Toyota Corolla 2004 compatible with Honda type 2 coolant?

Gentlemen,
In Europe the original Toyota red long life coolant concentrate is very expensive 80 usd but Honda type 2 blue ready to use is only 33 usd for 5 l.
Both are p-oat, as I know so, can use the Honda coolant for abovmetion vehicle.
The other option is Prestone all vehicle - oat coolant without phosphate.
Thanks for your help!

the price difference is probably related to the brand, I generally use Prestone one size fits all coolant.. and when it comes to a drain and refill you can generally use just about anything you want. Unless you are OCD, then you have to use what the OEM specs or you will worry about it. :)

I have a 2008 Corolla which is the same generation as your 2004 and I've been running PEAK Global Lifetime coolant for the past several years with no issues. I believe you'd be fine running the Honda coolant after a complete flush. The only issue is it's hard to get a 50/50 mix after a flush if the Honda stuff is premixed with water (not concentrate). I'd probably just do a drain and refill with the Honda stuff.

I have a 2008 Corolla which is the same generation as your 2004 and I've been running PEAK Global Lifetime coolant for the past several years with no issues. I believe you'd be fine running the Honda coolant after a complete flush. The only issue is it's hard to get a 50/50 mix after a flush if the Honda stuff is premixed with water (not concentrate). I'd probably just do a drain and refill with the Honda stuff.
FWIW coolant can be mixed anywhere between 30/70 to 70/30.. 50/50 provides a respectable level of freezing protection and a person can always mmix concentrate with distilled water. it will be close enough..

I used the universal coolant in my 2003 Corolla and some non-Toyota Asian pink coolant in the 2004. I forget which brand. Both worked fine with a drain and refill. i.e., nothing blew up or leaked or overeheated.

FWIW coolant can be mixed anywhere between 30/70 to 70/30.. 50/50 provides a respectable level of freezing protection and a person can always mix concentrate with distilled water. it will be close enough..
True...but depending on where in Europe the OP is located....30/70 may not be enough freezing protection. I always prefer using 'concentrate' because after flushing with distilled water I just add 1/2 the systems capacity of coolant to achieve a 50/50 mix. It's difficult and costly to get a 50/50 mix using premixed coolant after a flush with water. If I were the OP I'd just D&R using the Honda premix.

Last edited:
yes
I used the universal coolant in my 2003 Corolla and some non-Toyota Asian pink coolant in the 2004. I forget which brand. Both worked fine with a drain and refill. i.e., nothing blew up or leaked or overeheated.
but my mix with g12 and Toyota coolant after 2 years and 5 000 miles resulted in nice brownish Color….

True...but depending on where in Europe the OP is located....30/70 may not be enough freezing protection. I always prefer using 'concentrate' because after flushing with distilled water I just add 1/2 the systems capacity of coolant to achieve a 50/50 mix. It's difficult and costly to get a 50/50 mix using premixed coolant after a flush with water. If I were the OP I'd just D&R using the Honda premix.
I thought with Dw 3 times and than add Prestone all vehicles or Honda type 2. Of course my system is 5.7 l. and the first drain should be important to make calculations with Honda ready to use coolant.
The variant wth honda 2 type should be more expensive and drain and refill minimum 2 times….

yes

but my mix with g12 and Toyota coolant after 2 years and 5 000 miles resulted in nice brownish Color….
Yes, it does turn a not so nice brownish color. LOL. Not the most pleasant.

like I said in reply#4 "give it some time... there are too many critics out there on this forum to expect that one vote to hold up. :) "

I have one more choice - Aisin ultra long live coolant, ready to use P-OAT, blue.
All vehicles.
What do you think? Is not cheap but a lot cheaper than Toyota llc red and Toyota pink.

i think the aisian blue coolant is a knockoff of the blue honda coolant. I've used the cheap blue p-oat without problems. i think you can use any coolant you want as long as you don't mix flavors and if you go with the iat green coolant you gotta change it often

Back