Truck update

A good friend of mine had the frame replaced on his 05 2500 Duramax truck. The shop that did it did a phenomenal job. It tracked straight and tires wore evenly.

Since it wasn’t purchased from him by his insurance it was never ruled a total loss and his truck had a clear title.

A good friend of mine had the frame replaced on his 05 2500 Duramax truck. The shop that did it did a phenomenal job. It tracked straight and tires wore evenly.
This is nowhere even near a frame replacement. It's may not even have frame damage from the photo. I mean, both tow hooks look straight and parallel. Contact Vehcor, he'll make it right.

20230831_112647-jpg.176362

This is nowhere even near a frame replacement. It's may not even have frame damage from the photo. I mean, both tow hooks look straight and parallel. Contact Vehcor, he'll make it right.

20230831_112647-jpg.176362
The frame is bent at the shock tower mount. They will not straighten it. Passenger side tow hook is bent up and out. I have asked for photos of it. I have yet to receive any.

Last edited:
Doubt the insurance company will go for paying out $40K to total it if they think it can be fixed for $25K.
That is not how it works. It is repair cost + diminished value + loss of use + rental + salvage value according to my adjuster.

25,000 + about 6,000, + about 1000, + about 1800 + 13,000 = 46800 which is over market value. I will know on Tuesday. That is the cost to them if it is fixed. Cheaper to write a check for 40,000 to 42,000.

Last edited:
I actually enjoy little road trips like that. If nobody near you will do it can you get the ins to total it?
So do I. Remember I have a 440 HP WS6 with t-tops. I love a road trip. I enjoy them when I am not going to check on a shop with worse reviews then the one I want to use who won't touch it. Look I know how you feel about it, but it won't be the same truck I bought. It is not a fleet truck and while not the best truck on the planet, it was the nicest one I have ever owned, and it was paid for. I want back exactly what I had before the accident. I guarantee there will be some bondo, and trips back for things that are not correct. 2 hours away with someone to follow me to drop it off and pick it up. The body shop wanted to move it as well, but they could not find anybody who wanted to touch it either. They were working with USAA to get it closer. They said you should check on it weekly. So my question is if no one else wants to fix it or mess with. What makes these guys so special? What can I get if totaled? I would be happy with 40,000 to 42,000. I won't tell you what I will actually take so I don't have to mess with it. I have not pestered the shop, only talked to them twice, but they had to delay the estimate as all three parties wanted the truck moved. Now it can't be moved. I am going to stick to my guns as to where I want it repaired. A place I know that has done excellent work for me in the past, however they have already said no.

Yes, USAA sent me the paperwork. The brought it up before I did. It figures into how the figure out value. My deductible is actually lower and it covers all the same things.

I guarantee there will be some bondo, and trips back for things that are not correct. 2 hours away with someone to follow me to drop it off and pick it up. The body shop wanted to move it as well, but they could not find anybody who wanted to touch it either.

There are 2 reasons this small shop wants your truck.

1. Actually to work on it and make a few $K in profit.

or

2. They know it will total but are scheming to start the repair, disassemble the vehicle, let it occupy 2 bays and then charge the insurance company for storage on 2 bays at probably $100 a day each plus the labor on the work to take the vehicle apart. They will take their time to prolong the repairs and inflate their storage bill.

Meanwhile you tell the adjuster what you predict will happen and the massive storage bill and supplements they will pay before the adjuster deems it a total.

As an adjuster I would be weary of a tiny shop like this working on any modern vehicle. Do they even have access to All Data for the collision repair requirements? Do they have the equipment to do pre and post scans of the SRS system? Do they even have a frame machine? Sounds like they would be subletting a lot of work to the dealer with multiple tows back and forth for basic diagnostics and resets a modern shop can do in house.
It's almost like a trap to make more profit on towing, storage, and disassembly than it is to repair. I had a few shops in my territory like this where there was 1 combo body / paint tech and a shop manager. They schemed with tow companies / drivers to steer work their way.

The customer was conned at the scene of the accident to his friends shop. Tow guy gets $200 cash when he drops the car and the bodyshop manager calls / meets with the customer telling them they will handle everything (call in the claim, deal with the adjuster etc)

Shop sits on the vehicle quietly and 30 days later the claim is called in on a vehicle that was obviously totaled. I get assigned, go to the shop, they hand me a $14,000 repair estimate on an $10k car, I tell them its an obvious total and they give me towing and storage charges:

$500 towing
$3750 storage (30x$125)
$125 admin fee
$125 document fee
$150 estimate fee
$500 tear down ($50 x 10hrs)
$200 collision wrap
---------------------------------
$5350 total

You wanna make money in the automotive industry? Open a body shop, never fix a car, and make $200k a year just storing vehicles.

@ls1mike Ask to speak to the adjusters supervisor. If you can't get in touch with them, call the claims department and ask the customer service rep to give you the sups phone number. Call and text them, even email them. Who knows, maybe the adjuster is even in on this for some profit? Say you'll get the department of insurance involved if the going gets tough. DM me if you want.

or

2. They know it will total but are scheming to start the repair, disassemble the vehicle, let it occupy 2 bays and then charge the insurance company for storage on 2 bays at probably $100 a day each plus the labor on the work to take the vehicle apart. They will take their time to prolong the repairs and inflate their storage bill.

Meanwhile you tell the adjuster what you predict will happen and the massive storage bill and supplements they will pay before the adjuster deems it a total.

As an adjuster I would be weary of a tiny shop like this working on any modern vehicle. Do they even have access to All Data for the collision repair requirements? Do they have the equipment to do pre and post scans of the SRS system? Do they even have a frame machine? Sounds like they would be subletting a lot of work to the dealer with multiple tows back and forth for basic diagnostics and resets a modern shop can do in house.
It's almost like a trap to make more profit on towing, storage, and disassembly than it is to repair. I had a few shops in my territory like this where there was 1 combo body / paint tech and a shop manager. They schemed with tow companies / drivers to steer work their way.

The customer was conned at the scene of the accident to his friends shop. Tow guy gets $200 cash when he drops the car and the bodyshop manager calls / meets with the customer telling them they will handle everything (call in the claim, deal with the adjuster etc)

Shop sits on the vehicle quietly and 30 days later the claim is called in on a vehicle that was obviously totaled. I get assigned, go to the shop, they hand me a $14,000 repair estimate on an $10k car, I tell them its an obvious total and they give me towing and storage charges:

$500 towing
$3750 storage (30x$125)
$125 admin fee
$125 document fee
$150 estimate fee
$200 collision wrap
$5350 total

You wanna make money in the automotive industry? Open a body shop, never fix a car, and make $200k a year just storing vehicles.

@ls1mike Ask to speak to the adjusters supervisor. If you can't get in touch with them, call the claims department and ask the customer service rep to give you the sups phone number. Call and text them, even email them. Who knows, maybe the adjuster is even in on this for some profit? Say you'll get the department of insurance involved if the going gets tough. DM me if you want.
I am not sure what equipment they have. I have not seen the shop. I don't know their experience level. I wanted to ask how they are going to preforms the ABS brake bleed procedure. I am sure they will have to send it out.

or

$500 towing
$3750 storage (30x$125)
$125 admin fee
$125 document fee
$150 estimate fee
$200 collision wrap
$5350 total

This scenario is plausible and especially if that shop owner knows you are two hours away.

I think @Owen Lucas may have just stolen the show here. I was thinking something along these lines… that the small shop may still keep finding more and more and then the price goes up and then the insurance bails out - I’ve seen that before. It sounds like the numbers are getting so high that this could happen… and it totally fits what Owen is saying.

i agree - keep doing what you are doing, also knowing when you don’t yet have a hand to play if that’s the position at that moment. If they do fix it, I can think of a couple of things-

day time pickup. Let them go back inside while you look at every panel, every clip, every rubber boot. Turn it down if it’s not right. If it’s a new frame, this will be front to back, bumper to bumper. Have a change of clothes and a drop cloth to crawl on.

find out from Usaa what your options are if they did shoddy work and you don’t realize it until after. Ask if secondary repairs can be done local to you on usaa’s dime, or if it has to go back 2 hours away.

other ideas?

This is why I pretty much have old, crappy, easy to total/walk away from vehicles. You spend a bunch of money on full coverage insurance, some fool hits you, then YOUR insurance company wants to put the screws to you! No thanks, I’ll just take the uninsured motorist property damage payout ($15K max), pick up another beater, do it again. Was looking at a $5500 ‘13 manual Scion xD today, if I can get the used dealer to refinish the bumper covers, it would replace the xB in my sig.

This is why I pretty much have old, crappy, easy to total/walk away from vehicles. You spend a bunch of money on full coverage insurance, some fool hits you, then YOUR insurance company wants to put the screws to you! No thanks, I’ll just take the uninsured motorist property damage payout ($15K max), pick up another beater, do it again. Was looking at a $5500 ‘13 manual Scion xD today, if I can get the used dealer to refinish the bumper covers, it would replace the xB in my sig.
I get it, none of my other cars are pricey and are pretty easy to replace. I buy the nice truck to tow heavy stuff or I would not even have one.

I think @Owen Lucas may have just stolen the show here. I was thinking something along these lines… that the small shop may still keep finding more and more and then the price goes up and then the insurance bails out - I’ve seen that before. It sounds like the numbers are getting so high that this could happen… and it totally fits what Owen is saying.

i agree - keep doing what you are doing, also knowing when you don’t yet have a hand to play if that’s the position at that moment. If they do fix it, I can think of a couple of things-

day time pickup. Let them go back inside while you look at every panel, every clip, every rubber boot. Turn it down if it’s not right. If it’s a new frame, this will be front to back, bumper to bumper. Have a change of clothes and a drop cloth to crawl on.

find out from Usaa what your options are if they did shoddy work and you don’t realize it until after. Ask if secondary repairs can be done local to you on usaa’s dime, or if it has to go back 2 hours away.

other ideas?
Warrantied for life. I don't know my options. When I get their final decision on Tuesdayish, that is when I decide how I want to handle it.

Has anyone ever considered that maybe it’s the exact opposite; maybe this shop knows it can do the work, and wants to prove just how good a job it can do??
At the same time, I agree Mike that if you won’t be comfortable with the results no matter what, push to have the truck written off. It will eat you alive if you don’t.

If the body shop is competent a frame swap can be done correctly. I would agree the insurance company isn't going to pay 40 K if it can be fixed for 25. However- none of us are in a position to judge the body shop competent other than the owner of the truck.Certain dealers swap out frames all the time. I have seen this documented step by step on certain truck boards. The thing is the OP won't be happy with the truck repaired.

Look at that bumper, it took a heck of a hit and a lot of that energy went right into the frame rail.

I work in a body shop as a tech and I feel like that estimate on your truck is way to low. For example I just did a frame swap on a 2022 Ram 1500 and the only body damage was a front bumper. The final bill on that job was $20,000. How can you tell me that your 3/4 ton pick up that needs a frame, front clip, and doors is only at $23,000.

I would agree the insurance company isn't going to pay 40 K if it can be fixed for 25.
The problem is you can never be sure about the extent of damages until the vehicle is disassembled and then like an onion as you peel away damage over time you find more surprises.

In some states the total loss threshold is 75% at which the insurance company can total, but in WA it's a financial total loss threshold. So technically a constructive total loss can be written where you can add damages that are likely to show up.

If I was the adjuster for OP and he stated how he felt about the repairs and would rather have it totaled, I would be able to work the the estimate and constructive calculations towards a total loss.

Replacing a frame is fairly straight forward and in and of itself should not require a frame machine. It's a remove and replace operation it is just bolts....

Owen is on point mostly (different areas and companies may handle slightly differently) though, this is a high potential supplement estimate and parts availability might be a real issue.

Does this shop hold any ASE/I-Car certifications, Manufacturer certifications, have dealer level scan tool capability? Id bet they are using a traveling scan tool service if it's really a tiny shop.

The warranty service will be on the shop and unless they are a DRP for USAA there is no way for USAA to charge them back for workmanship so it is going to have to go back to that shop for workmanship issues, and be on you to deal with most likely, i would get this in writing if they are going to waive it due to distance.

If USAA insist on fixing it i personally would get it moved closer and to a highly rated shop, preferably a highly rated and USAA DRP shop even if i had to pay for the move.

Back