2010 V6 TSX, Redline??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, CAFE vs. Protection.

I don't give a rat's a%% about CAFE stds. I would sacrifice 1-2 mpg if it meant using an oil that will mean the difference between a 200k engine and a 300k or even a 400k engine..........

But, the auto mfrs DO care about CAFE stds[big fine$], and would rather see me buying a new vehicle sooner rather than later.

All this saber rattling about everyone's concern for mother gaia and the planet is road apples. Which do you think does more harm to the environment - buying a new car every 4-6 years, or driving the same one for 20+ years?

The first car I bought was a 1985 Z28 305 4Bbl 5Spd. I sold it with 276k miles on engine[never been apart] in 2007 only cuz I needed a kid hauler.

I just parked my perfectly running 1990 Astro AWD due to a cracked subframe, 256k miles[engine still virgin]. Replaced it with a low mileage 2006 Colorado, and I plan on driving that until the wheels fall off.

Believe it or not, I am helping the environment more by driving cars for a loooooong time over buying the lateset gas sipper every 4-6 years.

So I want my oil to protect the engine first and formeost. MPG is secondary.

Again, they did a study: it harms the sacred environment
crazy.gif
MORE to build a Prius than it does to build a Hummer H2 and drive it for 10 years......

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Protection vs CAFE....

I'm not sure it's quite that simple.

The EPA requires the manufacturers to do everything in their power to ensure that the lubricant used by owners is the same lubricant used during the initial fuel economy certification. They do this buy specifying that particular grade in the owner's manual. I think this is one reason why you don't commonly see oil viscosity grade ranges anymore (like 5W-30 for under 50*F, 10W-30 for above 50*F, etc). I also think this is why you see lighter grades being specified in the United States than in other parts of the world. It's not necessarily that they don't protect as well (especially for the slower speeds being driven in the US), but that the lighter grade is the lubricant used during fuel economy certification, so they're compelled by law to recommend the use of that lubricant in the owner's manual.

Last edited:
The only reason I pointed out the 40-weights being spec'd for Hondas elsewhere was as proof that the thicker oils are fine in these motors.

Originally Posted By: bigbull2984
I know I read a article awhile back stating that the euro countries have a stricter requirements on oils, so can a 10w40 oil last longer than a 5w20 given the same engine?

I don't think it's as simple as that. While Europeans often specify heavier oils, they also tend to use their own proprietary specifications which call for an oil to be able to last for a longer interval. That tends to be done by using a synthetic, not just simply a thicker oil. If a Benz specifies some specification that, say, M1 0w-40 meets, and calls for a 15,000 mile OCI, that doesn't mean one could choose 20w-50 conventional and run it longer than that.

From a technical standpoint you are 100% correct. The group III+ and the GTL basestocks are very close to group IV.
I would have received all of the Amsoil changes much better if they stated we were beat by Castrol and had to reformulate to remain competitive. Mobil did the same thing much sooner than Amsoil. I do not like having to commit to SSO to get mostly group IV.
Amsoil and Mobil beat the punk out of Castrol Syntec for being a hydrocracked group III. Now they are no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back