Trying to cut down on oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1998 Odyssey has just over 150,000 on it. Currently I am adding a qt of oil every 1200 - 1500 miles. I use Amsoil SS 0W-30. If I switch to something like the Amsoil XL 5W-30 would that help? It gets expensive having to add all the oil!

Oh, I change the oil every 10-15k and really like synthetic because of how it flows in the cold weather up here and do not want to go back to regular oil. THanks!

I think the best anyone can say is "maybe" because while different oils have different consumption amounts, it seems a guess as to why. And you won't be increasing viscosity enough for that to make a difference.

Interesting that you want to stick with what "works" when it doesn't seem to be working well and isn't cheap either. Have you considered a high mileage oil?

That kind of consumption may be normal on a car with high miles. I personally wouldn't like, obviously you don't either. I would do just what you mentioned. I would put in the thickest oil that the owner's manual calls for. Probably the 5w30 or maybe even 10w30.

This may not help, but why not give it a try? If cost becomes an issue, you can switch to a cheaper oil. There are other Full Synthetics out there that are much cheaper than Amsoil. Even Mobil 1 is a bit cheaper, Pennzoil Platinum is cheaper yet. Both are excellent oils, right up there with Amsoil.

Does consumption increase toward the end of the OCI?

How many changes have you done with SSO?

My recommendations are if you want to change oils:

A) ACD 10W-30/SAE 30 at $23 gallon
B) DEO 5W-40 at $26 gallon

Thanks for the replys, Pablo do you have a link to info on those oils?

So far I am on my third oil change with the SSO. It is really strange though because on my last oil change at one point I went almost 5000 before needing a qt of oil. My consumption happens mostly at the START of my oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Catterman
Thanks for the replys, Pablo do you have a link to info on those oils?

So far I am on my third oil change with the SSO. It is really strange though because on my last oil change at one point I went almost 5000 before needing a qt of oil. My consumption happens mostly at the START of my oil changes.

DEO 5W-40

ACD 10W-30/SAE 30

At the beginning - now that is odd. It could still be ring land clean up from the previous oils - at the beginning the detergents have the extra ability to clean and carry residues into the combustion chamber, at the end of the OCI, not so much. Have you run a UOA?

Another thing - Have you tuned the car to perfection, all systems in perfect order? I mean, rather - was it recently tuned, but before that, not really other than the random air filter change?

With that oil use, why use a full synthetic?
Your perpetual oil change negates any benefits from full syn.
Use cheaper dino oil.

My honda prelude with h22a4 is known oil consumer :p, I am using Amsoil ASL 5w30 and I too have found more conumption early on rather then after the oil has been banged up. I'm at 12,000 KM's on the oil and I check my oil every couple of days and consumption has been quite slow.

I am trying to finish off my top up quart of oil before switching to PP but its not consuming anything! bah...

I bet if you had performed regular oil changes at much shorter intervals from day one, you would not be experiencing this oil burning problem at all.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
I bet if you had performed regular oil changes at much shorter intervals from day one, you would not be experiencing this oil burning problem at all.

Have you even read the thread, or are you just dropping in an opinion?

its a known oil burner, just about every h22 motor in the world is burning oil. Some a lot more then me, mine is on the low side, the car club I frequent people are using a quart every 500km (310 miles)!

Motor is clean, did the tbelt change last year and it was mint but its consuming oil, especially if you take the motor in to vtec range (above 5200 RPM).

BTW I don't even know if it is burning it because absolutely no blue smoke out of the tail pipe, black yes when in vtec range.

EDIT: SORRY TO THE OP FOR HIJACKING, Similar situation just wanted to voice my findings as well...

Last edited:

I got the van with 125,000 on it.

The van runs really well, I had the same engine in my 95 Accord and that would use 1 qt ever 8000 miles or so. I will check out those other oil Pablo. Thanks everyone.

Catterman: You say it uses oil at the beginning more than the end? I presume you fill to the top line of the dipstick. Try filling only to midway on the dipstick and adding only when it reaches the add marks and only up to the halfway point between add and full. Also, make sure the dipstick or tube hasn't slipped to the wrong position.

The reason for my comment is that many engines will rapidly burn off the top level of oil due to splash, but consumption will taper off at a lower level where there is less splash. The upper half quart isn't all that necessary. I have followed this practice for several of my hi-miles or oil burning vehicles and my apparent oil consumption was reduced significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back