Turbo GDI oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to get some feedback on the new SN plus oil and what is best to use.

After reading for hours about the new SN plus and how it benefits LSPI for TGDI engines, I have more questions.

My two vehicles are a Lexus NX (turbo): direct and port injection. And a Toyota Tundra (port injection only).

So naturally I've been using TGMO synthetic 0w20.

Question 1: I read that The new tgmo sn plus may not have timing chain wear protection? Is this true and if so is there another oil you recommend for the Lexus that would cover the LSPI and the timing chain.

Question 2: now the port injection tundra is getting the new oil. I feel the TGMO SN was better for it than the SN plus if infact there is not timing chain protection additives. Should I try something else? And if so what oils would have the timing chain additives.

Up until I started reading about LSPI and SN+ I always thought TGMO was the best choice for me. I'm starting to wonder now!?

GM Dexos 1, Gen 2 addresses BOTH timing chain wear and LSPI - look for that approval. I'll leave the brand up to you. Fwiw, mid next year any GF6 approved oil will also address timing chain wear AND lspi.

Last edited:
TGMO has shown to have a generous amount of molybdenum which is an additive which helps to limit LPSI if a Sodium or Calcium only detergent package is used.

As for timing chain wear I would have at least a little faith in Toyota and their recommendation.

Buy any name-brand full synthetic SN Plus with Dexos 1 Gen 2.
Personally-speaking, I leave dealer brand names and leave house brand names, for someone else to buy.

Last edited:
Has anyone done a VOA to test the new TGMO SN+ to see if it has additives to help timing chain wear?

So far I see PUP no longer has the d1g2 cert. but Mobil 1 EP does.

Originally Posted by Davvver
I would like to get some feedback on the new SN plus oil and what is best to use.

After reading for hours about the new SN plus and how it benefits LSPI for TGDI engines, I have more questions.

My two vehicles are a Lexus NX (turbo): direct and port injection. And a Toyota Tundra (port injection only).

Question 1: I read that The new tgmo sn plus may not have timing chain wear protection? Is this true and if so is there another oil you recommend for the Lexus that would cover the LSPI and the timing chain.

Question 2: now the port injection tundra is getting the new oil. I feel the TGMO SN was better for it than the SN plus if infact there is not timing chain protection additives. Should I try something else? And if so what oils would have the timing chain additives.

Up until I started reading about LSPI and SN+ I always thought TGMO was the best choice for me. I'm starting to wonder now!?

Lexus uses 2.0T, those engines should not have LSPI. If they do, that is some serious malpractice considering displacement.

Has anyone done a VOA to test the new TGMO SN+ to see if it has additives to help timing chain wear?

So far I see PUP no longer has the d1g2 cert. but Mobil 1 EP does.

motul 8100 eco lite 5w30 is a d1g2 as well.

There is no best oil. If it meets SN+ and d1G2 then it's good to go. Pick your favorite brand and run with no worries.

Why?...Me personally, I'd believe the certs and approvals (like D1G2) that shows the lube was subjected to timing chain wear tests rather than speculation about additives. Pick a brand in the grade you need and buy the one with the cert.. and call it good.

Originally Posted by PimTac
There is no best oil. If it meets SN+ and d1G2 then it's good to go. Pick your favorite brand and run with no worries.

So gooder and goodest, have been discontinued?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Gooder and goodest are not English language words.

I'm not English - I'm mostly French, with a little bit German and Canuck. So gooder and goodest are part of the Mongrel language.
Everybody Mongrel knows D1/G2 has either a scale or a ladder-system. A pure bred named Mobil1 taught me this.

Last edited:

I'm not English - I'm mostly French, with a little bit German and Canuck. So gooder and goodest are part of the Mongrel language.

I live in a part of WA that has a lot mullets and lifted trucks, you'd be surprised how many non word words I hear on any given day....‚

Yes but that doesn't make it proper.

No, no it doesn't. I can actually deal with it.. what I struggle with is the lingo of my 2 early teenagers. They use all these social media platforms that have their own language it seems..and they have the gall to look at me funny when I say something like, "what a drag".....‚

Yes but that doesn't make it proper.

Propers have their own Oil Religion 101, back when Bissell & Drake invented it's use in the 1850s

Well I don't go back that far but I did my share of inserting metal oil spouts into metal quart cans of oil in my younger years. Mostly Texaco Havoline.

Well I don't go back that far but I did my share of inserting metal oil spouts into metal quart cans of oil in my younger years. Mostly Texaco Havoline.

Brings back memories.....ever have the spout pierce the side of the can because you weren't really paying close attention when putting it through the top? That sucked.

Then there were the cardboard cans.....even worse than the metal cans.

[/quote]
Originally Posted by edyvw

Lexus uses 2.0T, those engines should not have LSPI. If they do, that is some serious malpractice considering displacement.

So I'm not sure why it wouldn't because it is a TGDI. Is that because LSPI is primarily noticed in smaller engines? I guess 2.0 isn't that small anymore? I just assumed it is since I'm use to driving v6 and v8 engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back