Toyota 0W20 Ford V10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvt

Hello- I have Toyota Camry 2.5 which specs 0W20. I bought a couple cases of Toyota 0W20 via Carson Toyota for the car.

I have 24' Class C motorhome with Ford V10 two valve. Do you think the Toyota oil would be good for the V10 as well? I'm currently using Mobil 1 5W20 in it.

While I think it would be "fine", I think the main benefit to it vs. other oils is for trips of less than 20 miles or so, since it flows more easily at start-up and is closer to the ideal viscosity as it gets up to temp. For a motorhome, I'd assume you're driving it for long stretches at a time, negating much of that benefit.

So, while I wouldn't go out of my way to get it (in this application), since you already have it on-hand I'd certainly have no reservations about using it. The UOA's posted on the SN-version of this oil show that it doesn't shear very much, so it's certainly as or more robust than a lot of other 20W oils.

welcome2.gif

to the dark side Shannow!

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
welcome2.gif

to the dark side Shannow!

Funny--exactly what I was thinking! quite the helpful answer...

It specs a 5W20 oil, and the Motorcraft spec has an hths of 2.78--however, there's some headroom in there since it doesn't account for shear, nor does it spec a synthetic oil. So, I wouldn't worry about using a shear-resistance 20W with hths in the 2.6 range. Also, if you look at the owner's manual (at least in my Ford), it "requires an API-rated 20W oil", and "recommends" an oil meeting Ford's spec.

The Motorcraft 5W20 always seems to shear a bit in use, so at the end of the day the Toyota oil will probably end up with similar hths.

The OP doesn't know what he's let himself in for.

This could become the new thin vs thick oil thread.

He'll be shaking his head and telling all his friends "But I just asked a simple question ......."

And the first two responses were provided in the most "simple" manner...complication and obfuscation.

If an XW-20 is too complicated to use in a vehicle specifically designed to use another xW-20, and rigorously tested to use an xW-20, then what hope does the average Joe have but to use the exact same oil as used in the test...let alone anything else.

To the OP, I reckon that you are on a solid footing using that oil in your motorhome. If you choose any reasonably premium brand in the recommended viscosity range you'll be better than the average mug.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If an XW-20 is too complicated to use in a vehicle specifically designed to use another xW-20, and rigorously tested to use an xW-20, then what hope does the average Joe have but to use the exact same oil as used in the test...let alone anything else.

But almost everyone these days has specs which require you to go beyond weight.

API, ILSAC, GM has dexos, MB has several, BMW has several, Audi, Porsche, Honda.

If they're following manufacturer instructions, nobody can choose oil on weight alone.

Surely, being versed and educated in the Ford suite, you can provide more than a "maybe" to the OP ???

It's a Ford V-10, and they tested it...Lots

Quote:
have 24' Class C motorhome with Ford V10 two valve. Do you think the Toyota oil would be good for the V10 as well?

Not at all. Other 2V modular engines to which this engine is a part of the same family have a proviso when they were backed spec's to 20w.
which is an 8500lb GVW.

Over 8500 5w30 and i'm sure your 24' motor home is heavier then that. You conditions are not exactly cold either.

0w40 or 5w40 will be perfect in this engine. Given the weight, the modular engine and the temperature conditions.
Personally i would run Mobil 1 0w40 in these engines without any reservtions.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Surely, being versed and educated in the Ford suite, you can provide more than a "maybe" to the OP ???

It's a Ford V-10, and they tested it...Lots

LOL Surely Ford drove it across the desert loaded up in their test. Loaded beyond what the average user could ever possibly imagine wasn't it?

While TGMO 0w20 may be possible, I cannot imagine a big hot engine towing a big body and a load running on an oil so thin. That engine would love T6 5w40.

Quote:
That engine would love T6 5w40.

Yes it would.
Quote:
While TGMO 0w20 may be possible,

Way too risky for me in this vehicle. Honestly i wouldn't sleep good with that in the sump.

Quote:
Why not? Ford Obviously Sleeps good over it.

Once its out of warranty i'm sure they do.
We don't even know if this engine was originally spec for 20w or a back spec deal.

The only V10 I have any experience with is the one in my '99 F350. Ford sent mine through with 5w-30 in the manual and on the oil cap. I have run a variety of oil viscosities in mine, and it does seem to prefer a 30 or 40 grade engine oil if it is worked hard. 5w-20 works well for winter (snow plow truck), but it is consumed about twice as fast during summer towing.

If the mfg specs a Xw20 engine oil then a 0w20 is the superior oil. Of those on the market the Toyota is one of the best so there's no issue there.

Best thing to do is monitor your engine oil temperature and pressure (and transmission temp while you're at it) and refer to the owners/service manual for the necessary limits.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
have 24' Class C motorhome with Ford V10 two valve. Do you think the Toyota oil would be good for the V10 as well?

Not at all. Other 2V modular engines to which this engine is a part of the same family have a proviso when they were backed spec's to 20w.
which is an 8500lb GVW.

Over 8500 5w30 and i'm sure your 24' motor home is heavier then that. You conditions are not exactly cold either.

0w40 or 5w40 will be perfect in this engine. Given the weight, the modular engine and the temperature conditions.
Personally i would run Mobil 1 0w40 in these engines without any reservtions.

I would have to dissagree. i have a f350 with a v10 that towes regularly and i use 5w20. its used that for years, and has 190k on it now and is as strong as ever. ive owned 5 different modular vehicles and they are all happiest on 20wt. sure in that vehicle one could consider a 30wt perhaps M1 0w30 AFE, but there is no need for a 40wt oil with HTHS in the high 3's in that engine even if it's being worked hard. It's a modular ford, the ones that ive ever seen stop running stopped running because they sludged up because of usingg bulk oils 10w30's at long intervals. I also have another 97 f150 4.6l it startd its life on pyb 5w30 and since 2001 has had 5w20 of various brands. today it has 287,000 miles and runs like new. you can barely hear it running. Im no fan of thick oil in the modulars, and im not fan of super thin oils either. I think there is a balance that is needed, and oil close to fords spec is all you need. afterall, the tortured ecoboost was beat on hard, and motorcraft syn-blend had no issues protecting that boosted engine. I would run it in that V10 motorhome any day and sleep like a baby every night.

Quote:
the tortured ecoboost was beat on hard, and motorcraft syn-blend had no issues protecting that boosted engine

One big problem with you observation is the ecobooost uses 5w30. not 20w.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back