Anyone notice a pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

M1 keeps engines very clean, no one can take that away from them.

you ain't lieing!

I have two customers at work that own the same truck/engine... drive in the same environments, use the same OCI... one uses Rotella 15w-40 dino, the other uses plain jane M1 10w-30........ I know people don't like to compare colors of oils.... but I know what color that rotella was when I put it in there, and I know what color it is 15 seconds after the engine is running.... BLACK as night! Yet this guy who runs M1 10w-30, not even a diesel oil.... has the cleanest engine and oil I've ever seen in a diesel.......

the M1 engine has more miles on it as well............ and hes not even spot on with the OCI(the oil can probably afford to go longer anyhow)

but the guy who uses Rotella religiously changes his oil every 5k or less....

Why is it always Mobil One involved in this kind of thread??? Why is never a GTX like oil which is just as popular, or PYB another popular oil? We cannot go a month without with ## years using Mobil going to its support, or someone whose uncle has 375,000 on his truck etc. It will never end I guess especially now that football is over. Where does the FE. come from??? who supplies it/ or donates it in the UOA? Instead of FE> I would to see an increase in Boron.We all know what you get mixing Boron and Moly???
54.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Why is it always Mobil One involved in this kind of thread??? Why is never a GTX like oil which is just as popular, or PYB another popular oil? We cannot go a month without with ## years using Mobil going to its support, or someone whose uncle has 375,000 on his truck etc. It will never end I guess especially now that football is over. Where does the FE. come from??? who supplies it/ or donates it in the UOA? Instead of FE> I would to see an increase in Boron.We all know what you get mixing Boron and Moly???
54.gif

Are all of the posters here that have good results with M1 to be told to be quite. Many here have had good real world results with M1 oils including here's truly. By the way the two UOAs I have done were under 15 PPM FE with 10,000 miles OCI. I haven't seen a UOA that was a problem with FE that was with M1.

I don't know.
I have used a lot of M1 in various cars over the years, and never doubted that it was worth the cost.
If M1 really can limit deposit build up under high heat conditions, particularly around the rings, it should be able to keep the rest of the engine clean as well.
Could there be a reason beyond marketing that M1 is the factory fill and the recommended oil in so many high-end and high-performance cars?

All I know is that my 98 5.7L truck engine does not like Mobil 1. Its noisier and uses more oil when I used to run it and I've always used an AC-Delco filter so I know its not the filter causing the noisy engine. The engine is quiet with conventional oil and has better oil analysis results.

I bought this truck new and its always had 3,000 mile oil changes except for a few times and none over 5,000 miles. The 98 Pontiac GP GT I used to have was the same way. Noisy and more oil consumption on 10W-30 Mobil 1.

I don't dispute the fact that Mobil 1 keeps engines clean. I used to be a diehard Mobil 1 fan and used it for years. I just think there are a lot of better oils out there for the same price.

Wayne

And again,with these threads, someone just as it happened writes in that they are doing better with dino including uoa results, noise etc. I know it depends on alot of things like the dome light, radio, ammount of snow or rain and other
54.gif
silly blah blah.

Why is it so hard to believe that someone could have better UOA results with a Dino compared to a synthetic? Look at the UOA section of this forum and you can find plenty of them. You must have drank too much synthetic koolaid.

Does anyone remember that film where the teacher ask a question and then says anyone??anyone?? anyone?? the point I was making is that in these often repeated threads of Mobil One the same thigs are said over and over again.Just like someone pointing dino does just or better than a syn they were using. ANYONE? ANYONE? ANYONE?Anyone notice a pattern YES I DID>Good night Gracie.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: wtd
Why is it so hard to believe that someone could have better UOA results with a Dino compared to a synthetic? Look at the UOA section of this forum and you can find plenty of them. You must have drank too much synthetic koolaid.
The pattern i see in the UOA section between dino and synthetic is that (most) synthetic UOA's have been run much longer than what (most) dino's have been run, Notice how I say MOST! So naturaly you will see lower wear numbers on a dino that has been run for 3 to 4k compared to a synthetic that hase been run for 6 to 10k. I myself have never used synthetic oil untill just a few days ago when i put a very well known, on this forum, synthetic oil in my truck just to give it a try and so far i am pleased with the results. It has been very cold here in the mornings and I do not have as much start up clatter as I did before and the only conclusion I can come up with, is the known fact about the synthetic oil flows faster than dino does at cold temps. Does it give me more protection in the long run? I cant say, but it has toned down the clatter in the mornings and thats good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: KW
I have never seen a motor that used M1 all it's life that was dirty inside or worn out due to lubrication issues.

Plenty of Subarus that see regular road course time (lots of sustained high speed cornering) without oil pan baffles or other oil system mods have had issues due to oil starvation using Mobil 1 in the specified grade (5w-30)...

Although there are Subaru turbo owner's that say they run it, it's hard to find one that has done a uoa. I used M1 5W-30 for my first synthetic fill and had a really loud knock when I started my car after it sat for three days in 100F temps. Haven't used it since and haven't had the knock since (could've been a fluke though).

Actually, I haven't used any GF-4/SM oil since.

-Dennis

Buster,

What ever synthetic anyone chooses I figure as long as it's a good oil then the idea of getting the best over another isn't necessary.

As long as I've been on this forum I've pretty much came to the conclusion that up to a certain extend a good oil is enough to take most people to an easy 6K OCI. If anyone wants to puch it further then any synthetic that is an "extended" will do just fine for perhaps 10K.

My 2 cents,

Durango

from WTD

"""I don't dispute the fact that Mobil 1 keeps engines clean. I used to be a diehard Mobil 1 fan and used it for years. I just think there are a lot of better oils out there for the same price."""

Sort of like the OCD: not a bad product, but for the money there are much better choices......PP, SynPower, QS etc.......

Originally Posted By: steve20
from WTD

"""I don't dispute the fact that Mobil 1 keeps engines clean. I used to be a diehard Mobil 1 fan and used it for years. I just think there are a lot of better oils out there for the same price."""

Sort of like the OCD: not a bad product, but for the money there are much better choices......PP, SynPower, QS etc.......

That's your opinion. You can not prove that. It's easy to drop a dime on someone, or in this case an oil, here on the internet.

Originally Posted By: tig1
After 32 yeaers of using M1 oils I might switch to Fram synthetic. I predict it will be the new darling of Bitog in 3 weeks.

No I'm thinking Ultra will be the new Darling. I thought it would be Edge but I've changed my mind. I also think the Honda and Toyota 0W20 oils will surpass anything out there in the 0W20 flavor.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: 38sho

I know people don't like to compare colors of oils.... but I know what color that rotella was when I put it in there, and I know what color it is 15 seconds after the engine is running.... BLACK as night! Yet this guy who runs M1 10w-30, not even a diesel oil.... has the cleanest engine and oil I've ever seen in a diesel.......

My M1 fed cars are like that too,4-5,000 miles and oil is still a dark Carmel color,engines are clean in side,crazy.
All I know is that my 98 5.7L truck engine does not like Mobil 1. Its noisier and uses more oil when I used to run it

Hmmm really??? my 226,000 mile 99 z71 5.7 loves M1 HM,great oil pressure,no consumption at all in 5-6,000 mile OCI.

great truck runs like new!

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: 38sho

I know people don't like to compare colors of oils.... but I know what color that rotella was when I put it in there, and I know what color it is 15 seconds after the engine is running.... BLACK as night! Yet this guy who runs M1 10w-30, not even a diesel oil.... has the cleanest engine and oil I've ever seen in a diesel.......

My M1 fed cars are like that too,4-5,000 miles and oil is still a dark Carmel color,engines are clean in side,crazy.
All I know is that my 98 5.7L truck engine does not like Mobil 1. Its noisier and uses more oil when I used to run it

Hmmm really??? my 226,000 mile 99 z71 5.7 loves M1 HM,great oil pressure,no consumption at all in 5-6,000 mile OCI.

great truck runs like new!

A friend has 99 Silverado 5.3 with 260K and does 12-15K OCI with M1 5-30 and his engine is quite at start in all temps.

I used M1 5w30 for the first 15,000kms on my new jeep. Only reason I changed was price. PP is half the price around here, and protects just as well in my 3000 built a day, run of the mill production engine.
M1 definately has the brand name thing working for it, and it's definately good oil, but in Canada at over $40 a jug it is highly overpriced.

Take the untold millions in marketing away and all you have is Warren Products groupIII in a fancy silver jug...
If PP could have kept the price down for another couple of years they might have made a minisule dent in the market share that Exxon Mobil has paid out the pork to get.
Not to say that it is a bad product but hey, I see tons of customers with mega miles on their engines that can't even spell synthetic and their engines have no signs of varnish at all. Does M1 have some secret elixer to keep engines clean? Not hardly. The main benifit of running M1 is that it's everywhere, on every shelf,and in eye level,at all times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back