Trasko filter and Scotts TP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I am cutting the T.P. with a serrated steak knife.The cut end is not perfect but is working.Some are using exacto knifes to cut the T.P.also.A fine tooth hacksaw blade would also work.Any better solutions out there?

As mentioned above I use a lathe to cut the length, either the one at work or my wood lathe at home with a 4" razor knife from a box cutter mounted to the tool post. But that's what's easy for me. Looks just like the trasko when I'm done.

I just order a Trasko filter and the elements that came with the unit look like toilet paper. My freind has a trasko and we compared the elements and the ones I got were much thinner and softer than what he got. Also the replacement element that came with my filter was crushed sideways like some one put a roll of tp in a paper cutter. I will contact trasko and see what they say , but if they are cutting down rolls of tp and selling them for $10.00 then thats not to cool. One other thing , do the replacment elements come in wraped in a trasko lable or in a plastic bag , because that is what I recived.
pat.gif

The TP filter comes in a ziplock bag. The filter from what I can see is tightly wound and harder than regular TP.

My Trasco filters came in a plastic bags with a extra set of O rings.But these were purchased over a year ago.That would be funny if they went to regular T.P. There
was a post on trying a electric knife to cut the T.P. roll down.Well I found my wifes best electric knife and without her consent tried to cut my T.P. rolls up.It doesn`t work.The knife won`t even knick the side of the T.P.If it was a turkey I`m sure the results would have been better!

Schultz,Maybe you should start selling your T.P. filters.LOL! Sounds like you found a good system for cutting the rolls.I think I will try my chop saw next since I don`t own a lathe "YET".

Well I guess then the elements are fine, they say on there website not to use tp but the elements I recived seem very much like tp. Who knows, either way I will give it a try.One question, I have about 2k on Schaffer's 5w30 blend in my truck right now, should I change the oil or just install the Trasko and run it a while?

It would be interesting to see a UOA on an engine
running the Trasko with the OE element and the tp
element. Also if the same oil was used it would prevent adding any confusion to the test. I am not against a low cost solution if it doesnt lead to
degradation of the filter. If the valve in the filter was designed for a set pressure drop of the oe element, and a tp element with different flow properties is used , will that change how the filter works? If it does will it be enough to matter?
PS If your are worried about the element being standard tp just check and see if it has sheets
of paper.

Has anyone with high filter miles tried checking
the temp on the bottom of the Trasko housing to see if it changes as the filter fills? I could not feel any change at 6k miles with M1 5-35 on a 3.2 V6. It
looked like most of the testing Trasko did was
dino, the filter might last longer with syn. I am
going to change out the filter and oil soon, and it will be interesting to see the condition of the filter as I had condensation on the last regular
oci.The oil still looks fine.

I install the cut side facing up after cleaning off any paper dust/cuttings ETC.So far I have run 4 rolls of T.P. this way with the screens staying clean.I did notice a couple of shiny flakes on the screen on my last changeout.Not sure what it was but a UOA will be happening.

I just tried cutting a roll of TP to size, and it looks like I didn't do a great job of making a smooth cut. I was able to make it smooth by using a file, but it created quite a bit of paper dust. Sure, I blew it off but there is likely some loose cellulose that could get past the filter.

Did any of you using TP see any dust? Any thoughts on whether I would have a problem using this TP roll with one side filed flat?

quote:

Originally posted by 4.8 Silverado:
I install the cut side facing up after cleaning off any paper dust/cuttings ETC.So far I have run 4 rolls of T.P. this way with the screens staying clean.I did notice a couple of shiny flakes on the screen on my last changeout.Not sure what it was but a UOA will be happening.

Thanks! I feel better knowing this. I'm installing my TP roll tonight.

You guys bought into a good sales pitch and now you are stuck with a messy to change filter where you still need to change your oil unless you change the filter a lot more often than you would with a filter designed to use TP.
Scott has started using some 1 1/2" core TP. This is good news for people that have the old Motor Guards and Frantzes that were designed for 1 1/2" TP. I am installing copper cores that will handle the 1 1/2" core or the more common
1 5/8".
TP doesn't need to be as dense as a pine board to clean oil. A firm roll of most any paper will work fine. The advantage to Scott is it is easy to find. I haven't checked out the 1500 sheet but it is probably a good paper. My company started buying Cottonelle. I don't like it because it is too soft. I have been removing the plastic core from the Motor Guard elements and using them. I accumulated a lot of them before I started selling the Motor Guards with the Motor Guard elements installed. The Motor Guard elements are rated at 1/10th micron the same as a good roll of TP.

Ralph
burnout.gif

The filter changes really aren't that messy at all and the product seems to work as advertised. I can't see them being any less messy with any other TP product. Also I haven't changed my oil. So far I'm satisfied. I think you could do the 10k filter change but why not do the 5k change and keep the oil cleaner and the additives up, especially if your using Scott's TP at a buck a change. My problem was I just happened to buy some individually wrapped scotts that had 1 5/8" cores. I went back to the same store a week later and got the 1 1/2" core TP, just bad luck the first time I guess. If I want cleaner oil longer, I'll use something like the SS housing with a cartrige filter or a hydraulic filter like I put on the transmission, but that's more work to install on a Taurus that has no room. So I'll stick with what I've got.

I`m happy with my Trasco.There isn`t anymore mess involved with this system compared to a standard bypass.You still have to change the T.P. roll on both units at the prescribed interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back