Two knuckleheads who can’t merge crash instead

Truck had domain and control of it's lane. Car should have yielded. But, it's not worth it.
There is no excuse for the pickup to speed up just to cut her off. I can't stand the people who come up next to me and expect me to move so they can merge, but that was not the case here.

NV and UT handbooks both say you have to let someone in when they merge on freeway/express. She didn’t signal but he saw her. I would have pulled to the right to avoid this.
Really? This is common urban legend many places..Every where else the car entering the lane of traffic MUST yield.
And if your lane of road ENDS? YOU must signal and yield to vehicles in the continuing lane…they don’t have to let you in.

EDIT: Urban Legend it is: Right from the Nevada Drivers hand book…page 36….you DO NOT have to let them in..they MUST yield to freeway traffic:
“• When entering a freeway, yield the right-of-way to traffic on the freeway. You may enter only when it is safe to do so.”

Last edited:
Truck was a jerk wad for speeding up when she was alongside, but-this is why you take up the entire lane when the white dashes disappear, denoting the end of the merge lane. Otherwise idiots think they can just pass on the right! Better to make them pull their stunts on the shoulder, maybe they can run over a few gators or rusted off mufflers. Pounding on his window was a genius move too, that’s a good way to get yourself shot. Common courtesy is getting less & less common…

Really? This is common urban legend many places..Every where else the car entering the lane of traffic MUST yield.
And if your lane of road ENDS? YOU must signal and yield to vehicles in the continuing lane…they don’t have to let you in.
Cars on a freeway are doing 75 or so. Do you have a chance unless you are let in?

Cars on a freeway are doing 75 or so. Do you have a chance unless you are let in?
There is an on ramp..an acceleration zone. You stop there don’t you?
did you see page 36 of the NV DRIVERS handbook?
• When entering a freeway, yield the right-of-way to traffic on the freeway. You may enter only when it is safe to do so.

There is an on ramp..an acceleration zone. You stop there don’t you?
did you see page 36 of the NV DRIVERS handbook?
• When entering a freeway, yield the right-of-way to traffic on the freeway. You may enter only when it is safe to do so.
You appear to be correct. It is not what I recall over 50 years ago.

EDIT: Urban Legend it is: Right from the Nevada Drivers hand book…page 36….you DO NOT have to let them in..they MUST yield to freeway traffic:
“• When entering a freeway, yield the right-of-way to traffic on the freeway. You may enter only when it is safe to do so.”
Correct. It’s always the responsibility of the driver attempting to enter the highway, to merge safely.

However, a courteous, conscientious driver (who’s not a jerk) will do his part to let someone in.

Too bad, we don't see a few seconds or so before....

Maybe the Tacoma driver let the Ford Fusion in, and the Accord driver got greedy and wanted ahead also, ie improper zipper merge. (happens a lot)

Causality is the car failed to yield. Doesn't matter what the driver of the truck is or isn't. Being a jerk isn't against the law. Failing to yield and causing a traffic crash is.

Causality is the car failed to yield. Doesn't matter what the driver of the truck is or isn't. Being a jerk isn't against the law. Failing to yield and causing a traffic crash is.
^^This. And making an illegal lane change (aka not using your turning signals) automatically puts you at fault.

When you look at the legalities the truck driver was within the law. Many times I see mergers who aren't using a turning signal stay in the shoulder, stop, and either make a phone call or look at their gps devices. I've many times almost come to a stop thinking a merger wanted in but instead they stay in the shoulder. From the video, they honestly were both being aholes. But the law would favor the truck. Me, I never have a pernt to prove, and trying to prove a pernt isn't worth wrecking your car.

The way that creature got out and behaved like a wild animal could've legally got her shot and killed here in Texas. The Texas Castle Doctrine extends to your vehicle.

Now if that were me, I always try to be as courteous as possible. I know how hard it is sometimes to get within the traffic flow, and I would've just flashed my lights and waved her in, giving her time to get in front of me. I use the zipper effect. One in front, one behind.

Back