Trying to decide on an oil for new Subaru Forester

Originally Posted by BLND1

REGULAR and TIMELY maintenance with a high quality name brand oil and filter that meets spec is going to be more important that almost any other metric

THIS ^^^ . Buy a brand name oil and filter, and keep it fresh. Your engine will live a happy life.

Don't over think it. There is no BEST oil. Keep the change intervals reasonably short, given the direct injection / fuel dilution possibility. And enjoy the new ride.

How I stopped worrying and learned to love BITOG.

So I decided to just get the M1 Extended Performance that I was originally planning on using. However, I screwed up at WM and grabbed M1 Extended Performance High Mileage. I knew I saw the EP for two dollars cheaper on their website. I even asked at the checkout to check the price on the website. They showed me the $28.86 or whatever it was priced at. Somehow the big "75,000 miles" and "High Mileage" didn't jump out at me. All the worry and research, just to buy the wrong oil. Fortunately, at this point I don't care, I'm using it. All of your input has convinced me that it will be just fine. Thanks!

Originally Posted by SkodaPANDA
Im running OE Subaru Filters and Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 in my 2018 WRX

Is there a specific reasoning behind the ESP? Are all WRX's turbo charged?

Originally Posted by qball16

I also run Mobil ESP, Rotella 5w-30 MV and Pennzoil Euro in my '15 Forester XT (similar engine to the WRX).

Reason is simple GF5 oils simply does not stay in grade in those TGDI. Also had less wear metals in my UOAs using non-GF5 oils.

Euro oils tend to aim for better protection instead of better fuel economy. Europe does not have CAFE afaik.

Edit: yes, all WRX are turbocharged.

Last edited:
Oil is oil..don't over think it. Don't worry about the bypass setting on the filter. Fram has speced that filter for Subaru for decades. If it would be a problem do you think they would still spec it?

Oh yea ..I have been using the 14psi filters on 3 subarus since 2008. Never any leakage on my Frams.

I use the best filter Fram Ultra..20 micron filtering at 99%

Last edited:
Yes, I'm using the Fram Ultra on my Pilot. Funny thing is, if I wasn't concerned about the bypass PSI, I could use the SAME filter in the Subaru and Honda. But I have yet to find conclusive evidence that the bypass spec doesn't matter. There are passionate debates on both sides. I will, however, find an oil for both cars so I can buy in bulk when it's on sale.

Originally Posted by jbutch

I also run Mobil ESP, Rotella 5w-30 MV and Pennzoil Euro in my '15 Forester XT (similar engine to the WRX).

Reason is simple GF5 oils simply does not stay in grade in those TGDI. Also had less wear metals in my UOAs using non-GF5 oils.

Euro oils tend to aim for better protection instead of better fuel economy. Europe does not have CAFE afaik.

Europeans have a different fuel and higher octane (in general).. That plays into the importance of staying in grade for the entire OCI.
Things are different here, regarding oil and fuel. Plus, you can still get 300K miles, if your 30W turns into a 20W within 5K.

Unless you are overusing your oil, there's absolutely nothing wrong with viscosity thinning. My used oils have been thinning for 50 years and I've never had internal engine work. Did I mention I'm first and last owner of those vehicles, that average 250K and 18 years..... vehicle only dying from Michigan's salty rust.

Last edited:
I've used wix 57055 on my Impreza for a while. They only leak if you don't get them on tight enough. I've had that happen once and even then it was maybe 1/3 of a teaspoon worth of oil after 400 miles of driving. If the filter location was under the car I would have never noticed, it's not a significant amount. I wouldn't be afraid to use them. I've also used fram ultra and didn't notice any problems, I wouldn't hesitate to use one of those either. I use wix now because i can get them for half of the price of a fram ultra. As for oil, i use Magnatec and I have no complaints.

Thanks Gonz. I have a Napa Gold 7055 that I may just try, along with the blue Subaru filters that are being shipped. I'll be sure to screw that Napa/Wix on tight.

Yes, I'm using the Fram Ultra on my Pilot. Funny thing is, if I wasn't concerned about the bypass PSI, I could use the SAME filter in the Subaru and Honda. But I have yet to find conclusive evidence that the bypass spec doesn't matter. There are passionate debates on both sides. I will, however, find an oil for both cars so I can buy in bulk when it's on sale.

I doubt that anyone who cares about their engines/oils/filters would run a filter so long that ANY bypass on ANY filter would open. Change the filter when you change the oil and you don't have to concern yourself with bypass opening pressures.
I realize we folks on this forum tend to run to the anal side of things, but really.....bypass openings??

Any 0w20 will work well, but if there is a brand that will make you sleep or feel better, l would say go for it.

I use the blue OEM filters with cardboard endcaps in my Subaru, but would much prefer the black OEM filters, but they have been discontinued for my application and are difficult to find. I also use supertech 0w20 as l don't think brand matters for a 6k OCI.

It it your vehicle. Use the product that gives you the most confidence and/or the best feel good feeling. An extra few bucks per oil change is not an egregious expense and even though l gravitate towards the low end these days, l respect those who seek the absolute best product for their vehicle.

:

[/quote]

Yes both of mine shelled the cvt at around 90k. Some ridiculous price like 6500$ was quoted so o traded em in. I thought the first was a fluke so I got another subie...the second was traded in another brand

[/quote]

What year do you have?

Originally Posted by jqgz
:

Yes both of mine shelled the cvt at around 90k. Some ridiculous price like 6500$ was quoted so o traded em in. I thought the first was a fluke so I got another subie...the second was traded in another brand

[/quote]

What year do you have?[/quote]

Mine is a 2019 with 4400 miles. First oil change impending. I don't mind the CVT at all, I actually like how it performs. So I have 95,000 miles left to see what happens with it.

Originally Posted by Joe1
Any 0w20 will work well, but if there is a brand that will make you sleep or feel better, l would say go for it.

I use the blue OEM filters with cardboard endcaps in my Subaru, but would much prefer the black OEM filters, but they have been discontinued for my application and are difficult to find. I also use supertech 0w20 as l don't think brand matters for a 6k OCI.

It it your vehicle. Use the product that gives you the most confidence and/or the best feel good feeling. An extra few bucks per oil change is not an egregious expense and even though l gravitate towards the low end these days, l respect those who seek the absolute best product for their vehicle.

I have 4 blue OEM filters and a Napa Gold 7055. I'm sure they are all fine. Planning 5k intervals and analysis on my second OCI. My oil choices on hand are M1 EP HM and regular PP 0w20. I'll probably use the M1 on the Pilot with 130k and the PP on the Forester. Just waiting for a day above 40° to do the change.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by jbutch

Europeans have a different fuel and higher octane (in general).. That plays into the importance of staying in grade for the entire OCI.
Things are different here, regarding oil and fuel. Plus, you can still get 300K miles, if your 30W turns into a 20W within 5K.

Unless you are overusing your oil, there's absolutely nothing wrong with viscosity thinning. My used oils have been thinning for 50 years and I've never had internal engine work. Did I mention I'm first and last owner of those vehicles, that average 250K and 18 years..... vehicle only dying from Michigan's salty rust.

Since 2017, the gasoline is ultra low sulphur in the US as well.

All the UOAs I did were with Shell 93 octane, so it shouldn't affect anything.

I aim for low wear metals, not only for the engine, but mostly for the turbo as they tend to last less longer than the engine.

I am a firm believer that a higher HTHS will help a turbo last longer. A sheared oil will also have a diminished HTHS.

Last edited:

If you know the part number for your black OEM filter, you can find them online at partsouq.com

ULTRA 5w-20 or 5w-30 w/ oil filter combo from A.A.P. ? $43.99 with choice of K&N Premium or CARQUEST Premium oil filter . Could use the rebate from PENNZOIL to lower the cost . Need to buy two 5 quart jugs to get $20 rebate the ends 9/30/23 . Update us on decision and how it works out for the FORESTER .

Last edited:
Back