Toyota Echo, 5w-30, Toyota Fill, 2113 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I bought a Toyota Echo 2005. At 2113, I sent the stock Toyota fill 5w-30 oil into Oil Analyzers for analysis. I replaced the stock oil with Amsoil S2000 0w-30 with Amsoil Filter. I am going to run this oil for 7500 miles and do another oil test. During the 2113 miles, average from 39 to 43mpg.

Anyways, here are my results:

OIL: Toyota 5w-30
OIL FILTER: Toyota Filter
Air FILTER: Toyota Filter
Miles On Vehicle: 2113
Miles On Oil: 2113

IRON: 7
CHROMIUM: 0
LEAD: 3
COPPER: 69
TIN: 12
ALUMINUM: 6
NICKEL: 0
SILVER: 0
SILICON: 242A
BORON: 588
SODIUM: 5
MAGNESIUM: 13
CALCIUM: 1508
BARIUM: 0
PHOSPHORUS: 980
ZINC: 1141
MOLYBDENUM: 374
TITANIUM: 0
VANADIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 0
FUEL: VIS@40C: N/A
VIS@100C: 14.69
WATER: 0
SOOT/SOLIDS: N/A
GLYCOL: NEG

TBN: 5.98
OXID: N/A
NITR: N/A
CHANGE: YES

LAB ANALYSIS:
Normal for break-in oil is suitable for continued use. Resample at next regular interval oxidation data is temporary unavailable while we review test methodology.

Any feedback?

Tin at 12ppm is not normal for Toyota, even for break-in factory fill. Watch closely for this element on your subsequent UOAs. It should be between 0~5ppm. Everything else normal for break-in wear.

[ May 22, 2005, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Ken4 ]

OAI told me that they recently purchased new equipment, perhaps thats why some of their readings are questionable?

Michael

I think it's the 242A on the silicon number that he is talking about. High silicon is normal in a new engine because of gaskets among other things, but usually numbers don't end with letters, just a typo I assume.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MN Driver:
I think it's the 242A on the silicon number that he is talking about. High silicon is normal in a new engine because of gaskets among other things, but usually numbers don't end with letters, just a typo I assume.
wink.gif

Actually I was refering to the Boron reading.

A few weeks ago, a sample of M1 and Schaeffer's processed by OAI lacked Oxidation/Nitration readings. I contacted them and they stated they were in the process of recalibrating their equipment.

I thought that might have been why the Boron readings is somewhat "funky" or questionable.

Michael

With a tin reading of 12PPM it makes me wounder if they might have coated the pistons with alow tech tin coating. You would expect to see moly or resin coating on pistons on a Toyota but who knows? Tin was an old school answere for break-in! I reliase that most of that silicone is from gasket leaching but with a tin reading that high I would still check for any type of air leaking past the filter!

Maybe he collected his sample in a 'tin' can. Tin cans have a micro-fine coating of tin to prevent corrosion.

Well, I replaced the stock filter when I did the oil change. I had the oil, after waiting 5 seconds go directly into the plastic cup provided for the oil analysis.

You guys are scaring me with your posts on this new car.

I'd say Toyota has gone to some special type of factory fill oil to achieve an optimized microfinish on their parts as they wear in together.

Very interesting....

The Sn is most likely a bearing overlay material and will drop over time. What puzzles me is the viscosity of 14.69 for a GF-4 rated, 5w-30 oil after only 2000 miles? That does look VERY odd....

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back