LL17FE+, LL14FE, API SN Plus, API SP

Based on the above, can we deduct that API SN plus oil may not give wear protection as good as API SP or LL14FE oil? Except perhaps certain oil that may also straightaway pass newer standard without major reformulation?
Just undecided whether to use API SP on GDI engine with timing chain will be the best option or any good LL14FE also good provided ot does not cause LSPI?

Here is situation where the Lubrizol relative performance tool does a good job comparing SN+ to SP.

Remember, Lubrizol expressly states the tool is not designed to compare performance across standards, i.e. API vs BMW LLxx etc...

Screenshot_20201208-085206.png

Last edited:
API SN Plus and API SP have the same wear control performance regarding valve train wear. The only thing that API SP oils have over previous API specs is the timing chain wear. Previous API specs were not tested for this.

Attachments

• 25EFE9A0-45EA-4FDC-8967-2C0A6D67DBFD.png
    25EFE9A0-45EA-4FDC-8967-2C0A6D67DBFD.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 63
Thank you stower17 and Imp4, so conclusively just by standard alone API SP is the preferred oil for GDI engine with timing chain. however something i am curious is; LL14FE+ full saps was introduced with high fuel economy that I believe came from additional FM and AW. I am just wondering how relevant is that compared with API SP, because my understanding when LL14FE changed to LL17FE mostly due to reduced SAPS that align to ACEA C5.

So just wonder for GDi if API SP oil (Mobil 1 EP) is better than German Fuchs Titan GT 1 Evo?

Back