Typical Amsoil OE OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, searched this topic but couldn't find a good thread about it.

For those of you using Amsoil OE (I'm using 5w-30 in my 05 Acura TSX), how long are you guys leaving the oil in there? Amsoil says it's a replacement for recommended OEM oil changes (which is 5k in my case) but Id imagine Amsoil OE can be left in there longer with no harm?

I typically change my oil every 6 months, which is usually around 5-6k miles for me. I've been driving a lot lately and 3-4 months in, I'm at 5k miles already so I'm just a tiny bit concerned.

And sorry if I posted in the wrong section, first time poster :3

Yes Amsoil recommends OEM intervals on that oil.. I'm sure it can go a lil further.. If you feel you can't wait, go ahead and change it.. If ya can't get the oil soon enough go with Pennzoil Ultra, real good quality stuff..

I Love Amsoil products, but Ultra is a close 2nd

Amsoil oe can go longer however if you want to go 6k or more step up to amsoil xl which has capability of up to 10k.....and only about $1.25 per quart more. My car intervals is factory at 5k but I do once a year or 7.5k on amsoil so it would be fine to use the oe.....if you doubt it go with xl

The owners manual in your TSX really recommends 5000 mile oil changes? Is that the severe service recommendation? That's the shortest I've heard from Honda in 20 years.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Yes Amsoil recommends OEM intervals on that oil.. I'm sure it can go a lil further.. If you feel you can't wait, go ahead and change it.. If ya can't get the oil soon enough go with Pennzoil Ultra, real good quality stuff..

I wasn't sure if I could wait longer. I'm sure I can go longer on my current oil, but I wanted wanted others' input on it. I heard good things about Pennzoil as well.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
Amsoil oe can go longer however if you want to go 6k or more step up to amsoil xl which has capability of up to 10k.....and only about $1.25 per quart more. My car intervals is factory at 5k but I do once a year or 7.5k on amsoil so it would be fine to use the oe.....if you doubt it go with xl

I would go with the XL, but my local dealer sells that at $10+/quart, even with preferred customer status :[ and the website says $10 as well

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The owners manual in your TSX really recommends 5000 mile oil changes? Is that the severe service recommendation? That's the shortest I've heard from Honda in 20 years.

5000 severe, 10000 normal I believe. And change oil filter every 10000 regardless of oil change, which I thought was strange

Originally Posted By: Jefftran

I wasn't sure if I could wait longer. I'm sure I can go longer on my current oil, but I wanted wanted others' input on it. I heard good things about Pennzoil as well.

I would go with the XL, but my local dealer sells that at $10+/quart, even with preferred customer status :[ and the website says $10 as well

Originally Posted By: bepperb

5000 severe, 10000 normal I believe. And change oil filter every 10000 regardless of oil change, which I thought was strange

Woah woah woah.. That's incorrect price for XL.. SS is in that range.. An what website are you going to? That's not correct and is certainly not Amsoil's pricing

Last edited:
Oh Im sorry I was thinking of Signature Series
crazy.gif
I used that before but figured that since I'd change my oil every 6 months regardless of mileage, I'd use OE instead. I guess I'll make the switch to XL my next oil change
banana2.gif

5K on OE 5W-30 for me due to OLM. The XL looks nearly the same except more TBN but for 5-6K the OE should be fine. 5-6K isn't really that long for nearly any oil and I don't see why the slightly higher TBN of XL would be needed.

Last edited:

Amsoil OE should then be run for 10k miles according to the owner's manual unless your driving fits into the severe schedule.

Amsoil oe can go longer however if you want to go 6k or more step up to amsoil xl which has capability of up to 10k...

Hilarious, claiming OE is only good up to 6k miles. Most cars have at least 7500 mile OCIs these days with many much, much longer than that if doing plenty of highway miles with an OLM.

Originally Posted By: Amsoil
In gasoline-fueled vehicles, AMSOIL OE Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for the intervals stated by the vehicle manufacturer or indicated by the oil life monitoring system. Change oil filter at every oil change.

I never said the oe wasn't capable for longer intervals. I have many users running it up to 10k. I was merely referring to the user feeling better about what oil he wants to use.

For intervals less than 10k the xl would be a GREAT choice

I never said the oe wasn't capable for longer intervals. I have many users running it up to 10k. I was merely referring to the user feeling better about what oil he wants to use.

I think XL would be better for me for that piece of mind factor, although I have read reviews saying XL wasnt that much different from OE besides more of one thing, which was TBN I believe. XL will probably my next oil change, unless OE is the best for my needs (change every 6 months, usually around 5-6k miles , 8k max)

Originally Posted By: cfromc
5K on OE 5W-30 for me due to OLM. The XL looks nearly the same except more TBN but for 5-6K the OE should be fine. 5-6K isn't really that long for nearly any oil and I don't see why the slightly higher TBN of XL would be needed.

I agree, I have seen Honda Genuine Oil get great oil analysis at 12k miles. I'm assuming Amsoil will be similar, if not better

Originally Posted By: scurvy

Amsoil OE should then be run for 10k miles according to the owner's manual unless your driving fits into the severe schedule.

Amsoil oe can go longer however if you want to go 6k or more step up to amsoil xl which has capability of up to 10k...

Hilarious, claiming OE is only good up to 6k miles. Most cars have at least 7500 mile OCIs these days with many much, much longer than that if doing plenty of highway miles with an OLM.

Originally Posted By: Amsoil
In gasoline-fueled vehicles, AMSOIL OE Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for the intervals stated by the vehicle manufacturer or indicated by the oil life monitoring system. Change oil filter at every oil change.

I do mostly city driving. I think even with severe conditions, Amsoil OE should be good for more than 5000 miles? I was just a bit confused about what Amsoils claims are

Amsoil makes the oe oil to play it safe with the car manufacturers especially since it is API certified. The oil can't void any warranties when used according to car manufacturers recommendations.
The XL is only different by having a higher TBN. The xl is made for 10k intervals not saying it can't go farther too.
At a point in your business you have to market your products for a certain market or criteria thus the reason amsoil has 3 tiers of oils.
Both the xl and signature is designed for extended drains. Amsoil has the OE line strictly designed for what your car manufacturer recommends whether it's 3500 or 10k.

Amsoil makes the oe oil to play it safe with the car manufacturers especially since it is API certified. The oil can't void any warranties when used according to car manufacturers recommendations.
The XL is only different by having a higher TBN. The xl is made for 10k intervals not saying it can't go farther too.
At a point in your business you have to market your products for a certain market or criteria thus the reason amsoil has 3 tiers of oils.
Both the xl and signature is designed for extended drains. Amsoil has the OE line strictly designed for what your car manufacturer recommends whether it's 3500 or 10k.

Car manufacturer can not void warranty if owner goes on longer OCI. Unless that's the cause of the warranty failure.. Even so Amsoil has a warranty department for this.. And if a dealership tells you this or similar issue get it in writing, send it to Amsoil and they will correct the dealership..

XL is also API certified.. The only reason SS isn't is they only use one source at a time as a base stock and when your certified with that one, if they were to be short or run low they would need to change supplier, thus getting certified again,to much cost..

Car manufacturer can not void warranty if owner goes on longer OCI. Unless that's the cause of the warranty failure.. Even so Amsoil has a warranty department for this.. And if a dealership tells you this or similar issue get it in writing, send it to Amsoil and they will correct the dealership..

When I was an apprentice, Toyota would still honor warranty claims (with a bit of a fight) regardless of the service history. They were more concerned with their reputation of reliability. And to be fair, slugged up motors were never really a problem. Today's engines maybe a different story.

Last edited:

But realistically, Amsoil OE can go longer than an OE recommended OCI? I couldn't find many oil analysis on this particular oil but judging from the replies on this thread and Amsoil's good rep, I should be good for beyond 8k+ miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back