Transit 15k OCI

A 12 Qt oil change and stretching it out that long in miles would freak out some people.
Trying to figure out why double the capacity would increase the OCI. The engine still puts out the same amount of contaminants and those contaminants still flow through the engine. They may be more widely dispersed but so what. Only significant benefit I can imagine would be greater cooling.

Then explain it to me.
I'll keep it brief, but best to read Mola's Q&A sections.

You said it and then dismissed it. And by dismissing it as "so what" it shows you are missing the basics of how motor oil works, both additives and the base oils .

In brief - with 12 qts in 15K miles, more or less the same as 6 qts in 7.5K miles

The additives would deplete at roughly the same rate, the base oil would degrade at the same rate, maybe even lower, because cooler running.

OK but I'm thinking contaminants. The ones that cause varnish and sludge. The oil would still have the same amount were it 6 or 12 quart capacity. Except they would be in the oil for 15,000 miles and be circulating through the engine and causing that varnish and sludge to form.

OK but I'm thinking contaminants. The ones that cause varnish and sludge. The oil would still have the same amount were it 6 or 12 quart capacity. Except they would be in the oil for 15,000 miles and be circulating through the engine and causing that varnish and sludge to form.
The contaminants are still present, but would be at a lower concentration due to the higher oil volume. The oil's detergency should be able to handle those contaminants. Since there is a larger volume of oil, depletion of the detergency reserve should occur at a slower rate.

Also, Ford is probably using a 1-yr cap, so achieving 15K is likely limited to high-mileage drivers (who are less likely to partake in short trips).

OK, what do you think causes contaminants?

Trying to figure out why double the capacity would increase the OCI. The engine still puts out the same amount of contaminants and those contaminants still flow through the engine. They may be more widely dispersed but so what. Only significant benefit I can imagine would be greater cooling.
If contaminant levels are roughly the same having six additional quarts would give you much more detergents to fight acid

Umm...the Ecoboost is the same. From Google:

Does Ford 3.5 EcoBoost have direct injection?

3.5l Ecoboost™ V6

Features include the Ford port-fuel and direct-injection (PFDI) system with two injectors per cylinder — one in the air intake port, another inside the cylinder — to increase performance.
I guess I shouldn't have cropped the slide. It's Ford's verbiage not mine. Like how they call the Godzilla 7.3L a "7.3L DEVCT"

TRANSIT 23.jpg

It's the same way it prints on the window sticker.
pfdi.jpg

Is it PFDi on this and only DI on the ecoboost ?
Ford showing confidence that dilution is under control …

My guess is wanting to make maintenance look cheaper for the consumer. A 12 Qt oil change and stretching it out that long in miles would freak out some people.
If these are commercial vehicles then the downtime cost probably outweights any oil change cost.

If they can halve the downtime that is a big win.

Also, less maintainers for the same size fleet.

Our '21 & '22 Transit PFDI 3.5s have been triggering the OLM at ~9500 miles, so doubling the capacity to get to 15K seems reasonable. As long as the drivers remember to check the oil occasionally-we had another tech hrow a rod on a 2018 3.7 one, and my '18 was an oil junkie from Day One! The '22 3.5 PFDI I have now has broken in nicely, zero consumption in my usual 7500 mile OCI! Now the 10R80 transmission-that's a whole different story...

Back