Toyota Equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that what the dealership is using? AFAIK, Toyota's line is no silicates, so they still wouldn't like one of their dealerships doing this.

Last edited:
the any make any model uses phosphates (which yota uses) not silicates... i know plenty of people with 200 miles or more on their yota using just the prestone basic which is full of silicates.... i understand you guys wanting to use the yota antifreeze but it is more expensive and i drive ALOT of miles so it would be better for me to use the prestone any make any model bc for one its alot cheaper and a lot easier for me to get.. but again i do have my doubts though i know people that use it with NO issue at all

dude that article is over 5 years old.. thats about when they came out with the any make and any model prestone so of course there are kinks in it... contact prestone and find out if they have any silicates in that formula. if they do not use silicats in that formula then its ok for toyota use but i am pretty sure it doesnt have any in it.

i just talked to a prestone rep and he said that their "all make all model" formula does NOT have silicates in it. so therefore its safe for toyota and all other japanese vehicles that recommend not to use silicate coolant.... you are welcome guys haha

This is old info but back in the early to mid 90's I used to sell Longo Toyota, the alrgest Toyota dealer in the world back then, pallets of green antifreeze. Parts and Service manager said back then there was no difference between green and red and used green for warranty and service work all the time.

Interesting thread. My Scions call for the super long life pre-mixed pink. I went in to a local Toyota/Scion dealership a few days ago to pick up a gallon and was told there is no such thing. "The only coolant Toyota has is this here red". I purchased at another dealer and took it back to show the parts manager. He said 'hmm must be new for 08 because I've never heard of it. We use red or green in everything'.

This is the same place that uses bulk 10W30 in EVERYTHING but won't sell me the larger oil filter that fits my car because 'it ain't the right part'.

i wouldnt go back to that dealership then. they sound like a bunch of ----.. 50-50 pink has been around for a few years. i am going with the prestone bc its cheaper and easier for me to get and will work well in my tacoma

Mike, that article I cited about the NAD challenging (and not substantiating) Prestone's claim of "all makes" is from 2006. Here is another article in more detail confirming the date:

http://www.gohtsn.com/article_321.shtml

In one thread you claim Toyota prefers high phosphate inhibiter coolants. You realize, don't you, that Preston All Makes is OAT technology and contains neither silicates or phosphates.

Here is an excellent, very comprehensive article for those thinking of changing coolant chemistry:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200408/ai_n9453107/pg_1

Finally, the two threads with divergent advice given by dealers is why I don't trust them. For the record, I hate the direction this "brand specific" fluids thing is going.

yeah i do realize that and from what i was told was that as long as you do not use a silicate coolant you are fine. The OAT (if i am not mistaken) does the same as phosphates as far as what they are supposed to do as rust inhibitors and etc. also yota red and yota pind do not last as long as they say (as do most coolants) and with yota coolant it gets VERY acidic over time and can damage the inside of your coolant system. the mechanic i talked to said use the prestone all make all model bc it doesnt get as acidic over time and plust its easier for me to get and is cheaper.. he basically told me that yota coolant is way over priced and way over rated.. the main thing is to keep it cleaned and flushed for deposit control and rust

this statement came from your article you posted btw :)

"Didn't we talk about all these coolants last year? You bet, and we'll probably be talking about them for years to come. Since last year, however, Honda and Toyota have moved strongly into extended-life organic acid technology (OAT) coolants"

now i know my 02 didnt come with OAT in it but it should be ok as long as i do the maintanence that is required

Mike, the only OAT component of the Japanese coolants is the corrosion inhibitor sebacate. According to the phone conversation I had with Prestone, their product doesn't use sebacate OR phoshphate reccommended by the Japanese auto makers.

I asked the Prestone techie if the corrosion inhibitor in Prestone Extended Life was sebacate (what Toyota /Honda uses) or 2-EHA (not recommended by the Japanese).

The techie answered "um, ah, I think it is hexolate". "Maybe" he meant 2-Ethylhexyl Acrylate (I don't know), aka, 2-EHA, which the Japanese really frown upon for their engines.

Maybe the Prestone product will work fine. Please keep us posted after several years use. I am curious, but not enough to test it in my engine.

its either ****ed if you do ****ed if you dont now hahahah... they dont recomend OAT but yet they some in there and if you get yota coolant even the long life you better change it out frequently or it will get VERY acidic and eat up the inside of your motor... hahah well ----.. which way do i go now??

This all can get very confusing Gents, so back to my original question please...

What is the equivalent to Toyota's 'Pink super long life coolant'?

The problem with no phosphates and no silicates is there is no short-term protection when the passivating layer gets disturbed. The Japanese coolants are an HOAT because they include the phosphates. This is the best of both worlds. OAT = Dexcool. I prefer to stick with the Toyota brand. There is no substitute that I am aware of. I have been using the red though.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting note for this thread.

Every year, usually in March, Toyota announces their supplier awards, and one of the "winners" this year was Honeywell Consumer Products Group for their "long life coolant/antifreeze". Honeywell CPG makes and markets all the Prestone coolant types.

Apparently HCPG makes the Toyota OEM pink but won't sell an aftermarket version, probably due to some agreement with Toyota.
dunno.gif

Toyota Supplier Awards, March 2006

Quote:

Here is an interesting note for this thread.

Every year, usually in March, Toyota announces their supplier awards, and one of the "winners" this year was Honeywell Consumer Products Group for their "long life coolant/antifreeze". Honeywell CPG makes and markets all the Prestone coolant types.

Apparently HCPG makes the Toyota OEM pink but won't sell an aftermarket version, probably due to some agreement with Toyota.
dunno.gif

Toyota Supplier Awards, March 2006

Ummm... Then tell me why Toyota Red and Pink have the same bottle shape, label layout and date coding as Peak...

Quote:

Ummm... Then tell me why Toyota Red and Pink have the same bottle shape, label layout and date coding as Peak...

I can't explain the bottle similarities. All I have to go on is the Toyota supplier information in the article:

Quote:

Supplier Name - Honeywell Consumer Pruducts Group
Commodity - Long life coolant/antifreeze

Quote:

Can someone explain me the motivation of going non OEM on coolants?

Do these OTC coolant companies understand all of the Al chemistries out there that go into engines from across the world?

Is there any warranty to the OTC products, sure there is no warranty for OEM coolant but then there is a peace of mind that what was replaced as the same that went in...?

Commom guys you can go and spend >$30K for a Tundra, why not spend $20 once in three yrs for the coolant. Any shortcuts with coolants will give more headaches down the lane.

I agree completely. But to each his own, your vehicle, do to it as you please.

But also realize like some have said if you have to drive 5 hours to the dealership then an alternative is certainly acceptable if it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back