G12+ instead toyota sllc

Hi,
In Europe Toyota super long live coolant is pretty expensive - 1 gallon premixed is approximately $55....

For example, 5 L. RAVENOL OTC PROTECT C12+, OAT, premixed is $ 27 and has Toyota approvals.​

But the main question is can I use in my 1 zz fe (Toyota Corolla 2004 ) and my Toyota Yaris - 2006, coolants with approvals G12+?
Coolant G12 1.5 L. is $ 8.

do not use. Asian coolants are phosphate enhanced that are free of borate, nitrite, silicate and amines chemicals. G13 is silicate-enhanced organic acid technology (Si-OAT) formula. It contains high-quality organic acid corrosion inhibitors and is free of borate, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and amines chemicals. Just get the right stuff.

G13 is silicate enhanced.
My question was regarding for G12+?
G12 is not for Asian cars either And is an old euro formula. Use the right stuff. Phosphate enhanced. G12 is silicate-free organic acid technology (OAT) formulation. It contains high-quality organic acid corrosion inhibitors and is free of borate, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, silicate and amines chemicals.

G13 is silicate enhanced.
My question was regarding for G12+?
I see this all the time when coolants are mixed. Just don’t do it. You’ll end up with jelly, a clogged heater core, sediment in the hoses, blocked passages in engine. I seen this especially on Hondas and Toyotas where they used dex cool or any other North American coolant.

Thanks a lot for explanation. My Yaris 2006 from the factory was with Toyota red coolant. After 8 years there's a problem with water pump - leaking. So, which coolant is better for my old cars Toyota red (LLC) or pink (premixed) (Toyota corolla - 2004 and Yaris 2006)?

Last edited:
I had my coolant (toyota RAV4 2003) changed last year; initially stated looking at buying the pink SLLC and getting an indepedent garage to do the change.
I found out the having toyota UK dealer do the complete job was cheaper! So no brainer in my case. THe same went for brake fluid change.
You may find the same in your country

Unfortunately is not cheaper, the labor cost, antifreeze is more expensive than amazon. I'd like to make a flush with DI water.
5 years and 30 k miles with G12 red, time to change the coolant. The car is 20 years old.

Toyota SLLC and other Asian cars are using Phosphated base coolant either blue or pink are just colors. German and European cars in general use Silicate base coolant that less problematic with hard water in Europe especially Germany and France. Both are not compatible and overall phosphated base is better as long as not contaminated with tap water.

We should not mix them and I feel the same that Toyota SLLC is pretty expensive but it is a 10 year, and then 5 yearly interval stuff. Just get the right stuff and buy genuine Toyota from ATO24.de for about €38 per gallon.

Many German cars now use G13 and G12+ which is also super long life type (100k miles/10y interval). Some cars use silica bag inside the reservoir to keep the additive for anticorrosion and often leaks and caused catastrophic failure to cooling system. Because German cars like to oversell about low maintenance cost = early dead. They even promoting Longlife engine oil 2y/20k miles interval which is a joke for gasoline car. The oil consumption are ridiculous in those cars at only about 100k miles if they can even reach 100k miles without problems.

So, to save money, you can use 5w-30 longlife VW 506/507 certified engine oil on Toyota bust still do 10k miles or less. They are excellent cheap oil because of mass production. 506/507 standards are as good as DexosD or 1 gen 3, much better than API SP ILSAC GF6 or API SN from genuine Toyota oil (API SN).

Last edited:
Thank you for the long and informative, exact comment.
I agree with you in every word you say. It should be made “sticky” for the Europeans with Asian cars for the seeking coolant advice.
Regarding the oils I’m not agree with you, my answer should be off topic though.
In few words for older Toyota’s for exemple 15-20 old, I’m changing the oil accordingly auto/hours. I put usually a5/b5 oils or a3/b4 , even c3 oils just cause I’m little bit bittoger;) but the truth is that older Toyota’s a very easy on oil….

Back