Toyota will still have the manual in the new Tacoma

Manual trans Tacoma is the only way to go!

4A4NfS3.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised when they sent that teaser out. More than likely they'll only put it in the higher optioned trucks like the current gen. As of 2023 can only get a manual in a DCSB TRD Offroad, ACLB & DCSB TRD Sport, and of course the TRD Pro. 4WD only, cannot get a stick in the 2WD.

Last edited:
I've never been one to want a manual in a truck. I'm sure many will be happy about this though. I drove manuals most of my life with the last 5 years being the exception. I don't really miss it, especially in such a densely populated area that I live in.

I used to be pretty hardcore on the handshaker option. But after towing a LOT with the super wide ratio 5 speed in my F-350, I'm on board with the automatic in a truck.

Hopefully they will be less touchy. The ones now are so easy to stall out. I’ve seen everyone at my shop that can drive stick stall one including myself lol.

Hopefully they'll put in a better reverse lockout. I've accidentally put it in reverse instead of 1st being in a hurry a couple times. Both times that woulda gone South quickly :oops:

Might keep some of my neighbors from borrowing it?
I've been asked once in 3 years. And for what he was trying to move, he could have moved it in a highlander if he was more diligent about packaging.

Most places offer delivery nowadays.....and for serious moves, you need something larger than a pickup anyway.

For suburbia, needing a pickup may be one of those things that are becoming.....mostly unnecessary.

Interesting that they will keep it. Last truck I had with a manual was a stripper 08 Colorado and that was hard to find. While I like manuals they seem almost impossible to find on the lots anymore. I believe there is currently 1 Camaro 2SS with a manual in my entire area sitting on a lot last time I was bored and looking at vehicles at dealers.

I used to be pretty hardcore on the handshaker option. But after towing a LOT with the super wide ratio 5 speed in my F-350, I'm on board with the automatic in a truck.
automatics have a lot of attributes which make them nice for towing.. torque multiplication... smotth starts on grades, oh gawd it is easy to back up and maneuver with an auto compared to a manual... and try connecting a trailer ball with a stick shift... and jockeying for that last inch. :)

automatics have a lot of attributes which make them nice for towing.. torque multiplication... smotth starts on grades, oh gawd it is easy to back up and maneuver with an auto compared to a manual... and try connecting a trailer ball with a stick shift... and jockeying for that last inch. :)

I leave the hubs unlocked in my truck and put it in 4lo. It helps a lot maneuvering trailers. In hills, the wide ratio 5 speed is terrible. It's either stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear screaming or can't barely able to keep up. If it had a torque converter, the engine would be able to be in the power band a lot more. And the torque multiplication once the converter decouples is a huge help.

And for that last inch to get to the trailer, I just leave it in neutral and push it back and forth as needed!

My last manual was in a 1988 Ford Ranger. I used to row it up and down Westheimer in Houston, to and from work.

my last manual equipped car was a 99 Hyundai Accent known as Barney..
because it was this ugly purple metallic..
I paid 800 for that car. drove it for 4 years and sold it for 600...

Manuals in Mexico are very popular, probably why they're still around.
For low hp/torque, manual can be useful. It also keeps you awake lol. It depends where you live and the traffic level. Anything less than LA traffic, I could drive a manual. Did it daily for over 10 years. What really kills you is slow crawls on the congested freeways. This type of commute to the west side caused me to sell my last manual daily driver.

Last edited:
Back