UA flight #328 loses engine over Broomfield CO.

I don't think the F/A-18 crash is really germane to this situation with the 777...they are very different situations with very different airplanes. You can't reasonably draw any parallels, or conclusions, by comparing the two.

Here's why:

The Hornet in question had a history, of over 140 flights, with a known problem with the left engine.

When the pilot shut down the right engine for low oil pressure (which was the proper thing to do), the left engine he had available wasn't reliable. It was known to be unreliable when he launched. The USMC has since changed its maintenance procedures on unreliable engines.

F/A-18s are not 777s. They have two engines, but the mean time between failures is far, far shorter for the GE F404 than it is for the P&W 4077. Fighter engines fail at a rate that is far higher than airliner engines. In the neighborhood of a hundred times higher.

So, with an engine failure in a fighter, it's land at the nearest airport. With an airliner, particularly ETOPS, it's land at the nearest suitable.

Big, big difference in those two sets of words.

The crew on UA 328 did, in fact, land at the nearest airport, the didn't overfly DIA for say, COS, but they took the time to run the checklist before landing and stayed close to the airport to be able to land ASAP when all the considerations were taken into account. The arcing path near the airport was, actually, a very helpful move by ATC. It allowed them to stay close and then head in when ready, no delay.

If you're trying to say that UA 328 should have landed sooner, I say, absolutely not. Rushing the landing leads to mistakes. Mistakes lead to crashes. You have time in a 777. Rushing has led to many fatal crashes. I linked a couple above.

UA 328 landed safely, no injuries. That's important.

The F/A-18 was already below landing weight, he was coming off the boat, and was already going to make a half flap, arrested landing. That's SOP for a single engine Hornet. No need to calculate weight, approach speed, or runway required. The airports in question, NAS North Island and MCAS Miramar, were analyzed, known quantities. The Hornet had no crew, or passengers, to consider and no actions to coordinate with them.

However, UA 328 was on its way to HNL, and was heavy. So, those critical steps I listed above needed to be accomplished in the case of the 777. They landed as soon as it was safe to do so. Safe and instantly are not the same thing. You don't just dive at the nearest runway, like 07, that ATC offers. What if UA 328's crew had done that? And then run off the end of the runway because the tailwind, or approach speed, flap setting, brake setting, or other consideration, put the landing performance out of limits for that runway? The crew would be faulted for crashing and killing/injuring people.

Better to remain calm, analyze, decide and then act.

Analysis, by the way, takes input and perspective from the ground, like dispatcher, or ATC. But the Pilot in Command makes the decision.

Pilot in Command. Not Joe the FO, and certainly, not the USMC Duty Officer. A duty officer who is trying to get the jet back to the base to enable another sortie to be flown by the student pilot. The pressure of military rank and orders forced that young USMC pilot into a bad situation. He had chosen correctly: North Island. But a duty officer, not in the cockpit, not able to see what was actually happening in the F/A-18, made a bad call based on incomplete, perhaps faulty, information and perspective.

The crew of UA 328 handled this correctly. They did a great job, period.

"Captain" Joe is wearing three stripes...his self-promoting website is annoying. I couldn't watch the video with his voice...ugh...though I didn't see anything objectionable. Juan Brown (blancolirio) usually does a good job with analysis, I would steer folks towards his youtube channel.

Pretty clear that "Captain" Joe was a commuter captain, and is now a major FO, from the uniform. He's young, self-promoting, and annoying. Not the most credible source, in my estimation. I don't know his background, or training, so why should I listen to him?

If an intern, who hadn't yet graduated medical school, listed himself as "Doctor" Joe, would you listen?

Can you explain further why we can’t trust what commuter pilots or FOs say?

I watched the whole video. Considering his channel is targeted to the non-pilot, general public, he did a great job explaining the situation. But I’m just a former commuter CA turned Major FO, so what do I know? 😂

And what’s kinda funny is at 39 years old, I have more time as an airline Captain as most of the Captains I fly with at the majors. They were often hired in the late 1990s, stuck in the right seat at the majors (due to 9/11, 2008 economy and “Age 65”) until things started moving again around 2015/2016. I was a Regional Captain for the vast majority of my 17 year airline career.

But CA vs. FO or Commuter vs. Major doesn’t even matter. It’s practically the exact same job no matter what seat you’re in or what’s painted on the side of the plane.

Last edited:
If you're trying to say that UA 328 should have landed sooner, I say, absolutely not. Rushing the landing leads to mistakes. Mistakes lead to crashes. You have time in a 777. Rushing has led to many fatal crashes. I linked a couple above.

No. I understood that they were on one good engine and went through the checklist.

I did remember all the second guessing about the choice to continue and the direct orders coming from the ground. It's been a while so I forgot about trying to restart the engine.

There's a photo of the damage to fuselage and wing.

plane-damage-1.jpg

"Captain" Joe is wearing three stripes...his self-promoting website is annoying. I couldn't watch the video with his voice...ugh...though I didn't see anything objectionable. Juan Brown (blancolirio) usually does a good job with analysis, I would steer folks towards his youtube channel.

Pretty clear that "Captain" Joe was a commuter captain, and is now a major FO, from the uniform. He's young, self-promoting, and annoying. Not the most credible source, in my estimation. I don't know his background, or training, so why should I listen to him?

If an intern, who hadn't yet graduated medical school, listed himself as "Doctor" Joe, would you listen?
I wasn't focused on the guy, just the message which seemed logical and what the pilots did with the UA flight #328 scenario. Don't panic, fully assess the situation, stay flying as safe as possible, complete all checklists while formulating a plan to land safely. Not following that basic logic is how some of these scenarios may turn tragic.

The crew of UA 328 handled this correctly. They did a great job, period.
I agree... their P&W tossed blade and went into Elvis mode (a whole lot of shaking going on) and they performed brilliantly and got the whole mess back on the ground with 0.0 loss of life... We should nominate them for the Sully award...

I agree... their P&W tossed blade and went into Elvis mode (a whole lot of shaking going on) and they performed brilliantly and got the whole mess back on the ground with 0.0 loss of life... We should nominate them for the Sully award...

I don't know if I'd go that far. Sullenberger had to improvise and got chewed out for it.

LOL @ Elvis mode. :ROFLMAO:

Can you explain further why we can’t trust what commuter pilots or FOs say?

I watched the whole video. Considering his channel is targeted to the non-pilot, general public, he did a great job explaining the situation. But I’m just a former commuter CA turned Major FO, so what do I know? 😂

And what’s kinda funny is at 39 years old, I have more time as an airline Captain as most of the Captains I fly with at the majors. They were often hired in the late 1990s, stuck in the right seat at the majors (due to 9/11, 2008 economy and “Age 65”) until things started moving again around 2015/2016. I was a Regional Captain for the vast majority of my 17 year airline career.

But CA vs. FO or Commuter vs. Major doesn’t even matter. It’s practically the exact same job no matter what seat you’re in or what’s painted on the side of the plane.

Honestly, at 39, you’re still pretty young for a pilot at a major.

May be the same job, but if you’re not a Captain, you’re not a Captain.

It’s like the old saying in the Navy, “what do you call a Captain-select?”

“Commander”

It’s an integrity thing: If you represent yourself (Captain Joe) as something you are not (Captain) then, you’ve already lost credibility with me.

If you throw an irritating voice on top of it, like his, I am not watching.

Sorry.

Blancolirio, Juan Brown, is in his fifties, never once has he called himself anything other than what he is: pilot for a major. That keeps credibility and I’m willing to listen.

“Commander”

It’s an integrity thing: If you represent yourself (Captain Joe) as something you are not (Captain) then, you’ve already lost credibility with me.

Sorry.

Blancolirio, Juan Brown, is in his fifties, never once has he called himself anything other than what he is: pilot for a major. That keeps credibility and I’m willing to listen.

I guess it would be kind of complicated if he's promoted to Captain and has change his handle. I mean - what would have happened to Captain America if he'd gotten a promotion to Major?

He might be a poser, but I saw that vid and referencing the real checklist made it simple enough for me to understand. The guy's accent is kind of weird too, but it sounds like he's spent a lot of time in the US.

What do you think of former pilots who talk to the press a lot? I was looking up the history of "Steve Diamond" and his name came up a lot. Would talk about a lot of stuff including when there was an apparent murder-suicide with two naval aviators and when a USN helicopter did a stunt taking a dip in Lake Tahoe. I also found it odd that he just happened to be in the area when the F/A-18 went down in University City.

Last edited:

“Commander”

Sorry.

What else he is then misrepresenting?

“Captain” Joe isn’t even in the US. He’s a 747 pilot for Cargolux. Based in Luxembourg. Who the hell cares if he has an accent?

I guess it would be kind of complicated if he's promoted to Captain and has change his handle. I mean - what would have happened to Captain American if he'd gotten a promotion to Major?

He might be a poser, but I saw that vid and referencing the real checklist made it simple enough for me to understand. The guy's accent is kind of weird too, but it sounds like he's spent a lot of time in the US.

What do you think of former pilots who talk to the press a lot? I was looking up the history of "Steve Diamond" and his name came up a lot. Would talk about a lot of stuff including when there was an apparent murder-suicide with two naval aviators and when a USN helicopter did a stunt taking a dip in Lake Tahoe. I also found it odd that he just happened to be in the area when the F/A-18 went down in University City.

I watched the video and visited his YT site. He may be knowledgeable about flying but the Captain Joe T shirts and other memorabilia for sale just rubs the wrong way.

Yeah...that’s one of my objections. He’s selling himself. Self promoting. So, I question his motivation.

Again, I’ve been impressed by Juan Brown. No self-promotion. Accurate, thoughtful, commentary.

I flew with an FO in EWR who had been a 777 Captain with Emirates. She had a huge following on Instagram....

Put me down also as a person who has character issues with Captain Joe considering he isn't a Captain. He is a first officer.

That said, I am NOT saying he isn't ( every bit ) qualified to opine or share his facts with his followers on YOUTUBE.

E365, I hear what your saying and I agree that many F/O's today ( particularly in North America ) have lots of experience.

I agree with Astro, "Captain Joe" and his self-promotion is annoying.

The United pilots did a great job!

Back