Anyone notice a pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jehartley
I am still learning.

Don't feel bad. Many posts you see here are by people, like me, who are still learning - although we might not make that immediately obvious the way we write them.

Well, all I know from my personal experience is that I didn't like how my engines sounded with Mobil 1 in them or my oil analysis results for the money I was spending. Do I think my engine would have died or not got high mileage from using it? No, I just think there are better oils out there. I'm also not into long oil change intervels, but thats just me. I don't care what anyone else here uses in their car. If it works and makes you happy, then great, but to say that people who come on here to say that their engine has more noise, uses more oil, or has worse oil analysis results compared to something else, are full of [censored] is wrong. I know what my experience with this oil was and I don't particularly care if anyone believes it.

Like I said before, I used Mobil 1 products in everything. Engine, tranny, front and rear diffs, and transfer case. When my tranny started slipping and I had to have my rearend partially rebuilt with hardly any towing or hauling at 75,000 miles, I quit using all Mobil 1 products. It could have been all coincidence but I lost faith in the product and won't use it again.

Wayne

Wayne,
If it weren't for bad luck you would have no luck at all. Sorry to hear of your plight.
I don't blame you for the way you feel.
But for the record, in 32 years of M1 use in engine, tranny, diffs, wheel bearings, and power steering pumps, I have never had a single oil related failure yet.
Notice I said yet.

Originally Posted By: wtd
Like I said before, I used Mobil 1 products in everything. Engine, tranny, front and rear diffs, and transfer case. When my tranny started slipping and I had to have my rearend partially rebuilt with hardly any towing or hauling at 75,000 miles, I quit using all Mobil 1 products. It could have been all coincidence but I lost faith in the product and won't use it again.

Wayne

coincidence plan and simple...

no issues what so ever with M1 lubes have used them for 20 years now no issues thats just absurd that all them problems would have arrived from using one oil.

Why do people bash Mobil 1? I spent 12 years in the printing industry working on MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR printing presses. The press I worked on cost around $5 million. WE USED SYNTHETIC MOBIL OIL FOR LUBRICATION PURPOSES.

True it is a different class of oil under completely different circumstances but I never saw a press with Pennzoil or Castrol in it. We bought synthetic Mobil in 55 gallon drums. Even when the company was cutting costs and buying cheaper paper and ink they still bought the Synthetic Mobil for the equipment.

The press cylinders rotated about 500,000 times PER DAY at peak output for 15 years with no lubrication failures......If that is not good enough then I don't know what is?

Originally Posted By: rewote500
Why do people bash Mobil 1? I spent 12 years in the printing industry working on MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR printing presses. The press I worked on cost around $5 million. WE USED SYNTHETIC MOBIL OIL FOR LUBRICATION PURPOSES.

True it is a different class of oil under completely different circumstances but I never saw a press with Pennzoil or Castrol in it. We bought synthetic Mobil in 55 gallon drums. Even when the company was cutting costs and buying cheaper paper and ink they still bought the Synthetic Mobil for the equipment.

The press cylinders rotated about 500,000 times PER DAY at peak output for 15 years with no lubrication failures......If that is not good enough then I don't know what is?

Sounds impressive, but have you ever thought about similar results coming from any other kind of synthetic motor oil?

Or even DINO motor oil?

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Sounds impressive, but have you ever thought about similar results coming from any other kind of synthetic motor oil?

Or even DINO motor oil?

Well when you work for a MULTI-BILLION dollar company with MULTI-MILLION dollar equipment that cuts cost everywhere they can and does not change the lubricant that tells me they know something us arm chair oil nerds do not......

They trust Synthetic Mobil to protect a $5 million dollar printing press so I think we can trust it in our measly cars. Anyway, I just do not get the fascination with Pennzoil on this forum. Out of every major oil brand available at Wal-Mart, Pennzoil and Quaker State have the worst reputation....I have never heard anything bad about Mobil 1 other than UAO's. I have also never heard anything bad about Castrol or Valvoline. Why buy the oil with the worst reputation? Everyone going nuts over Pennzoil Ultra which costs more than M1EP and doesn't even guarantee 15K OCI. Not that I'm pushing Mobil; I just do not see the big deal with Pennzoil since it has the worst reputation over the last 50 years out of every major oil brand.....

Google - Mobil 1 sludge
then...
Google - Pennzoil sludge

Nobody worries about sludge with M1 but Pennzoil is another story...

Yeah I know it's old new from the 70's but Mobil had no issues back then did they?

I'd need a lot more proof than some Google search results to buy into your statments. You like Mobil 1 then by all means use it. To say Pennzoil has the worst reputation over the last 50 years, this is the first time I'm hearing it. I've been driving and using it a good portion of those 50 years. My bet is anyone having issues with Pennzoil products are their own worst enemy, and their OC habits should be reviewed.

I'm wondering what Johnny and some other Pennzoil users think.

It was well below zero here yesterday morning, and both of the Accords, which had spent the night outdoors, cranked and started without issue, and ran without any unpleasant noises on their M1 fills.
Of course, I got the same results way back when using plain old 10W-40 dino in the Civics.
A lot has been posted on here over the years concerning M1 and noise.
I've never really noticed it, although I have noticed that putting a thicker oil in the engine at a change results in quieter operation.

PZ sludge issues. 20 million cars running either PZ or QS ..some had sludge. Millions did not.

Conclusion-PZ and QS cause sludge. FAIL

There were power plants that found the use of Mobil's synthetic oil in their cooling tower drives reduced overhaul rates by 50% or more.

Conclusion (a valid one): The service rate for changing out the former conventional lube was too long. The avoided costs of downtime for refitting paid much more than the cost of the synthetic lubes.

Anyway, I just do not get the fascination with Pennzoil on this forum. Out of every major oil brand available at Wal-Mart, Pennzoil and Quaker State have the worst reputation....I have never heard anything bad about Mobil 1 other than UAO's. I have also never heard anything bad about Castrol or Valvoline. Why buy the oil with the worst reputation? Everyone going nuts over Pennzoil Ultra which costs more than M1EP and doesn't even guarantee 15K OCI. Not that I'm pushing Mobil; I just do not see the big deal with Pennzoil since it has the worst reputation over the last 50 years out of every major oil brand.....

Google - Mobil 1 sludge
then...
Google - Pennzoil sludge

Yeah I know it's old new from the 70's but Mobil had no issues back then did they?

Going out on a limb, I actually fully agree with you.

When I service my friend's cars, I purposely avoid Pennzoil for this reason-- because of its terrible reputation. I simply do not want to use a controversial product (or one that is associated with Jiffy Lube) that may prompt some nerve wracking conversation.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Or even DINO motor oil?

Well when you work for a MULTI-BILLION dollar company with MULTI-MILLION dollar equipment that cuts cost everywhere they can and does not change the lubricant that tells me they know something us arm chair oil nerds do not......

They trust Synthetic Mobil to protect a $5 million dollar printing press so I think we can trust it in our measly cars. Anyway, I just do not get the fascination with Pennzoil on this forum. Out of every major oil brand available at Wal-Mart, Pennzoil and Quaker State have the worst reputation....I have never heard anything bad about Mobil 1 other than UAO's. I have also never heard anything bad about Castrol or Valvoline. Why buy the oil with the worst reputation? Everyone going nuts over Pennzoil Ultra which costs more than M1EP and doesn't even guarantee 15K OCI. Not that I'm pushing Mobil; I just do not see the big deal with Pennzoil since it has the worst reputation over the last 50 years out of every major oil brand.....

Google - Mobil 1 sludge
then...
Google - Pennzoil sludge

First of all, I don't bash any oil company. Anything with an API starburst logo on it is good in my book. API SM.. I'll use it!

I'm not trying to start anything, but maybe this Multi Million dollar company has people who don't know oil too well, so they go with Mobil Synthetic because it is the most marketed brand of motor oil on the planet.

I have no loyalty to any brand of oil, I switch all the time. I'm just saying that I bet that this company could have switched to Pennzoil, Valvoline, or even Warren Synthetic and not noticed a difference.

Were they sending used oil analysis to a lab to prove that Mobil was the best choice?

In most applications, oil is oil. The rest is just marketing, and many people read it as gospel.

My loyalty is to the price point of oil. I buy whatever is on sale, and have a whistle clean engine. Go figure. Right now I'm running Mobil 5000, last time was Quaker State.. I've finally used up my stash of 99 cent per quart Shell motor oil, so I have to get the "expensive" $11 5 quart jugs now..

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
PZ sludge issues. 20 million cars running either PZ or QS ..some had sludge. Millions did not.

Conclusion-PZ and QS cause sludge. FAIL

There were power plants that found the use of Mobil's synthetic oil in their cooling tower drives reduced overhaul rates by 50% or more.

Conclusion (a valid one): The service rate for changing out the former conventional lube was too long. The avoided costs of downtime for refitting paid much more than the cost of the synthetic lubes.

Great point. Synthetic motor oil is fantastic and has some great benefits. In industry, you can extend the oil change intervals and save huge amounts of money.

This works for fleets of vehicles great also. The difference in oil price is way cheaper than paying someone to service the vehicle or equipment twice as often. That is a no brainer..

If you are driving a commuter car, that you drive about 12k per year, then 2 changes with regular oil at 6 month intervals is better than leaving the oil in there for a year.

What I am trying to say is more about BITOG than the products....

I have not heard anything bad about M1, yet on this forum it is constantly bashed.

I have not heard anything bad about Castrol, yet when Edge came out it was no big deal.

I have never anything bad about Valvoline either and it gets little respect here.

Even Motorcraft has a solid reputation.

At the same time I have heard many mechanics and consumers talk negatively about Pennzoil and Quaker State which seem to be the most loved products of this forum. I even see people with the same screen names on other forums bashing M1 and pushing PP. Makes you wonder if these people work for SOPUS or something.

It is the above trend that makes me wonder why BITOG members are so in love with SOPUS which produces the most controversial oil? Castrol Edge was no big deal but Pennzoil Ultra is now the bomb even though Castrol has a better reputation among mechanics and consumers. I'm just saying....

Why do people think Pennzoil products are superior to M1, Castrol, Valvoline, and Motorcraft when Pennzoil has the worst reputation of the bunch....

Why do people think Pennzoil products are superior to M1, Castrol, Valvoline, and Motorcraft when Pennzoil has the worst reputation of the bunch....

We go by UOAs, not by what some old mechanics think. The oil Pennzoil horror stories were from before SOPUS bought out Pennzoil-Quaker State. Anyways, check out the UOA section. It's very extensive on this site

A few words about oil color. I use Mobil 1 in all my cars, switching to it after 3,000 miles with a new car. It stays a light color in my aluminum block engines but turns dark in the iron block ones.

Oh, I did switch to Castrol Edge in my Corvette because of high wear (lead) numbers in my UOA. I will report soon on results. Edge has made my Corvette engine quieter.

I have considered switching to PP in some of my cars, but it was more $ than M1 at WalMart, so I stayed with M1.

Quote:

PYB- was always a great product. Probably one of the top two brands of oil in most crankcases through the 70's. Sludge rep has already be explained.

PP- for the longest time it was so close to the price of conventional ..there really wasn't any reason not to use it.

I don't think it was ever called "better" than M1 (there are a few flavors). It was determined to be a better value in a synthetic for those who chose synthetics for their particular OCI.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81

We go by UOAs, not by what some old mechanics think. The oil Pennzoil horror stories were from before SOPUS bought out Pennzoil-Quaker State. Anyways, check out the UOA section. It's very extensive on this site

Okay, after digging through years worth of UAO's I have come to the following conclusion.

PP has good reports as does Valvoline Synpower, Castrol GTX, M1, etc. These analysis are sporadic even in repeated tests of the same car. From what I see UAO's appear to be a useless waste of money for comparing oil performance and do nothing to prove PP is superior to any other oil.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

PYB- was always a great product. Probably one of the top two brands of oil in most crankcases through the 70's. Sludge rep has already be explained.

PP- for the longest time it was so close to the price of conventional ..there really wasn't any reason not to use it.

I don't think it was ever called "better" than M1 (there are a few flavors). It was determined to be a better value in a synthetic for those who chose synthetics for their particular OCI.

PP is $0.50 cheaper for 5 quarts where I live. But how can Ultra be considered a better value when it costs more than M1EP?

Okay, after digging through years worth of UAO's I have come to the following conclusion.

PP has good reports as does Valvoline Synpower, Castrol GTX, M1, etc. These analysis are sporadic even in repeated tests of the same car. From what I see UAO's appear to be a useless waste of money for comparing oil performance and do nothing to prove PP is superior to any other oil.

When reading these reports, did you factor in OCIs? PP is supposed to be able to go longer than other shelf brand synthetics and still have good numbers. Comparing a Valvoline Syntec run 5k miles with PP run 5k miles will not show you very many differences. Compare 10k mile runs and you will see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back