oil have a good dose of EP and AW agents and a little detergent. The inside of a motor was never meant so clean as to eat off of.

Originally Posted By: steve20
what good is a clean 'worn ' engine? -as evidenced by high Fe ratings in UOA. I would rather the oil have a good dose of EP and AW agents and a little detergent. The inside of a motor was never meant so clean as to eat off of.

There are different types of wear. Deposits can lead to exponential wear rate increases.

Mobil 1's weakness may have been the Seq IVA at one point, but it probably exceeds it now I would assume.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
steve20, do you really think the Fe ratings in the UOA's of Mobil 1 is evidence of a worn engine?

What about all the high iron with Mobil I read about here? What is the significance of that, if any, and why do some people consider it an issue while others don't?

I am still learning.

Originally Posted By: Jehartley
steve20, do you really think the Fe ratings in the UOA's of Mobil 1 is evidence of a worn engine?

What about all the high iron with Mobil I read about here? What is the significance of that, if any, and why do some people consider it an issue while others don't?

I am still learning.

I've been here since the beginning and worked in the oil industry for over 21 years and I'm still asking that question.

Way to much is being made of that small meaningless number. Now if that number was up above lets say 125ppm, then we might have something to be concerned about.

Would it appear self-serving to link to one of my own posts? If it helps, Johnny approved it...
27.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1767943#Post1767943

I think the high iron matters only if it correlates with actual engine wear, there are some indications it might. But determining if this is a M1 issue or a UOA/emission spectroscopy issue is tricky, IMO.

M1 keeps engines very clean, no one can take that away from them.

Originally Posted By: Jehartley

I am still learning.

Iron interacts with Phosphourous, and i use Valvoline MacxLife as a Ful Synthetic with Synthetic Base Oil.. thats all i know.

Mobil1 has really lost it's edge (no castrol pun)and allowed all the other producers to catch up. Amsoil was never really in the game as it is a boutique oil and not readily available in the retail sector and way overpriced.

While both Mobil1 and Amsoil were once the leaders...they have now been surpassed by virtually ALL of the other companies who make products as good or better.

So, Amsoil & Mobil1 are really the "has beens" of the synthetic oil industry and neither has led the way in the past 5 years. PP has dented them both IMO especially in engine cleaning capability.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about M1 oils, but here is one personal example that I know of... my good friend used 5W-30 M1 for 3000 mile oci until his 1996 Acura 2.5 TL reached 200,000 miles. Several observations that I had was when we pulled off the valve cover to replace the gasket and timing belt, the engine was spotless. At the same time he mentioned to me that his engine now leaks a bit of oil from the rear main seal. The third thing I noticed was that after the car sits all night, there is quite a bit of rumbling on the bottom end until it builds oil pressure within a second or two. This is consistent regardless of type/brand of oil filter. He has since moved to 10W-40 HM M1 for the warm season and 10W-30 HM M1 for the mild winters here and that has helped some. He also now does 8000 miles oci or more with a good filter, since I told him he was wasting good oil. The oil comes out looking fairly good still, by my standards. He can hardly afford unnecessary extra expenses in his current financial state.

Did he have higher wear using M1 5W-30? I cannot say for sure. The car still runs and sounds great, except for that first morning start.

The first engine in my truck still looked like new on the insides with 200,000 on it and a steady diet of Mobil 1 for its life.

I have never seen a motor that used M1 all it's life that was dirty inside or worn out due to lubrication issues. It really is top shelf stuff.

Originally Posted By: KW
I have never seen a motor that used M1 all it's life that was dirty inside or worn out due to lubrication issues.

Plenty of Subarus that see regular road course time (lots of sustained high speed cornering) without oil pan baffles or other oil system mods have had issues due to oil starvation using Mobil 1 in the specified grade (5w-30).

Don't know if you'd call that "lubrication issues" per se, considering 5w-30 is on the thin side of what those engines prefer even for street use and the oil pans clearly were not made for road course use. But there it is FWIW.

I guess the moral of the story is, I'd recommend adding "under anything like normal use" to what you said.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back