VW is ending the manual for the GTI.

:( I won’t be able to pick one up due to first year of collegefor daughter. When she graduates hopefully can find a used Golf R or GTI manual.

No one wants manuals in normal cars. So they don’t make them.

The sales numbers don’t lie …
I'm not sure many people even want cars anymore, they just want to get from point a to point b ASAP and don't care how it happens. If they had teleportation I doubt many people would drive

I know it is emissions driven. VW decided to squeeze living hell out of EA888. They think it will be able to carry them over until full EV. But, there are signs in Europe that hard push to EV might be soften as economic numbers are abysmal.
From what a few articles have said, Germany and seven other countries with large automotive ties are voting against the new regulations as they are ridiculous and won't make any noticeable difference. This isn't the late 80's anymore where US emissions were noticeably cleaner due to catalytic converters and efi. Enough with the overreaching regulations.

From what a few articles have said, Germany and seven other countries with large automotive ties are voting against the new regulations as they are ridiculous and won't make any noticeable difference. This isn't the late 80's anymore where US emissions were noticeably cleaner due to catalytic converters and efi. Enough with the overreaching regulations.
The problem is economy. They are teetering on recession. The policies of Angela are starting to catch up.

:( I won’t be able to pick one up due to first year of collegefor daughter. When she graduates hopefully can find a used Golf R or GTI manual.

No one wants manuals in normal cars. So they don’t make them.

The sales numbers don’t lie …
The gti, golf R and from postings Mini Cooper are seeing high percentages of manual transmission buyers. The problem is the stupid EPA more or less has it out for manual transmission vehicles. The testing is stacked against the manual transmission and is making it increasingly difficult to pass. Plus if the same vehicle offers a manual and auto option and the manual has a 3 mpg deficit then the epa hoses the manufacturer with penalties if cafe isn't met.

No, it's apparently an issue with fuel economy and emissions regulations for Europe. They had already ended the manual in the Golf R, but the US still has it for now. Apparently 2024 will be the last year of the manual for it as well. The problem with the Golf R is at stock numbers of the DSG the clutch can't keep up, so they backed off power delivery in the stick version.

I know this car is and has been developed with the DSG in mind for years now, but that doesn't stop me from wanting the manual. I'll wait for the time being to see what happens if I actually decide to get it. I want it, but my car is like new now because that's how I always take care of my things. I just don't know if it makes sense to trade it. Completely emotional purchase for sure and I'm not so sure the new one is the better car.

IMG-0245.jpg

IMG-0244.jpg

IMG-0246.jpg

IMG-0247.jpg
If Dodge can make a manual transmission handle 707 horsepower then VW isn't trying apparently.

If Dodge can make a manual transmission handle 707 horsepower then VW isn't trying apparently.
Correct. They’re adding power, but they’re using a transmission and clutch originally developed for a car with 200hp.

Consequences of diesel gate. They are really trying to not invest and get by for some time. $42bln is a lot of money.
Especially for something that is going by the wayside. Like I said I want the car, but common sense may step in and have me keep my DSG car just because more thought was put into it and it can handle more power if I decide to add power.

Consequences of diesel gate. They are really trying to not invest and get by for some time. $42bln is a lot of money.
I started at a VW Dealership three weeks before dieselgate happened. If the company didn't have such a cheat to win attitude and stepped back they showed it was entirely possible to meet US and California emissions with a little investment. They ruined the diesel market, as they owned something like 75% of the light passenger vehicle diesel market. When the retrofitted the buyback vehicles dealerships were having customers line up out the door to get one. It shows that people still wanted a diesel vehicle.

I started at a VW Dealership three weeks before dieselgate happened. If the company didn't have such a cheat to win attitude and stepped back they showed it was entirely possible to meet US and California emissions with a little investment. They ruined the diesel market, as they owned something like 75% of the light passenger vehicle diesel market. When the retrofitted the buyback vehicles dealerships were having customers line up out the door to get one. It shows that people still wanted a diesel vehicle.
The problem was SCR. SCR would add dramatic cost. In Europe at that time emission standards didn’t require SCR in many vehicles, but the US had more stringent NOx standards.
Then there is reliability, SCR is still iffy even today. Of course, they could do this fix immediately, but hp would be down, EPA mpg and they thought that wouldn’t be enough to justify investment. The thing is that cheating wasn’t some big conspiracy. It didn’t involve that many people, so it is hard to imagine admitting to others why power has to go down and bad mpg numbers. In Europe it wouldn’t be competitive at all.
Add to that corporate culture in VW in Germany, which was full of hubris.

Why can't I just have a car less than 2000 lbs with a manual and a nice high revving engine. I don't need no traction control or sbp or direct injection, I just want something like a 1999 Integra R

The Mirage was available with a manual until last year and is under or near 2000 lb :)

My brother in law picked up brand new Golf TDI fixed for $18k with 100k+ warranty included. Not sure they were flying out door. They sorely miss their buyback Jetta Sportswagon.

Why can't I just have a car less than 2000 lbs with a manual and a nice high revving engine. I don't need no traction control or sbp or direct injection, I just want something like a 1999 Integra R
Morgan Plus Four and Plus Six come with MT. I don't expect them to go away anytime soon.

Morgan Plus Four and Plus Six come with MT. I don't expect them to go away anytime soon.
Donkervoort is coming to the usa finally. 2.5 inline 5 from the Audi rs3 with a manual transmission. Just be prepared to pay out the nose

Last edited:
I've been talking this over with my wife. She's as usual in full support of my decision and I love that she wants me to have what I want, but I'm not sure I want this car so much. What I want to do is to do something irrational like manual swap my current car. That sounds like more trouble than what it's worth for what is objectively a worse transmission that holds less power, unless I put a ridiculous clutch in it while I'm at it.

Part of the positive for the 2024 is that it's 6 years newer than my 2018. That can't be discounted either. My current car won't last forever as a daily and this is the last opportunity for a new manual.

Back