Toyota will still have the manual in the new Tacoma

I've never been one to want a manual in a truck. I'm sure many will be happy about this though. I drove manuals most of my life with the last 5 years being the exception. I don't really miss it, especially in such a densely populated area that I live in.

Last edited:
I've never been one to want a manual in a truck. I'm sure many will be happy about this though. I drove manuals most of my life with the last 5 years being the exception. I don't really miss it, especially in such a densely populated are that I live in.
I agree. I learned driving in a manual car...had a manual car when I live in California which was great on Hwy 1 or out in the open roads of central and eastern California. But driving in the Bay Area...especially in cities like SF...it sucked. You end up with 'clutch-titus' in the left leg.

I would pick a manual over an auto for a daily, or fun car any day of the week...but I would pick an auto every single time for a truck application. Pulling boats out of the water, towing heavy loads, towing wide loads...all things that require extra attention where I could just let the auto do the thinking, and concentrate on other things. I wouldn't purchase a manual truck...but I wish there was a manual option for every "car" on the road.

Good for toyota to stick with a stick for a while longer, I think there's a market here for this size of KISS truck and certainly globally.
Manual with 4wd and low range is nice to use, and unless you are rock crawling, you never need to abuse the clutch. I liked it for running logging roads as well, you had instant throttle response and engine braking, and you always had the right gear.

I've never been one to want a manual in a truck. I'm sure many will be happy about this though. I drove manuals most of my life with the last 5 years being the exception. I don't really miss it, especially in such a densely populated area that I live in.
There was a manual trans in all but one of my trucks. I'm now in the automatic camp. Nonetheless, I'm pleased that Toyota is keeping the stick option. Manuals are great to use and can be good fun.

I think it is a smart business decision. Tacomas have a cult following, and many buyers want an offroad truck with a manual. Similar to how many Jeep buyers want a manual. The last gen auto also wasn't great, it favored keeping the truck in the tallest gear for mpg which swayed a lot of buyers towards the manual.

I drover nothing but a manual for at least 15 years, and I would like a manual now for funzies, but not in a daily driver anymore, and not for going off road either - auto is better for that also IMHO.

I know people like to think manuals are more reliable. My Xterra has 380K+ on the original slushbox. The guys that bought the manual version change a clutch about every 100K. So IMHO even that part is no longer true - its a wash at best.

Maybe if you were towing a lot or something - less heat concerns.

Yea, but then you get the question...'so, are you doing anything next Saturday?'
OMG, that's the story of my younger days.
One good thing about having the only truck on my street is, it comes back with a full tank. And CA gas ain't exactly cheap, ya know.

I wonder what the take rate is for the current Tacoma with the manual?

Haha, you posted a few seconds before me.

I would have bought the manual when I bought my 2019 Tacoma...but it was only available in the short bed. I much prefer the "standard" size bed, so I had to give up the manual transmission.

:(

Ed

Back