Toyota Equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other then the high priced Toyota jug, what is the equivalent for Toyota pink long life? What about the red?

Thanks for knowledgeable replys Gents.

Boy I'd like to know the answer to this too. Got a 2007 Tundra and would like to know what aftermarket product I can use other than the Toyota fluid...

thanks,
ben

The pink stuff is Ultra Long Life and is premixed and does not have a commerical counter part. It is less then $20 a gallon I think I payed $12+tax for a gallon if it. Seeing how seldom one needs to change it I would just save up and buy what you need. If you are out of warranty then you can try a lot of different products if you are willing to do a good job flushing and draining the block and radiator. G-02 or DexCool could work just fine. I personely prefer G-02 to Dexcool but that is just me. My Dad has had DexCool in his 1995 Tacoma for at least the last 5 years maybe longer.

Can someone explain me the motivation of going non OEM on coolants?

Do these OTC coolant companies understand all of the Al chemistries out there that go into engines from across the world?

Is there any warranty to the OTC products, sure there is no warranty for OEM coolant but then there is a peace of mind that what was replaced as the same that went in...?

Commom guys you can go and spend >$30K for a Tundra, why not spend $20 once in three yrs for the coolant. Any shortcuts with coolants will give more headaches down the lane.

Quote:

Convenience and expense. I bought a used Tacoma from a private party and a dealer is over 35 miles from me. I'd also hate to think Toyota has a monopoly on coolant for their vehicles.

Thanks for the correction I meant G-05 and was thinking G-05 do not know how G-02 got in their!!! %&it Happens!
getdown.gif

Their is no warranty on an out of warranty vechile???Toyota is not going to do anything for anyone just becuase they used OEM products once the vechile is out of warranty! Yes, OTC companies understand the various materials in common use in automotive applications.

If Dexcool was going to kill Dad's Toyota I am sure the 5 years of use would have given it ample time to do so! Sure I agree it is always best to use OEM product if it is vastly different from OTC but it is not a do or die situation.I drive 40 miles one way to my nearest Toyota dealership once a year to get my coolant. I drain and refill the radiator and resovoir ever year. I do not worry about doing a flush since I change it out 1/2 the volume so freq.

Quote:

Quote:

Convenience and expense. I bought a used Tacoma from a private party and a dealer is over 35 miles from me. I'd also hate to think Toyota has a monopoly on coolant for their vehicles.

My reason is the same. The closest Toyota dealer is 85 miles away in a town I don't visit often if at all. No way I'm gonna spend 4 hours driving to buy a jug of coolant when I can buy one in town.

My 00 Camry ran green Prestone between 2002 and 2006 during which I accumulated some 60000 miles. No cooling problems. I put G-05 in for about 1000 mile. I don't know how that turned out because I totaled my car after that.

After extensive searches, I see G-05 is mentioned as a replacement. Toyota however, only says to use their own stuff 'cause they want to sell their coolant.

Is G-05 a replacement for Toyota Pink?

There is no direct substitute for Toyota Pink available after market. However, G-05 or "generic" green coolant can be used in place of it.

What I mean is that the formulation is different, but G-05 should still be ok to replace Toyota Pink.

Last edited:
G-05 is what Daimler Benz developed for it's vechiles. It is a long life product and is not offensive to plastic parts like some insist Dexcool is. Toyota does not use Dexcool chemistry becuase they think that one of the ingredients can harm plastic parts that it pass's through so they developed their own formula. Ford also came up with their own formula after testing Dexcool for a while. They also have some issues with 's plastic compatability. Zerex G-05 is the only over the counter product that I am aware of that is not a Dexcool clone! All of the other all makes all model types of coolant are basicly Dexcool formula with different color dye added in some cases.I would not use the green stuff simply becuase of the combination of phosphates and silicate levels being really high.

The answer I have gotton frm aftermarket tech help is that brand x is ok, but for Toyota pink they do not say it is a direct replacement, again just ok to use. For my 4Runner it's Toyota pink, just to be safe.

you can run green prestone coolant in toyotas. esp 2004 and older.. just dont mix the red with the green. i know this is true for tacomas and 4 runners.. my yota dealer uses the green coolant if they are out of red yota coolant.. just do the maintanence that is required mileage wise or time

Thanks Mike. I think if Toyota corporate knew what they were doing, they would have a fit. The traditional green (if that is what it is) is a high silicate formula, which Toyota does not like. Toyota has gone the way of the phosphates instead of silicates. That is why the G-05 is a better fit--it is a low silicate formula.

Last edited:
You guys need to bone up just a bit before spewing "facts" about coolants.

JohnBrowning, maybe your wording is just a bit incorrect, or you were trying to say it differently. I don't believe Chrysler "developed" G-05 and......Ford developed their own formula?....if they did, they abandoned it, because they also use G-05. If my feeble mind recounts correctly, G-05 has been used by John Deere for nearly 20 years. Someone correct me, if I am wrong.

And....."high" silicate conventional "green" coolant is a thing of the past. Today's conventional coolants have also been re-engineered. They are low silicate with phosphates. G-05 are low silicate, no phosphates.

Zerex's conventional green coolant can be used in diesel engines with the addition of SCA's. The old "high" silicate formulations were verboten in diesels.

You guys keep posting your test results using a different chemistry in your radiators. 60k problem free miles is not enough evidence for me.

Mike,

I thought that today's Prestone green all makes was a "dex-clone" (OAT) with no silicates or phosphates.

What chemistry does Toyota use OEM.

Confusing. Here's a very interesting article challenging Prestone's "all makes" claim:

http://www.nadreview.org/DocFile.asp?Pag...DocumentID=5775

Raised enough doubt for me not to use it in a $25K vehicle, just to save $10 in coolant costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back